Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. MQTT Subscriber trigger support as a first class trigger

Please add support for listening to MQTT 3.0 and 3.1 servers as a subscriber for a trigger. This would be immensely useful in IoT scenarios.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. better error handling for EventGrid calls that you want to retry

The Microsoft sample documentation (link below) suggests using a Run method with void return type. This doesn't allow convenient handling of errors that you want to handle by getting EventGrid to retry invoking the Azure Function again after a period. For example, my Azure Function sends a message to a server (Azure Container Instance) which may be down. In this situation I want EventGrid to invoke my Azure Function again after a period when the server might be up. However, with a void return type my only option seems to be that of throwing an exception (InvalidOperation?). Agreed, I could…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. consumption plan firewall enabled

Currently function apps is not working in consumption plan if we have firewall enabled in Event hub & Storage. We need support for this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is current support in the Functions Premium plan. You will need to configure service endpoints on your EH and storage account, virtual network integration on your function app, and enable virtual network triggers.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-networking-options#virtual-network-triggers-non-http

Support for the Consumption plan has no ETA, so keep the votes coming!

Alex
    Azure Functions PM Team

4. Add an empty / drain trigger to Azure Storage Queues

Currently there seems to be no easy way to run code as soon as a Storage Queue has been emptied. It would be great to have an empty or drain trigger to call a different Azure Function for some pre-processing of batch jobs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. At typescript compiler for Azure Functions

When creating Azure Function in typescript I need to compile it before testing it or deploying code to Azure. Maybe Azure Functions could have typescript complier (tsc/babel) included. That would shorten dev time for typescript developers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Visual Studio should warn that Functions developed in-portal will be overwritten

As the title states: Visual Studio should warn that Functions developed in-portal will be overwritten.

The design behaviour of Visual Studio deployments is to overwrite the whole app. This can be a problem for customers who have developed their Functions via the in-portal editor, and were not expecting them to be entirely overwritten.

I would think that we could detect this scenario and throw a warning screen before deploying.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Parse and validate "host.json" file during deployment

I'd suggest it would be a better experience to parse the function's "host.json" file during deployment and raise an error if any configuration setting is incorrect. Currently there's no indicator of an incorrect configuration in this file.

I've struggled with a function timing out regardless of the functionTimeout setting, and had to open a support ticket to get assistance of a support engineer to review the function's logs just to discover I've included an extra pair of double quotes. This would not show in the portal nor in the application insights service attached to the function. Instead of getting an…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Improve Error Messaging for Function App Deployment (App Settings)

When deploying a function app to Azure Government, provide more specific error messaging when appsettings values are incompatible or otherwise contain errors.

When updating settings, the only error message a user will receive from Set-AzWebApp seems to be the 400 Bad Request, and from the portal, the "(InternalServerError) from host runtime.

This makes debugging deployments very difficult.

The same idea could likely feed back to commercial deployments, too.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. More Descriptive Error Message - Platform Version discrepancy

When an exception is thrown based on incorrect platform version please provide more descriptive error messages. The error message received was:
    'Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.PrivacyServices.CommandFeed.Client, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=74a17481026a49c7'. Could not find or load a specific file.'

A message indicating could not load foo.dll, found 64-bit version.  App is 32-bit would be very helpful in determining resolution.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow configuration of Storage Account for Function with Event Hub input binding

Currently, an Azure Function gets one Storage Account, which is configured via the AzureWebJobsStorage property.

This Storage Account is then used for any meta-data that the Function may need to store to work as expected.

In the case of an Event Hub input bound Function, a blob container is created, which tracks the checkpoint of every partition in the Event Hub.

Due to the Storage Account requirements for a Function, it is not possible to take advantage of Premium Storage for the Event Hub checkpointing process.

While it makes sense to require a Storage Account that can support multiple types…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. use key vault reference in local.settings.json

would like the ability to use the new key vault reference in local.settings.json for local debugging instead of needing to have secrets in plain text. this would allow dev teams to leverage key vault as the central location for secret management.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. More Descriptive Incompatible Runtime Error Messages

When an exception is thrown based on incompatible runtime versions please provide more descriptive error messages. The error message received was the generic 'internal server error'. A message indicating conflicting versions of dotnet runtime in Azure Config and a function being deployed would be more descriptive.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Reduce the price of Premium instances

I could run a VM that costs me much less for the same configuration. To me, the price for pre-warmed instances seems too high.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support for PHP

PHP support timelines.
    This is the only reason my company still uses AWS

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add Elastic Scale Plan (pre-warmed instances) in Gov Cloud

When auto-scaling the number of instances for a Function, API requests are routed to new instances before they are ready (warmed up) causing failures/timeouts for those requests. In regular cloud, this is solved by using the Elastic Scale consumption plan that lets you specify the number of pre-warmed instances (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-premium-plan#pre-warmed-instances). Please bring this same plan to Gov Cloud.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Specify a custom window for platform updates to WebApps, Functions, etc.

I want to be able to request platform upgrades only restart my site within a specific window, say outside of business hours.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is great feedback.
    We strive for platform upgrades to happen transparently to you, however, they will restart every worker for your function app while performing a platform upgrade.

We do not currently have the infrastructure to make this publicly available, but keep the votes coming!

Thanks!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team!

17. Support custom containers in a consumption plan

My use case is that we need to generate licenses on the fly via an external web app. Currently, we are generating licenses ahead of time by using Selenium to navigate the external app. We would like to just So basically, whenever we need a new license, we would like to just spin up a new container, run the Selenium script and then shutdown the container.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. When publishing through Visual Studio, create the storage account on the same region as the function

I deployed my function through Visual Studio, creating a new one on an existing resource group.

I chose to create a new Storage Account as well.

I chose eastus2 as the region for my function. But after the deployment succeeded, I noticed that the region for the storage I created during the functions deployment was set for Central US.

I'd like the created storage to be on the same region of the function. I double checked and there's no way to select a region for the storage you create in deployment time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Share RUs with a Serverless Function

A popular pattern is to build a REST API using serverless Function with Http trigger, backed by Cosmos DB. Serverless is a very popular paradigm, and Cosmos is the best cloud database, so it's no wonder that customers are interested in this combination. However, the problem in this scenario is the cold start of the serverless Function, which negates the low-latency benefits of CosmosDB provisioning.

It would be great to allow sharing the RUs provisioned for Cosmos DB collection with serverless functions running against the same collection. Let the Function execution consume some extra RUs, depending on the complexity of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Enable Reader Access to view Azure Functions Monitor area so that they can view the running state of that Azure Function.

Enable Reader Access to view Azure Functions Monitor area so that they can view the running state of that Azure Function. This is important for Prod environments where most users only have only Reader access.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is currently unsupported, along with a large set of features that do not work in the portal with only reader view.
    There is work underway to remove this requirement, and allow us to enable UI for reader access.
    I will update this issue once we have planned that work.

In the meantime, you can still view your logging information directly in the Application Insights instance for your Function App as a reader.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base