Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Quartz Timer Feature

Please enhance Azure Functions or Azure in general that exposes an API against which we can post quartz like timer jobs.

Would be great to set a timer in Azure that can eventually trigger an Azure Function when executing.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Device Twin Trigger from IoT Hub

Add a trigger when a chance occurs in the IoT Hub device twin

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Scala support for Azure Functions

The Java worker for Functions allows Scala to be exectured in Functions relatively easily. It would be great to see Microsoft support Scala as they do Java with MSFT endorced build and deploy practices.

See post here seeing how easy it is to deploy manually https://monteledwards.com/2018/10/07/deploying-scala-code-on-azure-functions/

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Azure Function C# template to use nameof() and appropriate function name

How about change C# template like below form?

[FunctionName(nameof(HttpTriggerCSharp))
    public static ...HttpTriggerCSharp(...)
    {
    }

I think all of functions name has Run() might not reasonable. and utilize nameof() could be very helpful to change function name and readibility

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Wildcard within path of blob input bindings

I wish we could specify blob storage input bindings path that included wildcard.

--- function.json
    {
    "type": "blob",
    "name": "faces",
    "path": "face/profile-{date}-*.png",
    "connection": "AzureWebJobsDashboard",
    "direction": "in"
    }

Then, I hope to process these as array of Blob objects.

---index.js

module.exports = function (context, myQueueItem) {

const fileSizeList = context.bindings.faces.map(face => face.size);

context.log(fileSizeList);
    context.done();

};

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Azure B2C Trigger

It would be really helpful to be able to have triggers on Azure B2C, for example on new user added take some action etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add binding attribute to control function scaling

We use azure functions extensively. One of the issues we have is not being able to control individual functions scaling. I am not talking bout the function app here, but the functions themselves.

Using the new attribute binding system could be a very nice way to set the max number of instances a function can spawn.
    [MaxParallelExecution(5)] or something like that.

this would make it so that particular function does not scale over 5 instances.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Sync code from blob storage

I find the current deployment model way too difficult to work with. Please consider supporting auto-sync from blob storage, similar to what aws lambda offers.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Output to Service Bus Queues Dynamically

I have an Azure Function that binds to an input Event Hub and an output Service Bus Namespace. The output binding accepts the name of a queue. However, the event data coming from the Event Hub can potentially go to different queues. The determinant is in the message data. It would be nice to be able to tokenize the queue destination based on event data coming from the Event Hub

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Elastic Scale Plan (pre-warmed instances) in Gov Cloud

When auto-scaling the number of instances for a Function, API requests are routed to new instances before they are ready (warmed up) causing failures/timeouts for those requests. In regular cloud, this is solved by using the Elastic Scale consumption plan that lets you specify the number of pre-warmed instances (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-premium-plan#pre-warmed-instances). Please bring this same plan to Gov Cloud.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Address Azure Functions Resiliency Weakness to Azure Service DNS issues

Azure DNS issue R50C-5RZ caused multiple core Azure function triggers to fail across our subscriptions due to loss of access to Storage Accounts.

The DNS issue made all our storage accounts temporarily unresolvable by DNS and because of the tight coupling with Azure functions, function triggers failed due to the inability to resolve storage account urls but did not recover when the DNS issue was corrected.

There were some Socketexception / 'remote host not found' errors logged in App insights but seemed to be no way to know that the trigger was in a failed state (unless a build up…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an awesome idea!
    We’re very unlikely to be able to reduce our dependency on DNS, but we can generally handle failing triggers more gracefully.

“Handle temporary loss of a storage account without requiring a manual restart” is a scenario we’re targeting.

Keep the feedback coming!
    Alex

12. Provide memory usage data in context object

It would be great if we could manage memory in realtime in our code. Please provide a method to check memory usage in the context object so that we can take mitigating steps in our code if there is not enough memory.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. local settings json

Add the ability to create a template local.settings.json file in the dev tooling for VSCode and Visual Studio. Since local.settings is git-ignored by default, when a developer clones down a repo they often have to re-create a local.settings.json file. To do this it involves simply creating a bare json file and hand-coding the right schema/values. It would improve developer productivity to add a "New local settings file..." option to the dev tooling which creates the same skeleton file a dev is given in a new function project.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Geo-availability integration a la CosmosDB for Consumption Plan

For Functions in a Consumption Plan, it's a bit arduous to get them to be geo-distributed (have to set up deployment to all the various regions you want to support, add APIM/Traffic Manager to handle). It would be super awesome if Functions had a setup like CosmosDB where you deployed them once, then "lit up" the geos you want the code replicated to. Then, not too much different than the request in #214 , an "invisible" Traffic Manager service could be provided on the endpoint for the Function to hit the nearest geo to the end user.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support for "delete" DocumentDB Change Feed Trigger

Currently there is support for DocumentDB Change Feeds which only trigger for Insert and Update changes, however there is no way of picking up Delete changes to a collection

My use case has a real-time web application which relies on these change triggers to update the User Interface through Web Sockets that a change to a document/collection has taken place, at the moment I am having to implement this manually through a delete API call but that does not solve the problem if a document is manually deleted at source (for example).

A Delete of a document (IMHumbleO) is as…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fine grained function billing please

Please add a more fine grained billing please.

A minimum execution of 100 ms and 128 MB is to coarse. A lot of my functions execute within 10ms or less and use less than 128 MB of RAM.

Please add more fine grained executions possible (10ms or even per ms) and in smaller memory steps, maybe 16 or 32 MB.

Also make async execution time not count toward function execution time, because if is often not in our control (waiting for an slow external service, database or slow response writing because the caller of the Azure Function has a very…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ruby functions

Be able to write Azure functions in Ruby

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add an empty / drain trigger to Azure Storage Queues

Currently there seems to be no easy way to run code as soon as a Storage Queue has been emptied. It would be great to have an empty or drain trigger to call a different Azure Function for some pre-processing of batch jobs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SMTP Triggers

Functions are great for building HTTP-based Apis. Our SMS-api supports both HTTP(S) and SMTP(Mail 2 SMS).

In order to use Functions, we would need to be able to bind one or more email domains to it and use email as triggers

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. When publishing through Visual Studio, create the storage account on the same region as the function

I deployed my function through Visual Studio, creating a new one on an existing resource group.

I chose to create a new Storage Account as well.

I chose eastus2 as the region for my function. But after the deployment succeeded, I noticed that the region for the storage I created during the functions deployment was set for Central US.

I'd like the created storage to be on the same region of the function. I double checked and there's no way to select a region for the storage you create in deployment time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base