Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide high-level monitoring experience (similar to Data Factory)

It would be great to have high-level monitoring available that visualizes all the functions in an instance, similar to how Azure Data Factory does it in the Monitor-feature.

Following information would be interesting:

• Failure rate per function

• Dependency metrics per binding, per function (similar to AI Dependency)

• Function state (enabled/disabled)

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Restrict IPs in Azure Functions Proxies

I want IP restriction in Azure Functions Proxies. My customer has a security policy that IPs are whitelisted. Current solutions are to host AppServices plan or API management. This feature is essential for enterprise customers.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Nuget support in a modern way

Hi, it's great that we can upload some binaries and than referencing to dlls directly, also- we can reference to nuget in project.json https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-reference-csharp#package-management

But project.json was announced as a legacy thing even for asp.net core. in RC1 for VS2017- you will see that even in asp.net core we are not using project.json anymore.

We need some consistent/up-to-date experience with other product.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support proper packaging and deployment file MSDeploy zip file

As a person who does ALM, I want the ability to package and deploy my Azure functions using MSDeploy packages so that I can integrated Azure functions into my (VSTS) build pipeline.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support Linux + Python support for Azure functions

Please support python based Azure functions that run in a Linux Docker container.

Linux Docker containers are already supported so we are half of the way there and Python is working/supported on windows preview.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-create-function-linux-custom-image

Currently if you try to create a simple python based Azure function on Linux preview you get the error: HttpTriggerPy1: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The use case here is being able to run "enterprise" python 2 environments with hard dependencies on Linux. I can verify python runs correctly and can send an example Dockerfile if needed.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Running Python Functions in a Linux-based container is already supported today. More info here – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-create-function-linux-custom-image

However, if you’re trying to run Python 2, extending the default image will not work since the language worker only supports 3.6.x or later. Instead, you’ll need to write your own language worker for the required version.

7. 13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Different App Settings per Environment/Publish Target

When developing Azure Functions in Visual Studio, developers can publish a given function to one or more publish targets. These are typically different Azure App Services that represent different environments - like Development, Production etc.

Often different environments (or more generally, different publish targets) use different application settings at run-time. For example, in the dev. env. the appsettings.json file would contain a connection string to the dev. DB whereas the prod. env. would use a different value.

For Azure Functions, it would be great if there was a way to let developers have different versions of the appsettings.json file -…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Visual Studios Code tooling

We need not only big Visual Studio tools, but also Visual Studio Code tools. At least for Nodejs, since we are not windows only company for a couple of years.

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/13301214-visual-studios-tooling-with-local-execution-debug

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bring the context object to more languages

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/functions-reference/#comment-2605996917

The javascript runtime provides a "context" object that is referenced to include things like parameters, bindings, and the 'done' reporting mechanism.

For simplicity and consistency purposes, I'd expect to see this across languages.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow running for greater than 10 minutes on a Consumption plan

The current limit of 10 minutes is not viable for some processing scenarios we have. We cannot use Durable Functions to solve our processing needs either. We simply need more time. Let us configure a longer timeout than 10 minutes and pay you for the run time. :)

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Should support hybrid connections

would be great if Azure functions would support Hybrid connections like other Web Apps. this intro blog says it does: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-azure-functions/
    but I cannot find it anywhere since the networking tab is not available in settings in the app.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Compile other .cs files alongside Run.csx

It would be handy to submit additional .cs files that get compiled along with the Run.csx file.

This way, we can organize our function code more effectively, but without the overhead of building a separate .dll/NuGet package.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c20c58b4-87fc-4179-bfc9-dddd654d1c2a/can-i-upload-a-project-or-set-of-fliles-instead-of-just-the-online-editor-for-a-single-file-in-azure

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. consumption plan china

Currently Azure Function Apps cannot be hosted on a Consumption Plan if the target Cloud is China.

See: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/appserviceteam/2018/03/28/announcing-the-availability-of-azure-functions-in-national-clouds/

We would like to have the capability to use the Consumption Plan also on this Azure Region.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. update AzureRM modules in azure function app

i am using azure poweershell function with http trigger but the problem is it has very old version of AzureRM and all other azureRM modules and there is no option i can simply update modules in powershell function.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow for newer versions of nodejs.

Currently the only version of node available is 6.5.0 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-reference-node

It would be great if we could use newer versions to take advantage of packages that require newer versions and newer language features.

Version 8.x+ would be very helpful.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. JVM support for Azure Functions

JVM languages such as Scala, Java etc should be fully supported in Azure Functions as they are by the competition

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow running a Function for more than 5 minutes on a Consumption plan

Having a Consuption Plan for long-running (obviously more than 5 minutes) functions that only run once every few days (or even daily) is something that I think is crucial...

I imagine that the users that would benefit most from a Consumption Plan would be the ones with long-running tasks with less then frequent executions... This 5 minute limit ruins everything.

This idea is based on the following issue:
    https://github.com/Azure/Azure-Functions/issues/75

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Create new function by cloning/copying existing function

When creating a new function I'd like to start from an existing function I already created.

In my particular case I have a function where I've uploaded multiple additional files (python modules) and each function will need the same files, but today I have to re-upload them all.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Run my code on demand like AWS Lambda

I'd like Azure to run my C#/C++ code on demand like the AWS Lambda service. I want my code to begin executing within 200ms of being triggered (this is negotiable). I only want to be charged for the time that it is starting up, executing and shutting down. I don't want to be charged to keep a server running idle somewhere when there is no work to be done. I want the service to automatically scale so that more and more of my jobs can be run simultaneously as demand increases. I want to use this for compute-intensive media processing…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is how Azure Functions works, allowing for C# code and binaries to be run on demand.

There are a few things here which aren’t met yet, so I’d encourage you to break it out into more feedback items for Functions. Specifically, we don’t have high RAM, high CPU machines for you to run on. They are mostly smaller machines.

Completing this given base requirement is met.

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base