Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure Functions?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Better support for SharedAccessSignature for inputs and outputs

I have a Azure Function with an Azure Table as input, and I was trying to use a SharedAccessSignature in the connection string. I wanted to limit access to a specific table, and provide no access to other Azure storage services. However, when I try to run the function, there are errors saying that no Blob endpoint is configured, no Queue endpoint is configured, etc.

I would like to have a connection string with only TableEndpoint and a SharedAccessSignature, and support signatures that limit access to a specific table or even a specific subset of a table (partition key range).…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for hybrid connections to Consumption Plan

Can we add Hybrid Connections to functions running in Consumption Plans

I'm aware of the idea ...
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/14807298-should-support-hybrid-connections

But this is for App Service Plans, and only mentions Consumption Plan in the response.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable direct internal Function-to-Function calls

There is a need to call one Function from another Function without an Internet round-trip, and without dependencies on additional services. (To me, "no Internet round-trip" implies the same region, but if "anywhere within Azure" optimizations could be made without a direct http call to go elsewhere, that would also be ideal.)

Since the request linked below was closed as Completed even though the "resolution" refers to orchestration, a completely different concern, I'm opening this to re-request with the original intent.

Related: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/15622413-enable-calling-of-other-functions-via-internal-id

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for VB

Have existing Web Jobs in VB, some of which might be candidates for moving to Functions. Would be great to see full support for .Net languages in functions.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support for native Rust Azure Functions

As of February 2019, Azure Functions support native .NET, JavaScript and Python.

Could we please have native support to run Azure Functions written in Rust? To host Rust functions currently we have to pay for a Linux App Service plan and embed our functions within a Docker container. This is expensive just to run a few microservices written in Rust.

Peter Huene has an excellent project for anyone interest in writing Azure Functions in Rust....

https://github.com/peterhuene/azure-functions-rs

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Azure Function - Event Grid Output Binding

Presently there is only an Azure Service Bus output binding for Azure Functions, there is nothing to pass the output on to another Event Grid Endpoint.

This would be very useful.

Kind Regards

Paul

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Java support for Azure Functions on Gradle

I hope to be able to create with gradle.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Autocomplete and intellisense on a portal

Hi,
    it's cool that we have source code editor, but without Autocomplete and intellisense it's really hard write and debug code directly on a porta.
    Few years ago was project Monaco on a classic azure porta. could you reuse it add autocomplete somehow else?!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Functions Should support Custom Trigger events

Functions Should be able to support custom triggers
    In my case i need a trigger from azure redis which is not possible in functions now.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. consumption plan china

Currently Azure Function Apps cannot be hosted on a Consumption Plan if the target Cloud is China.

See: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/appserviceteam/2018/03/28/announcing-the-availability-of-azure-functions-in-national-clouds/

We would like to have the capability to use the Consumption Plan also on this Azure Region.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add support to Open Tracing/Zipkin

Opentracing (http://opentracing.io/) is a popular standard for tracing correlated requests across many different services communicating via RPC. It contains implementations on several different platforms and various tools (zipkin being one of the most popular ones). The standard can be easily extended over HTTP using dedicated headers from client/server side. It would be great if Azure functions would be able to provide more or less transparent support for it.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are currently working on supporting a suite of Azure based distributed tracing solutions. We have no current plans to support this tool, but would love to hear from the community, and are leaving this item open to collect feedback :)

Thanks!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

12. Excel support for calling Azure functions with parameters

being able to call an Azure function directly from a worksheet.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support for queue settings per function

As I was looking for a way to configure the visibility timeout for queue messages I found that the only configuration seemed to be at the host level. The problem is that my queues have different needs and one setting will not work optimally for all queues. I am looking for a way to configure each queue independently.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow moving from AppServicePlan to Consumption plan (in Azure portal)

It should be easy to move between hosting plans for Azure functions so we can change this based on the current needs. At the moment, I would like to move away from app service plan for a lot of functions (use consumption plan instead), but in the future, high continous demand might move some back to an app service plan. Changing between the to modes should be as easy as scaling out on an app service plan

I have read somewhere that there is a problem if a function was created as an app service plan because of missing storage.…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add "clientCertEnabled" support for local development of Azure Functions

If I set the following flag on my azure-published azure-function "clientCertEnabled": true, my sample code below is able to use/consume the client certificate I send.

I am unable to get local debugging to accept client-certificates.

This makes unit-testing my azure function very difficult.

using System;
    using System.Net;
    using System.Net.Http;
    using System.Threading.Tasks;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Extensions.Http;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Host;
    using System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;

namespace MyNamespace
    {
    public static class ClientCertificateTest
    {
    [FunctionName("ClientCertificateTestFunctionName")]
    public static async Task<HttpResponseMessage> Run([HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Function, "post", Route = null)]HttpRequestMessage req, TraceWriter log)
    {
    try
    {
    System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate2 cert = req.GetClientCertificate();

X509Certificate2 headerCert = null;
    System.Net.Http.Headers.HttpRequestHeaders headers = req.Headers;
    if…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. console.log works as well as context.log in node.js

In a function written in node.js, console.log should log to the error log/console just as context.log does.

It would allow using the same debug in code that is been run both in standalone node.js and in function node.js. It is painful to have to alter the calls when moving code between the environments.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add ability to register Service Bus plugins

Azure Service Bus .NET Standard client supports plugins registration for incoming and outgoing pipeline customizations. Already existing plugings are:
    - Message ID (to follow message ID conventions or for de-duplication)
    - Attachments (claim check)

Service Bus customers can implement and plug their own plugins to satisfy encryption requierments and other aspects internal to their business. By allowing plugins registration via trigger configuration API, the code normally distributed with the functions would be reduced to a package reference. This will allow Functions authors focus on the logic and not the miscelanious aspects.

GitHub issue: https://github.com/Azure/azure-functions-host/issues/2504

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Azure Services/PaaS or E2E-scaffolding for Facebook GraphQL/Relay

There is something beyond Azure App-Services and Functions; Facebook GraphQL as a service, end-to-end which should in clude a CQRS "back-end" (REDIS...) and API-Mgmt/Monitoring features. Here are some examples: https://www.graph.cool/features/ and https://scaphold.io/... but we leverage Azure, so we are currently developing with graphql in AppServices...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Support for blob trigger on entire storage account

Microsoft’s mobile services are designed to place blobs that are pushed in from mobile clients into many containers - a separate container for each entity that the files are associated with. Microsoft’s solution for sourcing events from blob operations is not compatible with this, as the existing blob trigger required you to know the name of the container at setup/binding time. It would be useful to have a blob trigger that can monitor an entire storage account.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Changing this and clarifying. You can do this today with the Event Grid trigger (e.g. create an event grid trigger and then add subscriptions for each container in a storage account – or many storage accounts – and point to same function). That’s the way that works today and is planned to be the solution for this short term. However leaving this open as I think it was more general to have the Blob and not the Event Grid trigger do this. Keep the votes coming and comment on if Event Grid may not be enough.

-
    Jeff

20. Process isolation within the same Function App

It would be beneficial to be able to run multiple functions from different Function App Projects in the same Azure Function App. Why? For simplicity purposes. It would be unmanageable to create so many Azure Functional Apps for each function when they don't really belong in the same project. Versioning of external references is one reason to have isolation.

Since you are already hosted in Azure App Service, you could leverage Virtual Directories as a mechanism for Isolation.

More details here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47705029/can-we-have-two-separate-bin-folders-within-a-single-function-app

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Feedback and Knowledge Base