Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add C++ support for Azure Functions

Allow C++ binaries to contains Azure Functions. It could be done by invoking the main in an executable, or a DLL with a specific export method with predefined signature.

C++ allows to control memory usage and allow users to be incredibly fast when used properly. In an environment where scaling is needed, squeezing a few seconds of CPU or lowering a few KB of RAM can translate to hundreds or thousands of dollars in savings.

If memory leaks are a concern, putting aside the fact that C# code can also leak, you could create fail safes for Azure Functions. A…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for Azure Alerts

Currently you can only configure Azure Alerts on the App Plan that is hosting your Azure Function. However, it would be great to do this on a Function level to detect failures and other metrics.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

update:

We have been working on this, and are a few months out from enabling it.

Alex
    Azure Functions team

Original Update

This is partially supported today. You can click through to the App Service Settings blade and click on the graph that shows up there.

This lets you set up basic alerts on failure rates/etc or GB-sec thorughput.

We’re adding Application Insights integration soon and that will provide even more options for setting up more granular alerts: github.com/Azure/azure-webjobs-sdk-script/i..

-Chris, Functions PM

3. Add Open Connection count to Function App

We are using a Function App for consuming events from an EventHub, to process each event we make 4-5 REST calls and we find that our S3 instances run out of outbound connections resulting in ETIMEDOUT errors. We opened a support case and we are troubleshooting. However to make it easier to debug and to allow us to put alerts in place it would be nice to have the number of open connections available through the Portal and be able to attach alerts..
    We tried to run netstat from Kudu but thisis not permitted (Access Denied)

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update: Still planned!
    -
    This is something that we have enabled internally, and are in the planning process of highlighting TCP connections for customers in the “Diagnose and Solve problems” tab. However, we do not have an ETA yet.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

4. Allow moving Function from Consumption to Service Plan

Currently if you deploy your function on a consumption plan there is no way to move it to an existing Service Plan like any other App Service.
    You would need to delete the existing one and redeploy it..

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Quick update here – with the announcement of the premium plan we do support moving from consumption to a premium plan. Today this may not work for all consumption apps in a region only because some consumption apps may exist in a “webspace” that doesn’t yet have premium turned on. That said we have CLI commands rolling out in the next few weeks to make this seamless.

Moving to app service plan is a bit trickier as the actual code often lives in a different place on an app service plan (app service local storage) than where consumption needs them (azure storage files) – so moving may not work and currently don’t have any immediate plans to do like “code migration” in addition to changing plans.

You can see a sample of moving plans between apps in this sample here as well: https://github.com/Azure-Samples/functions-csharp-premium-scaler

-
    Jeff

5. Support Service Bus trigger with use of SAS token

In our company we are using Service Bus with a framework that deals out the SAS tokens to queues. These tokens are living for few days only and concern hierarchical queues (eg. queue name could be productA/event-type-B/subtypeC) and only Listen policy.
    This would mean that listening on a different level then root level of namespace would be needed.
    Best if also the whole connection to SB described by this token would be separate object from the Function, so we could modify it (by altering with new SAS token/whole connection string) without modifying the Function code (as API Connections in Logic…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Azure Function - Event Grid Output Binding

Presently there is only an Azure Service Bus output binding for Azure Functions, there is nothing to pass the output on to another Event Grid Endpoint.

This would be very useful.

Kind Regards

Paul

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Don't 'hardcode' the storage account connection string for the storage account that backs azure functions

Currently each Function App has an application setting string "WEBSITE_CONTENTAZUREFILECONNECTIONSTRING"which is a fixed (=hardcoded) connection string. This breaks when performing key rotation on the connection string and is opaque to diagnose since that setting is automatically setup by the portal UI/wizard.

Can you instead just store the subscription ID and storage account name and then fetch the latest connection string for the storage account using the management API? This will make sure that the function app survives storage account key rotations

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add support for Open API (Swagger 3)

Azure Functions currently supports Open API (Swagger 2) (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/updates/announcing-azure-functions-open-api-swagger-support-preview/).

Now that Open API 3 has been released, it would be helpful if the latest standard could also be supported

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Folders for organizing Functions and a TreeView Function List in the Portal

Already I have a Functions App that is growing larger than works well in the existing Portal interface.

I would like to suggest adding support for folders (similar to solution folders in Visual Studio) that allow one to organize functions. And then a TreeView for the Function list in the Portal.

For example I have several processed in my Function App. Each process may have one or more steps that are usually individual Functions. It would be great to put all the related Functions together in a folder.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Auth0 to list of identity providers and allow custom URL in 'URL Authorization Rules

[This is more an AppService issue but there's not forum for that.]

It's important to me to have the ability to use a custom authentication UI and Auth0 provide this and their own database for user storage. Otherwise I have to roll my own. My users do not have any existing accounts (including email) and so need a simple username / password experience (as horrible this might be for most of us)

A reasonable list of providers is available but adding Auth0 will open the possibilities up. Auth0 is not only excellent but acts as a proxy to a very…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add support for hybrid connections to Consumption Plan

Can we add Hybrid Connections to functions running in Consumption Plans

I'm aware of the idea ...
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/14807298-should-support-hybrid-connections

But this is for App Service Plans, and only mentions Consumption Plan in the response.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Proxies should support backend.request.body expressions in requestOverrides

Would be great to be able to create or change the request BODY dutring request overrides processing like it is possible for headers and the method already. Expressions could override parts of the body, create a body when e.g. overriding a GET to a POST or update body parts / subparts. Even deletion of body or body parts would be usable...

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Proxies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow moving from AppServicePlan to Consumption plan (in Azure portal)

It should be easy to move between hosting plans for Azure functions so we can change this based on the current needs. At the moment, I would like to move away from app service plan for a lot of functions (use consumption plan instead), but in the future, high continous demand might move some back to an app service plan. Changing between the to modes should be as easy as scaling out on an app service plan

I have read somewhere that there is a problem if a function was created as an app service plan because of missing storage.…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support authentication for Azure Function Core Tools

Azure Functions has been great, especially the ability to run the Core Tools locally. However, there are often scenarios where you return data depending on the currently authenticated user. This appears to be supported in Azure Functions in Azure now but there are no options within the Core Tools. This would be hugely useful for local development.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Better support for SharedAccessSignature for inputs and outputs

I have a Azure Function with an Azure Table as input, and I was trying to use a SharedAccessSignature in the connection string. I wanted to limit access to a specific table, and provide no access to other Azure storage services. However, when I try to run the function, there are errors saying that no Blob endpoint is configured, no Queue endpoint is configured, etc.

I would like to have a connection string with only TableEndpoint and a SharedAccessSignature, and support signatures that limit access to a specific table or even a specific subset of a table (partition key range).…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support for Azure Managed Service Identities in EventHub (and other) triggers

In Event Hub, I can add my Function App's MSI as a data reader, but in the function I cannot use trigger bindings to read from the queue without using a SecureAccess Key. We are trying to go password free wherever possible, and Azure has been promoting this course of action, so why do we need secret keys for reading from the queue? It then forces us to create and share a secret key for partner teams to read from our queue, rather than just permissioning them in Event Hub.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enable direct internal Function-to-Function calls

There is a need to call one Function from another Function without an Internet round-trip, and without dependencies on additional services. (To me, "no Internet round-trip" implies the same region, but if "anywhere within Azure" optimizations could be made without a direct http call to go elsewhere, that would also be ideal.)

Since the request linked below was closed as Completed even though the "resolution" refers to orchestration, a completely different concern, I'm opening this to re-request with the original intent.

Related: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/15622413-enable-calling-of-other-functions-via-internal-id

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Functions Should support Custom Trigger events

Functions Should be able to support custom triggers
    In my case i need a trigger from azure redis which is not possible in functions now.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base