Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure Function - Event Grid Output Binding

Presently there is only an Azure Service Bus output binding for Azure Functions, there is nothing to pass the output on to another Event Grid Endpoint.

This would be very useful.

Kind Regards

Paul

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for Azure Managed Service Identities in EventHub (and other) triggers

In Event Hub, I can add my Function App's MSI as a data reader, but in the function I cannot use trigger bindings to read from the queue without using a SecureAccess Key. We are trying to go password free wherever possible, and Azure has been promoting this course of action, so why do we need secret keys for reading from the queue? It then forces us to create and share a secret key for partner teams to read from our queue, rather than just permissioning them in Event Hub.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add ability to register Service Bus plugins

Azure Service Bus .NET Standard client supports plugins registration for incoming and outgoing pipeline customizations. Already existing plugings are:
    - Message ID (to follow message ID conventions or for de-duplication)
    - Attachments (claim check)

Service Bus customers can implement and plug their own plugins to satisfy encryption requierments and other aspects internal to their business. By allowing plugins registration via trigger configuration API, the code normally distributed with the functions would be reduced to a package reference. This will allow Functions authors focus on the logic and not the miscelanious aspects.

GitHub issue: https://github.com/Azure/azure-functions-host/issues/2504

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Azure Services/PaaS or E2E-scaffolding for Facebook GraphQL/Relay

There is something beyond Azure App-Services and Functions; Facebook GraphQL as a service, end-to-end which should in clude a CQRS "back-end" (REDIS...) and API-Mgmt/Monitoring features. Here are some examples: https://www.graph.cool/features/ and https://scaphold.io/... but we leverage Azure, so we are currently developing with graphql in AppServices...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Azure B2C Trigger

It would be really helpful to be able to have triggers on Azure B2C, for example on new user added take some action etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add binding attribute to control function scaling

We use azure functions extensively. One of the issues we have is not being able to control individual functions scaling. I am not talking bout the function app here, but the functions themselves.

Using the new attribute binding system could be a very nice way to set the max number of instances a function can spawn.
    [MaxParallelExecution(5)] or something like that.

this would make it so that particular function does not scale over 5 instances.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Wildcard within path of blob input bindings

I wish we could specify blob storage input bindings path that included wildcard.

--- function.json
    {
    "type": "blob",
    "name": "faces",
    "path": "face/profile-{date}-*.png",
    "connection": "AzureWebJobsDashboard",
    "direction": "in"
    }

Then, I hope to process these as array of Blob objects.

---index.js

module.exports = function (context, myQueueItem) {
    const fileSizeList = context.bindings.faces.map(face => face.size);
    context.log(fileSizeList);
    context.done();
    };

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SMTP Triggers

Functions are great for building HTTP-based Apis. Our SMS-api supports both HTTP(S) and SMTP(Mail 2 SMS).

In order to use Functions, we would need to be able to bind one or more email domains to it and use email as triggers

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Function inputs with query or path support should be able to make use of query/body parameters

The documentation for SqlQuery inputs mentions that this capability is not *yet* supported, and points to a GH comment, but I saw no actual feature request so here it is.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-cosmosdb-v2#http-trigger-look-up-id-from-route-data-using-sqlquery-c

"You can pass route data to the SqlQuery parameter as shown, but currently you can't pass query string values." (link to comment https://github.com/Azure/azure-functions-host/issues/2554#issuecomment-392084583)

Is there any sort of timeline that users can expect this?

Also, I think the documentation could be improved to explain that the Route Templates are based on ASP.NET routing, which is where the limitation stems from (because route templates in ASP.NET do not encompass…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. MQTT Subscriber trigger support as a first class trigger

Please add support for listening to MQTT 3.0 and 3.1 servers as a subscriber for a trigger. This would be immensely useful in IoT scenarios.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Support international SMTPUTF8 email addresses in Sendgrid output

It seems like international characters in email addresses are not supported.

I think SendGrid supports SMTPUTF8, as indicated here: https://sendgrid.com/blog/episode-2-of-the-grid-podcast

It would be nice if Azure Functions could successfully implement support for this as well.

When I send email to an address containing 'ø', the SendGrid portal displays the address as containing 'ø' in place of the 'ø', which is a typical ASCII/UTF-8 encoding mismatch. And the message is dropped with Reason 'Invalid'.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base