Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure Functions?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Global exception handler

Make it possible to have a global exception handler in C# Azure Functions App project - to be able to handle exceptions in one central location.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Scale # of servers in consumption plan based on Service Bus Queue Size

My service bus will spike at the top of each hour with up to 1000+ messages to get processed immediately. It would be nice for the consumption plan to allow us to scale the # of servers to come online to be based on that queue size. Example: for 1000 messages, I would like 10 servers to come online (1 server per 100 in the queue).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support for blob trigger on entire storage account

Microsoft’s mobile services are designed to place blobs that are pushed in from mobile clients into many containers - a separate container for each entity that the files are associated with. Microsoft’s solution for sourcing events from blob operations is not compatible with this, as the existing blob trigger required you to know the name of the container at setup/binding time. It would be useful to have a blob trigger that can monitor an entire storage account.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Changing this and clarifying. You can do this today with the Event Grid trigger (e.g. create an event grid trigger and then add subscriptions for each container in a storage account – or many storage accounts – and point to same function). That’s the way that works today and is planned to be the solution for this short term. However leaving this open as I think it was more general to have the Blob and not the Event Grid trigger do this. Keep the votes coming and comment on if Event Grid may not be enough.

-
    Jeff

4. search and replace in proxy response body.

Provide a way to replace all occurences of a string within the response body received from the backend with another.

Would be used to any embedded URLs refering to the backend with ones referring to the proxy

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Proxies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. console.log works as well as context.log in node.js

In a function written in node.js, console.log should log to the error log/console just as context.log does.

It would allow using the same debug in code that is been run both in standalone node.js and in function node.js. It is painful to have to alter the calls when moving code between the environments.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Code folding

Ability to fold code sections in the portal while in editor mode would be very useful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Quartz Timer Feature

Please enhance Azure Functions or Azure in general that exposes an API against which we can post quartz like timer jobs.

Would be great to set a timer in Azure that can eventually trigger an Azure Function when executing.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support for queue settings per function

As I was looking for a way to configure the visibility timeout for queue messages I found that the only configuration seemed to be at the host level. The problem is that my queues have different needs and one setting will not work optimally for all queues. I am looking for a way to configure each queue independently.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Folders for organizing Functions and a TreeView Function List in the Portal

Already I have a Functions App that is growing larger than works well in the existing Portal interface.

I would like to suggest adding support for folders (similar to solution folders in Visual Studio) that allow one to organize functions. And then a TreeView for the Function list in the Portal.

For example I have several processed in my Function App. Each process may have one or more steps that are usually individual Functions. It would be great to put all the related Functions together in a folder.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Search input/output bindings

Want to treat documents of the Azure Search as JSON from the Function Apps.

First about input bindings. See following pseudo function.json.

{
    "bindings": [
    {
    "name": "req",
    "type": "httpTrigger",
    "direction": "in"
    },
    {
    "name": "search_result",
    "type": "search",
    "direction": "in",
    "serviceName": "mybookshelf",
    "indexName": "book",
    "apiKey": "envname-SEARCH_ADMIN_KEY",
    "queryType": "full",
    "searchMode": "all",
    "searchFields": ["id", "title", "author"],
    "search": "title:{title} AND genre:{genre}"
    },
    {
    "name": "res",
    "type": "http",
    "direction": "out"
    }
    ]
    }

When an http request is arrived, contents of $search_result likes as followings.

[
    {
    "id": "e583e025-01f4-4288-8dec-be6723afe607",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.1",
    "author": "Akira TORIYAMA"
    },
    {
    "id": "bb0086f9-e924-450c-b615-f51fb730e339",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.2", …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. The dynamic tier should never run out of sockets

If you have too many connections, you can get SocketExceptions. The dynamic tier was meant to stop us from having to think about server instances, but with a connection limit, the dynamic tier is useless and we are back to the standard service plans.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an awesome idea, and we’re exploring a few options to make it a reality.
    However, the 600 connection limit per instance should be enough for most applications if you’re reusing or closing connections. If you truly need 600 open connections you are likely to run into the 10 minute timeout per execution.
    Even after we add this you will still need to be mindful of your connection management.

Keep the votes coming!
    —Alex

12. Support etags for Azure Table Storage read/write operations

I use python functions to read/write into Azure tables, unfortunately the etags are hidden. It would be quite useful to be able to access the eTags to ensure consistency of writes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Better support for SharedAccessSignature for inputs and outputs

I have a Azure Function with an Azure Table as input, and I was trying to use a SharedAccessSignature in the connection string. I wanted to limit access to a specific table, and provide no access to other Azure storage services. However, when I try to run the function, there are errors saying that no Blob endpoint is configured, no Queue endpoint is configured, etc.

I would like to have a connection string with only TableEndpoint and a SharedAccessSignature, and support signatures that limit access to a specific table or even a specific subset of a table (partition key range).…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Should support trigger for Azure Files

This would make hybrid integration scenarios for customers with no IT trivial, anybody can drop a file in a share.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Support for R

Are there any plans to support R scripts in the future?

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add support for Kafka Streams from HD Insight

Azure Functions should be able to be triggered from Apache Kafka. The triggered function should be able to be configured for a specific consumer group, with options to explicitly commit the consumer's offset.

Ideally Kafka Streams could be supported, with special support for local storage of KTables.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Sync code from blob storage

I find the current deployment model way too difficult to work with. Please consider supporting auto-sync from blob storage, similar to what aws lambda offers.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add max calls/per day|hour|minute configuration for throttling

Now- any light ddos attack that Azure will not recognize- will affect me and my account. If I know that my service shouldn't receive more than 10000 calls per day, but I can't setup limits on incoming requests.

"Daily Usage Quota (GB-Sec)"- not bad idea, but it's something internal and synthetic for me. Call/per day- is much more native metrics for users.

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Moving this work item to unplanned, as it is clear that this request is no for a global throughput limit.

We do now offer the ability to limit your maximum instances in the Premium plan, which will allow you to avoid swamping downstream resources. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-premium-plan#plan-and-sku-settings

We prioritized that above a max call per X limit, because our only control to limit throughput is to outright deny some number of requests above a threshold.

Keep the feedback coming!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

19. Autocomplete and intellisense on a portal

Hi,
    it's cool that we have source code editor, but without Autocomplete and intellisense it's really hard write and debug code directly on a porta.
    Few years ago was project Monaco on a classic azure porta. could you reuse it add autocomplete somehow else?!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add Auth0 to list of identity providers and allow custom URL in 'URL Authorization Rules

[This is more an AppService issue but there's not forum for that.]

It's important to me to have the ability to use a custom authentication UI and Auth0 provide this and their own database for user storage. Otherwise I have to roll my own. My users do not have any existing accounts (including email) and so need a simple username / password experience (as horrible this might be for most of us)

A reasonable list of providers is available but adding Auth0 will open the possibilities up. Auth0 is not only excellent but acts as a proxy to a very…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Feedback and Knowledge Base