Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. What is the timeline for supporting the new Azure SDKs?

I really want to get rid of the connection strings in my functions and I want to be able to switch to the Azure.Identity SDK for auth. I understand that this will be a breaking change, however some communication about the plan would be nice.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. managed mysql connection pooling proxy for azure function

In short: AWS RDS Proxy equivalent solution for Azure.

Using managed RDBMS like mySQL from FaaS is often said to be a bad practice because of difficulties of handling connection; FaaS might finish before closing its connection, might consumes too much connections when requests burst.

Instead, using connectionless database is encouraged, but in many usecases, RDB's functionality is still preferred over connectionless DB(such as CosmosDB), because of its flexibility of queries and transaction.

AWS resolves this dilemma by providing a managed connection pooling point called RDS Proxy.

https://aws.amazon.com/rds/proxy/?nc1=h_ls

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Proxies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support visibilityTimeout of Queue Trigger to be maintained after restarting Functions host.

The automatic retry with visibilityTimeout of Queue Trigger happens when the function host is up and running.

But after restarting Functions host, sometimes retry interval does not refer to visibilityTimeout.

Could you please support visibilityTimeout to be maintained after restarting Functions host?
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-error-pages#retry-support

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for private end point enabled sql seever.

It looks like the premium plan also don't support private end point enabled SQL server with Azure function. It should be enabled to use any PaaS resource under firewall and private enabled endpoint

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support user assigned managed identities in keyvault references

Keyvault references support system assigned managed identities. However in a lot of applications you might need to create your own managed identity since the system assigned ones get destroyed when the resource is deleted (upgrading to a new plan would be an example of when an azure function needs to be destroyed and recreated).

Every time this happens you need to re-assign permissions, then wait for replication which takes time. Please consider supporting user assigned managed identities in keyvault references.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Templates for dps and iot hub device management using service principal based rest or sdk will speed up iot development and azure adoption

Templates for DPS and IoT hub device management using service principal based rest or SDK will speed up IoT development and azure adoption for customers who would like to go for custom development with a cheaper cost.

In the long run, customers will use more services as part of their architecture where azure get benefited
    Customers get benefited with cheaper running and development cost

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. ฉันอยากทราบรายละเอียด

ฉันอยากทราบรายละเอียดว่าข้อมูลฉันเป็นส่วนตัวไหม

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Proxies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support gRPC in azure function as trigger

gRPC is a standard for microservices and cloud-native solutions nowadays. It should be supported by azure functions, durable functions and API Management.

60 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Create Functions Dynamically

Hi,

I find myself in a situation where I create a lot of functions that look like

public class GetTenants

{
    readonly TenantHandler _handler;

public GetTenants(TenantHandler handler) => _handler = handler;

[FunctionName(nameof(GetTenants))]
    public Task<IActionResult> RunAsync(
    [HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Function, "get", Route = "tenants")]
    HttpRequest request) =>
    _handler.GetAsync(request);
    }

or

public class OnQueueMessage : AnOnQueueMessageFunction

{
    public OnQueueMessage(IMessageReceiver receiver) : base(receiver, MetaDataConstants.QueueName) {}

[FunctionName(nameof(OnQueueMessage))]
    public Task RunAsync([ServiceBusTrigger(MetaDataConstants.QueueName)]
    Message message,
    CancellationToken cancellationToken) =>
    HandleAsync(message, cancellationToken);
    }

As you can see I have already eliminated boilerplate as much as possible. However, because of the need to use attributes to register and bind the functions, I can…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. More Python examples

Still not clear on how to use some of the methods. Could we have more examples or scenarios?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Corelating logs between Azure functions activity and ADF

How can i co-relate my ADF activity runs and Azure function activity.
    I've some custom logs in Azure functions and i would like to corelate this with ADF run logs

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Processing Python Dataframes - how to write out to Blob Storage?

I am trying to build a file processing function - ingests excel files, performs some column transformations using python data frames. subsequently I want to write the file to a Storage Container. So far I haven't been able to read from the docs on how to convert the python DataFrame into a Stream that is writable? How can we achieve that?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Forwarding the client certificates in Azure Functions Proxies.

Our customer would like to have the features for forwarding the client certificates in Functions Proxies.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow to set message property such as sessionId to Service Bus output bindings for node.js

There is no option to set the sessionId in Service Bus output bindings for node.js environment.
    I suggest to add that

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add a "Run" button to the portal

There are 2 documented ways to "manually" run a funciton.

HTTP triggered: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-create-first-azure-function#test-the-function

Non-HTTP triggered: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-manually-run-non-http

Both approaches are quite clunky. Since running a function manually is obviously possible and documented, it seem like a glaring omission that a simple "Run" button isn't provided in the portal.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Azure Function functionTimeout needs to be configurable per-environment via app settings, not only through host.json

I need to configure my functionTimeout on an Azure Function per-environment. I have dev deployments that should just use a default timeout, and production deployments that can handle a long timeout (dedicated app service).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Project Version Display in Portal

It would be helpful if the Portal displayed the currently deployed function DLL version for easy IT reference. We deploy our Functions through our IT team via the Zip Deploy process in all UAT and Production environments and it would be great if they could easily confirm that the currently deployed/running version.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t have plans to enable this. You can however open up the console in the portal from the left hand pane and then run the following to get the version.

PowerShell (Get-Command d:\paht\myfile.dll).FileVersionInfo.FileVersion

replacing the path with the dll you want to review.

18. Do not execute Timer Trigger in Azure Functions Deployment Slots (other than production)

Currently Timer Trigger still execute in Deployment Slots, which renders them useless for any Functions containing Timer Triggers, because you will then have two running instances.

As I understood the slots, their intention is to make the deployment as seemless as possible. So if I have to stop the slot auto-manually (CI/CD) after the swap, I might stop a running function in the middle of something. If I dont, I will have effectively two running instances of the same Azure Functions, doing everything twice.

So could it be possible to have Timer Triggers not be exectuted when the Function runs…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Java 11

Right now the Java Function App in both version ~2 and ~3 is limited to JDK 8. It would be great to have support for JDK 11.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow regex or port ranges in CORS rules

Not sure if this is Azure Functions specific, but it would be great to be able to specify a regex statement or a range of ports for a CORS rule for my function app.

My specific use case is I am working on a Twitch.tv extension, and the "developer rig" they provide for hosting the frontend files when developing locally uses a new random port number every time the files are reloaded, and I can't change that behavior. I would love to be able to specify a CORS rule like " http://localhost:[50000-60000] " but it seems this isn't allowed. I…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base