Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ruby functions

Be able to write Azure functions in Ruby

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow moving from AppServicePlan to Consumption plan (in Azure portal)

It should be easy to move between hosting plans for Azure functions so we can change this based on the current needs. At the moment, I would like to move away from app service plan for a lot of functions (use consumption plan instead), but in the future, high continous demand might move some back to an app service plan. Changing between the to modes should be as easy as scaling out on an app service plan

I have read somewhere that there is a problem if a function was created as an app service plan because of missing storage.…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Function inputs with query or path support should be able to make use of query/body parameters

The documentation for SqlQuery inputs mentions that this capability is not *yet* supported, and points to a GH comment, but I saw no actual feature request so here it is.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-cosmosdb-v2#http-trigger-look-up-id-from-route-data-using-sqlquery-c

"You can pass route data to the SqlQuery parameter as shown, but currently you can't pass query string values." (link to comment https://github.com/Azure/azure-functions-host/issues/2554#issuecomment-392084583)

Is there any sort of timeline that users can expect this?

Also, I think the documentation could be improved to explain that the Route Templates are based on ASP.NET routing, which is where the limitation stems from (because route templates in ASP.NET do not encompass…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add C++ support for Azure Functions

Allow C++ binaries to contains Azure Functions. It could be done by invoking the main in an executable, or a DLL with a specific export method with predefined signature.

C++ allows to control memory usage and allow users to be incredibly fast when used properly. In an environment where scaling is needed, squeezing a few seconds of CPU or lowering a few KB of RAM can translate to hundreds or thousands of dollars in savings.

If memory leaks are a concern, putting aside the fact that C# code can also leak, you could create fail safes for Azure Functions. A…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Scala support for Azure Functions

The Java worker for Functions allows Scala to be exectured in Functions relatively easily. It would be great to see Microsoft support Scala as they do Java with MSFT endorced build and deploy practices.

See post here seeing how easy it is to deploy manually https://monteledwards.com/2018/10/07/deploying-scala-code-on-azure-functions/

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Azure Function C# template to use nameof() and appropriate function name

How about change C# template like below form?

[FunctionName(nameof(HttpTriggerCSharp))
    public static ...HttpTriggerCSharp(...)
    {
    }

I think all of functions name has Run() might not reasonable. and utilize nameof() could be very helpful to change function name and readibility

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Set environment variable override for AuthorizationLevel.Function key

When running within the Azure Functions Runtime inside of a Docker container, we can't use AuthorizationLevel.Function as there is no way to retrieve the key from the runtime. It'd be great if we could directly set a function key in our compose.yml as an environment variable. For deployment, we just leave the environment variable blank and the App Service can set the keys.

Related SO question:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52174892/how-to-set-authorzationlevel-per-an-environment-condition-when-running-csproj-fu

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. When the major upgrade to .NET Framework in the future, We want to do integration tests on Function App.

When the major upgrade to .NET Framework in the future, We want to do integration tests on Function App. It means that We would like to not only Local tests but also integration tests.
    (ex. executing function app from logic app)
    Also, We would like to have an option to upgrade as and when required.

[background]
    Currently, we can only local test for upcoming upgrade to .NET Framework 4.7.2
    https://github.com/Azure/app-service-announcements/issues/89

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable Reader Access to view Azure Functions Monitor area so that they can view the running state of that Azure Function.

Enable Reader Access to view Azure Functions Monitor area so that they can view the running state of that Azure Function. This is important for Prod environments where most users only have only Reader access.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is currently unsupported, along with a large set of features that do not work in the portal with only reader view.
    There is work underway to remove this requirement, and allow us to enable UI for reader access.
    I will update this issue once we have planned that work.

In the meantime, you can still view your logging information directly in the Application Insights instance for your Function App as a reader.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

10. EventHub Trigger filtering based on properties

It would be great to be able to provide a filtering expression in the binding of an eventHubTrigger. Using this I could configure my function to only be invoked for certain events that match the filter. For example, I store a property called "eventType" in the application properties of each event. My function is potentially only interested in events of one or more specific types. Currently I code this logic into the function, which works fine. However, it counts as an unnecessary invocation and increases the cost. Ideally the filtering would take place in the host and not incur a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unsure on this one but marking as unplanned. The filtering would also have to happen at the client to preserve ordering. However even if we did the filtering before the execution it’s still consuming compute so I don’t think it makes sense for it to be “free.” Just because the trigger is doing filtering before execution wouldn’t necessarily negate the price aspect. And since filtering often has some custom parsing / decoding / conditions it’s almost better to do it in code.

-
    Jeff

11. Wildcard within path of blob input bindings

I wish we could specify blob storage input bindings path that included wildcard.

--- function.json
    {
    "type": "blob",
    "name": "faces",
    "path": "face/profile-{date}-*.png",
    "connection": "AzureWebJobsDashboard",
    "direction": "in"
    }

Then, I hope to process these as array of Blob objects.

---index.js

module.exports = function (context, myQueueItem) {
    const fileSizeList = context.bindings.faces.map(face => face.size);
    context.log(fileSizeList);
    context.done();
    };

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. MQTT Subscriber trigger support as a first class trigger

Please add support for listening to MQTT 3.0 and 3.1 servers as a subscriber for a trigger. This would be immensely useful in IoT scenarios.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Azure B2C Trigger

It would be really helpful to be able to have triggers on Azure B2C, for example on new user added take some action etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Azure Function - Event Grid Output Binding

Presently there is only an Azure Service Bus output binding for Azure Functions, there is nothing to pass the output on to another Event Grid Endpoint.

This would be very useful.

Kind Regards

Paul

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add "Deny" option when Request is not Authenticated

I have a function app set up as a private API that requires users to authenticate via Azure AD B2C to be able to make calls. My mobile app does the auth and then provides the Bearer token in the service calls.
    This all works but if someone happens to browse an endpoint in a browser I don't want them to be redirected to the login page as the API is only meant to be requested from within the mobile app.
    I would like an option to just deny access to the API when a request is not authorised.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support international SMTPUTF8 email addresses in Sendgrid output

It seems like international characters in email addresses are not supported.

I think SendGrid supports SMTPUTF8, as indicated here: https://sendgrid.com/blog/episode-2-of-the-grid-podcast

It would be nice if Azure Functions could successfully implement support for this as well.

When I send email to an address containing 'ø', the SendGrid portal displays the address as containing 'ø' in place of the 'ø', which is a typical ASCII/UTF-8 encoding mismatch. And the message is dropped with Reason 'Invalid'.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add support to Open Tracing/Zipkin

Opentracing (http://opentracing.io/) is a popular standard for tracing correlated requests across many different services communicating via RPC. It contains implementations on several different platforms and various tools (zipkin being one of the most popular ones). The standard can be easily extended over HTTP using dedicated headers from client/server side. It would be great if Azure functions would be able to provide more or less transparent support for it.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are currently working on supporting a suite of Azure based distributed tracing solutions. We have no current plans to support this tool, but would love to hear from the community, and are leaving this item open to collect feedback :)

Thanks!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

18. Zip deploy Functions with app level credentials instead of user credentials

Right now you if you want to use zip deploy you need to use user credentials, those can be used to deploy any function anywhere in your tenant. Not really the best way to handle DTAP. Would be nice if you could also the app level credentials which do work for the other deployment options.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add ability to register Service Bus plugins

Azure Service Bus .NET Standard client supports plugins registration for incoming and outgoing pipeline customizations. Already existing plugings are:
    - Message ID (to follow message ID conventions or for de-duplication)
    - Attachments (claim check)

Service Bus customers can implement and plug their own plugins to satisfy encryption requierments and other aspects internal to their business. By allowing plugins registration via trigger configuration API, the code normally distributed with the functions would be reduced to a package reference. This will allow Functions authors focus on the logic and not the miscelanious aspects.

GitHub issue: https://github.com/Azure/azure-functions-host/issues/2504

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Trigger Azure Function From Table Storage

Allow create, update and delete on a table storage row to trigger an Azure Function.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base