Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support Service Bus trigger with use of SAS token

In our company we are using Service Bus with a framework that deals out the SAS tokens to queues. These tokens are living for few days only and concern hierarchical queues (eg. queue name could be productA/event-type-B/subtypeC) and only Listen policy.
    This would mean that listening on a different level then root level of namespace would be needed.
    Best if also the whole connection to SB described by this token would be separate object from the Function, so we could modify it (by altering with new SAS token/whole connection string) without modifying the Function code (as API Connections in Logic…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I believe in our latest SDK versions you should be able to use connection strings specific to a single queue / listen-only. These connection strings are stored in app settings and can be updated / rolled without having to modify or redeploy the code. Believe this would be sufficient today? Not sure if anything blocking anymore

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-service-bus-trigger?tabs=csharp#configuration

2. Visual Studio Tooling - Javascript Project Template

C# Project Template was recently added for Visual Studio Tooling https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/13301214-visual-studios-tooling-with-local-execution-debug , however this doesn't handle all languages - F#, Javascript/Typescript, etc.

Hoping we can get support added for better deployment capabilities with other languages as well as source code management. Great to see the Azure Function tooling finally make it to RTM for C#!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add support for Open API (Swagger 3)

Azure Functions currently supports Open API (Swagger 2) (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/updates/announcing-azure-functions-open-api-swagger-support-preview/).

Now that Open API 3 has been released, it would be helpful if the latest standard could also be supported

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add "clientCertEnabled" support for local development of Azure Functions

If I set the following flag on my azure-published azure-function "clientCertEnabled": true, my sample code below is able to use/consume the client certificate I send.

I am unable to get local debugging to accept client-certificates.

This makes unit-testing my azure function very difficult.

using System;
    using System.Net;
    using System.Net.Http;
    using System.Threading.Tasks;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Extensions.Http;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Host;
    using System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;

namespace MyNamespace
    {

public static class ClientCertificateTest

{
    [FunctionName("ClientCertificateTestFunctionName")]
    public static async Task<HttpResponseMessage> Run([HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Function, "post", Route = null)]HttpRequestMessage req, TraceWriter log)
    {
    try
    {
    System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate2 cert = req.GetClientCertificate();

X509Certificate2 headerCert = null;
    System.Net.Http.Headers.HttpRequestHeaders headers = req.Headers;
    if…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Device Twin Trigger from IoT Hub

Add a trigger when a chance occurs in the IoT Hub device twin

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Excel support for calling Azure functions with parameters

being able to call an Azure function directly from a worksheet.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Expose StorageClientFactory or QueueProcessorFactory to enable triggering on client-side-encrypted queues

With WebJobs, a custom StorageClientFactory can set an EncryptionPolicy in the DefaultRequestOptions such that encrypted queue messages are transparently decrypted when triggering a WebJob.

Alternatively, the EncryptionPolicy can be set on a queue by queue basis using a custom QueueProcessorFactory.

If these, or a more general way to modify the JobHostConfiguration were provided, then we would be able to store the storage connection string in Azure KeyVault and use client side encryption with Azure Functions apps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Marking to needs feedback per below:
    Nothing planned but still curious on this one. I think the ask is that you could decrypt on trigger. I expect trigger would work today but you’d have to have decrypt in code per execution. Is hope to decrypt before execution? – Jeff

8. Azure Services/PaaS or E2E-scaffolding for Facebook GraphQL/Relay

There is something beyond Azure App-Services and Functions; Facebook GraphQL as a service, end-to-end which should in clude a CQRS "back-end" (REDIS...) and API-Mgmt/Monitoring features. Here are some examples: https://www.graph.cool/features/ and https://scaphold.io/... but we leverage Azure, so we are currently developing with graphql in AppServices...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Global exception handler

Make it possible to have a global exception handler in C# Azure Functions App project - to be able to handle exceptions in one central location.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Retrieve function app keys from ARM template

Make it possible to set/retrieve function app keys via ARM templates.
    This will make it easier to store it in the settings of an other service while rolling out an environment.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Support for blob trigger on entire storage account

Microsoft’s mobile services are designed to place blobs that are pushed in from mobile clients into many containers - a separate container for each entity that the files are associated with. Microsoft’s solution for sourcing events from blob operations is not compatible with this, as the existing blob trigger required you to know the name of the container at setup/binding time. It would be useful to have a blob trigger that can monitor an entire storage account.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Changing this and clarifying. You can do this today with the Event Grid trigger (e.g. create an event grid trigger and then add subscriptions for each container in a storage account – or many storage accounts – and point to same function). That’s the way that works today and is planned to be the solution for this short term. However leaving this open as I think it was more general to have the Blob and not the Event Grid trigger do this. Keep the votes coming and comment on if Event Grid may not be enough.

-
    Jeff

12. console.log works as well as context.log in node.js

In a function written in node.js, console.log should log to the error log/console just as context.log does.

It would allow using the same debug in code that is been run both in standalone node.js and in function node.js. It is painful to have to alter the calls when moving code between the environments.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Quartz Timer Feature

Please enhance Azure Functions or Azure in general that exposes an API against which we can post quartz like timer jobs.

Would be great to set a timer in Azure that can eventually trigger an Azure Function when executing.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support for queue settings per function

As I was looking for a way to configure the visibility timeout for queue messages I found that the only configuration seemed to be at the host level. The problem is that my queues have different needs and one setting will not work optimally for all queues. I am looking for a way to configure each queue independently.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Folders for organizing Functions and a TreeView Function List in the Portal

Already I have a Functions App that is growing larger than works well in the existing Portal interface.

I would like to suggest adding support for folders (similar to solution folders in Visual Studio) that allow one to organize functions. And then a TreeView for the Function list in the Portal.

For example I have several processed in my Function App. Each process may have one or more steps that are usually individual Functions. It would be great to put all the related Functions together in a folder.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Search input/output bindings

Want to treat documents of the Azure Search as JSON from the Function Apps.

First about input bindings. See following pseudo function.json.

{

"bindings": [

{
    "name": "req",
    "type": "httpTrigger",
    "direction": "in"
    },
    {
    "name": "search_result",
    "type": "search",
    "direction": "in",
    "serviceName": "mybookshelf",
    "indexName": "book",
    "apiKey": "envname-SEARCH_ADMIN_KEY",
    "queryType": "full",
    "searchMode": "all",
    "searchFields": ["id", "title", "author"],
    "search": "title:{title} AND genre:{genre}"
    },
    {
    "name": "res",
    "type": "http",
    "direction": "out"
    }
    ]

}

When an http request is arrived, contents of $search_result likes as followings.

[

{

"id": "e583e025-01f4-4288-8dec-be6723afe607",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.1",
    "author": "Akira TORIYAMA"
    },
    {
    "id": "bb0086f9-e924-450c-b615-f51fb730e339",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.2",
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. The dynamic tier should never run out of sockets

If you have too many connections, you can get SocketExceptions. The dynamic tier was meant to stop us from having to think about server instances, but with a connection limit, the dynamic tier is useless and we are back to the standard service plans.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an awesome idea, and we’re exploring a few options to make it a reality.
    However, the 600 connection limit per instance should be enough for most applications if you’re reusing or closing connections. If you truly need 600 open connections you are likely to run into the 10 minute timeout per execution.
    Even after we add this you will still need to be mindful of your connection management.

Keep the votes coming!
    —Alex

19. Support etags for Azure Table Storage read/write operations

I use python functions to read/write into Azure tables, unfortunately the etags are hidden. It would be quite useful to be able to access the eTags to ensure consistency of writes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Function App Service support for Azure B2C

If I build a web app using Azure B2C for authentication, I'd like to use it as the authentication provider for Azure Functions too. Although I can set up the same providers, using B2C would be cleaner and enable me to support users with local logins (traditional username and password) too.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base