Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Notifications for Azure Functions (esp. Queue triggers)

While it's excellent that Azure Functions integrate with Application Insights, there is still a need for a SIMPLE/STRAIGHTFORWARD, straightforward way to configure notifications when the function fails. (suggestion below)

It is important to understand that this is NOT best solved within the function code itself. When a function which is triggered by a queue fails (throws exception), the calling code retries that queue message several times. If the number of failures for a queue item exceeds a threshold, then the queue message is placed in the poison queue. A function should not notify of failure on every retry. Instead we…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. EventHub Trigger filtering based on properties

It would be great to be able to provide a filtering expression in the binding of an eventHubTrigger. Using this I could configure my function to only be invoked for certain events that match the filter. For example, I store a property called "eventType" in the application properties of each event. My function is potentially only interested in events of one or more specific types. Currently I code this logic into the function, which works fine. However, it counts as an unnecessary invocation and increases the cost. Ideally the filtering would take place in the host and not incur a…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unsure on this one but marking as unplanned. The filtering would also have to happen at the client to preserve ordering. However even if we did the filtering before the execution it’s still consuming compute so I don’t think it makes sense for it to be “free.” Just because the trigger is doing filtering before execution wouldn’t necessarily negate the price aspect. And since filtering often has some custom parsing / decoding / conditions it’s almost better to do it in code.

-
    Jeff

3. Don't 'hardcode' the storage account connection string for the storage account that backs azure functions

Currently each Function App has an application setting string "WEBSITE_CONTENTAZUREFILECONNECTIONSTRING"which is a fixed (=hardcoded) connection string. This breaks when performing key rotation on the connection string and is opaque to diagnose since that setting is automatically setup by the portal UI/wizard.

Can you instead just store the subscription ID and storage account name and then fetch the latest connection string for the storage account using the management API? This will make sure that the function app survives storage account key rotations

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Wildcard within path of blob input bindings

I wish we could specify blob storage input bindings path that included wildcard.

--- function.json
    {
    "type": "blob",
    "name": "faces",
    "path": "face/profile-{date}-*.png",
    "connection": "AzureWebJobsDashboard",
    "direction": "in"
    }

Then, I hope to process these as array of Blob objects.

---index.js

module.exports = function (context, myQueueItem) {

const fileSizeList = context.bindings.faces.map(face => face.size);

context.log(fileSizeList);
    context.done();

};

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. MQTT Subscriber trigger support as a first class trigger

Please add support for listening to MQTT 3.0 and 3.1 servers as a subscriber for a trigger. This would be immensely useful in IoT scenarios.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Azure B2C Trigger

It would be really helpful to be able to have triggers on Azure B2C, for example on new user added take some action etc.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Azure auth populate request.user

When using the azure auth over functions, specifically those that take a http trigger, it would be great if it would populate the request.user in a similar way you can do using node.js and passport (https://github.com/Azure-Samples/active-directory-b2c-javascript-nodejs-webapi/blob/master/index.js) rather than just providing some headers.

This would make it much easier to work with authenticated users and interact with their information

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow moving Function from Consumption to Service Plan

Currently if you deploy your function on a consumption plan there is no way to move it to an existing Service Plan like any other App Service.
    You would need to delete the existing one and redeploy it..

61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enhance Azure Durable Function performance by enabling use of Redis as a backend store

Durable functions are great, however they do run into some performance bottlenecks when working with fan out for really large numbers of tasks, reduce the overhead caused by Azure Storage reads and writes by enabling an option to use distributed in memory storage such as Azure Redis to implement the required backend queues & stores.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Azure Function - Event Grid Output Binding

Presently there is only an Azure Service Bus output binding for Azure Functions, there is nothing to pass the output on to another Event Grid Endpoint.

This would be very useful.

Kind Regards

Paul

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. better error handling for EventGrid calls that you want to retry

The Microsoft sample documentation (link below) suggests using a Run method with void return type. This doesn't allow convenient handling of errors that you want to handle by getting EventGrid to retry invoking the Azure Function again after a period. For example, my Azure Function sends a message to a server (Azure Container Instance) which may be down. In this situation I want EventGrid to invoke my Azure Function again after a period when the server might be up. However, with a void return type my only option seems to be that of throwing an exception (InvalidOperation?). Agreed, I could…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add "Deny" option when Request is not Authenticated

I have a function app set up as a private API that requires users to authenticate via Azure AD B2C to be able to make calls. My mobile app does the auth and then provides the Bearer token in the service calls.
    This all works but if someone happens to browse an endpoint in a browser I don't want them to be redirected to the login page as the API is only meant to be requested from within the mobile app.
    I would like an option to just deny access to the API when a request is not authorised.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support international SMTPUTF8 email addresses in Sendgrid output

It seems like international characters in email addresses are not supported.

I think SendGrid supports SMTPUTF8, as indicated here: https://sendgrid.com/blog/episode-2-of-the-grid-podcast

It would be nice if Azure Functions could successfully implement support for this as well.

When I send email to an address containing 'ø', the SendGrid portal displays the address as containing 'ø' in place of the 'ø', which is a typical ASCII/UTF-8 encoding mismatch. And the message is dropped with Reason 'Invalid'.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. consumption plan firewall enabled

Currently function apps is not working in consumption plan if we have firewall enabled in Event hub & Storage. We need support for this.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is current support in the Functions Premium plan. You will need to configure service endpoints on your EH and storage account, virtual network integration on your function app, and enable virtual network triggers.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-networking-options#virtual-network-triggers-non-http

Support for the Consumption plan has no ETA, so keep the votes coming!

Alex
    Azure Functions PM Team

16. Add support to Open Tracing/Zipkin

Opentracing (http://opentracing.io/) is a popular standard for tracing correlated requests across many different services communicating via RPC. It contains implementations on several different platforms and various tools (zipkin being one of the most popular ones). The standard can be easily extended over HTTP using dedicated headers from client/server side. It would be great if Azure functions would be able to provide more or less transparent support for it.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently working on supporting a suite of Azure based distributed tracing solutions. We have no current plans to support this tool, but would love to hear from the community, and are leaving this item open to collect feedback :)

Thanks!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

17. Zip deploy Functions with app level credentials instead of user credentials

Right now you if you want to use zip deploy you need to use user credentials, those can be used to deploy any function anywhere in your tenant. Not really the best way to handle DTAP. Would be nice if you could also the app level credentials which do work for the other deployment options.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Trigger Azure Function From Table Storage

Allow create, update and delete on a table storage row to trigger an Azure Function.

88 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Support authentication for Azure Function Core Tools

Azure Functions has been great, especially the ability to run the Core Tools locally. However, there are often scenarios where you return data depending on the currently authenticated user. This appears to be supported in Azure Functions in Azure now but there are no options within the Core Tools. This would be hugely useful for local development.

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add support for hybrid connections to Consumption Plan

Can we add Hybrid Connections to functions running in Consumption Plans

I'm aware of the idea ...
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/14807298-should-support-hybrid-connections

But this is for App Service Plans, and only mentions Consumption Plan in the response.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base