Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Configure ClaimsPrincipal / Auth Bindings

Currently, it's possible to add a ClaimsPrincipal binding to C# functions. This is awesome... except that you can't run the functions instance locally. Since all of the security configuration seems to be abstracted away to EasyAuth, you can't specify your own clientId/tenantId/audience/authority.

Developing locally, I can build a custom validator that accepts the HttpRequest and returns the ClientPrincipal (or goes one step further and accepts the roles I want to validate against and tells me whether the ClientPrincipal in the HttpRequest is authorized). When I do this, I can specify my auth configuration so that I can run my React…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Wildcards for queue names

When specifing a queueName for a ServiceBusTrigger in C#, it would be great to provide wildcards in the queueName, this way a single trigger can be used to handle queues from different and specific providers.
    For example, for queues "taskxproviderA","taskxproviderB" and "taskxproviderC", the queueName in the trigger would be "taskxprovider*".
    The trigger should also read messages evenly to prevent throttling.
    This way I can achieve two goals:
    1) Stop processing events for one provider (Setting the queue status
    to "receive only") while not loosing those messages if I…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add VNet integration to the Consumption plan

Currently, the only serverless solution for VNet integration is to upgrade to the premium consumption plan.

It seems like overkill to upgrade to a whole new (way pricier) plan, to simply use a static outbound IP with Azure functions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add VNet integration to the Consumption plan

Currently, the only serverless solution for VNet integration is to upgrade to the premium consumption plan.

It seems like overkill to upgrade to a whole new (way pricier) plan, to simply use a static outbound IP with Azure functions.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Unable to check the access log in application insights

Looking at application insights of Azure Function,
    I'm getting frequent 401 errors.
    I want to identify and block that IP address.
    But I can't check the access log in application insights.
    Please consider adding.
    I was guided to this website from Microsoft Japan.
    Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Unable to change quota on consumption function from portal or even CLI

I set a quota for my function app but still see this warning:

The function app has reached daily usage quota and has been stopped until the next 24 hours time frame.

I tried what the docs says to unset or higher the quota but is not possible to restart or even stop the function from running.
    Will be great a better management on function quota and a correct documentation, as the current docs shows misleading information.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add support for specifying attributes on Javascript Azure Functions service bus output bindings

Currently, specifying custom message attibutes when posting a message to a service bus output binding and a NodeJS Azure Function is not supported. This means that these messages cannot be filtered robustly using service bus topic subscriptions. Adding this support would ease implementing a fan-out pattern for message passing using NodeJS Azure Functions.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add Instance name to Application Insights event types

Currently you can configure Application Insights via Instrumentation Key. In Application Insights data of different event types (request, trace, dependency) have several properties (e.g. Cloud role name or cloud role instance).

I request a new property for Application Insights data. I would like to know the name of the related Azure Functions App instance (e.g. RD0003FFDBB8FA). The Azure Functions App instance should be the name of the instance that is shown in the Metrics area of the Azure Function App.

This is needed to map the data of Application Insights (e.g. a special request) with the instance of the Azure…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Azure Search like scheduling for Azure Function

Azure Search offers functionality to set up a Start DateTime and Interval (in mins) to schedule Indexer runs. Can we have a similar setup so that we can run Azure Function at a particular DateTime and then after at every interval?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Distribute timer functions more wisely

We have observed a behavior in Azure Functions, which assigns almost all timer function execution to one single instance within App Service Plan. It eventually makes it more possible to run out of resource, memory or CPU. Would it possible to distribute timer function execution more wisely? Just like event triggered function execution.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Read one queue item at a time

When calling a change token-based external API (get records since last change) from Azure Functions queue it is very important that queue items are run in order, one by one.

Explored several solutions to this, such as durable functions, but without luck.
    Currently using queues.batchSize = 1 to ensure concurrency, but this will affect all queues.
    If using consumption plan WEBSITEMAXDYNAMICAPPLICATIONSCALE_OUT must be set to 1, or else there might be several instances of the same function, and the batchSize fix won't help.

My dream scenario is some "concurrency key" in function.json, ensuring items with the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Run plain executables

Would love the ability just to upload a dotnet exe file, and have the function execute it and return the output. Or provide a reference to an existing exe in storage blob. Or a container with an exe inside it. This eliminates the overhead of creating a special function project and makes things easier to test locally. It makes things more generic so they can be integrated into open source infra like k8s.

Ultimately I'd love it if this same idea was adopted by all the cloud providers and k8s so that a function executable could be a first class…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow triggering from control plane

Can we have each function also have a "/Microsoft.Functions/myfn/execute" POST action that runs the function and returns the response? This would make it brain dead easy to set up permissions and policies on internal use functions and integrate well with the rest of the Azure ecosystem. This design would also make functions easier to integrate into k8s designs, since it would be all control plane. Plus I imagine it would be easy to implement.

Another benefit is once this is done, we can make functions a first class citizen of the cli. Just "az run myfn", and it can be…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support for Hybrid Connections in Linux-hosted Function Apps

Currently Hybrid Connections are supported by Linux App Services, but not Functions Apps hosted on Linux. This would get functions on Linux closer to functional parity with functions hosted on Windows.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. How about a complete tutorial?

I really hate that you guys are so lazy. You want us to use Azure, but your tutorials really suck. I mean like bottle of the barrel suck. My specific complaint is directed at durable functions. You walk us through a case and just stop after we deploy a very simple function. What are my entry points to call this function? How do I pass in URL parameters, what are the best practices? I mean, really? who in their right mind will actually walk through this tutorial and think, great! I am a durable function expert. Come on, you're Microsoft.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. support for grpc in azure functions and api management would be a great help

Now that grpc is a full member of .net it would be great that it is also supported in azure functions and in the azure api managment

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Better support for OpenAPI and API-M

It should be easy to create an API in azure functions, annotate the query arguments with documentation and examples, then export it to API-M - Currently this is difficult.

First OPENAPI support requires hunting around for the appropriate NUGET packages OpenAPI.NET.CSharpAnnotations - which is in Beta for over year, then you need to export out the definition via a custom endpoint, then that wont appear with the imported azure function in the API-M - so you need to merge it in - etc - All in all its very messy

Ideally Azure function would support native annotations for openAPI, these…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support Ubuntu 20.10 with repo

Simple, please support Ubuntu 20.10 with repositories and the rest.
    Thx!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. integration with App Config

It would be nice if Function apps would work with Azure App Config. Currently all the connection strings have to be hard-coded into the app or setup as local environment values (in local.settings.json or project's Environment settings) .

We have been trying to move ALL of our sensitive configuration (connection strings, ect) to Azure App Config and Azure Key Vault. Our Function Apps are sticking out like a sore thumb in this regard, and we are considering converting all our Function Apps to something else because of this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Can you add Scopes to Google Authentication in Function App

For some reason Scopes aren't included in the Google Authentication / Authorization portion of the Function App and when I try to authenticate using Google it fails and I get the error message that Scopes are required. They are available for Facebook and Microsoft and authentication works fine.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base