Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. more example in the guide

I'm struggling to implement a solution due to the lack of examples. in my case, I need to compress a file in a trigger for azure-blob-storage and save it in another container. none of the examples I found helped me to achieve the goal and I'm still searching. any help is welcome

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure Function - bind queue trigger using appsettings file

Originally posted on Visual Studio's feedback site:
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/Azure-Function---bind-queue-trigger-usin/1353412

When debugging an Azure Function with a queue binding like [QueueTrigger("%input-queue%")] locally, I can bind to a value in my local.settings.json like this: "input-queue": "debug-input". I would find it useful if I could configure the deployed function’s queue binding in an appsettings.json file like in the code extract below rather than having to bind it to a value in the Function App’s AppSettings.

[assembly: FunctionsStartup(typeof(FunctionApp2.Startup))]

namespace FunctionApp2
    {
    public class Startup : FunctionsStartup
    {
    public override void ConfigureAppConfiguration(IFunctionsConfigurationBuilder builder)
    {
    FunctionsHostBuilderContext context = builder.GetContext();

builder.ConfigurationBuilder
                .AddJsonFile(Path.Combine(context.ApplicationRootPath, "appsettings.json"), optional: false, reloadOnChange: false)
                .AddJsonFile(Path.Combine(context.ApplicationRootPath,
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow more variables to be used within the Identity Providers - not just the client secret

When creating an OpenID Connect provider for use with a Function App, you may create a new file within the root of the application e.g. auth.json and within this define the properties for connecting to a provider.
    Three items of configuration are important:
    1) Well known Configuration URL
    2) Client ID
    3) Client Secret

Only the latter benefits from variable-substitution by allowing me to add an item to the function's App Configuration.
    Therefore if I have a Config item called MYCLIENTSECRET it will use the associated value at runtime: otherwise it will default to a literal string.

Please…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Sync Button in Deployment Center Blade Should Full Sync

Currently with a Durable Function apps, if you make to many changes to the function names, the Function App in the portal will come out of sync and the only fix is to either deploy a new Function App with a new name or delete the Function App and recreate it.

You can ssh to your Function App and go to /home/site/wwwroot/ and see a read only mount of all previously pushed functions in your Function App. We only need the most recent copy from source control very much like the 'start sync' button on Azure Automation accounts which will…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add support for snapshot debugger feature in Azure Functions running on the Consumption and Premium hosting plans

This feature is an amazing feature that is currently only supported for Functions running on App Service hosting plan. However, Consumption and Premium plans are used a lot with Functions and therefore this feature should be available for those platforms as well. It is a feature I am missing for Consumption plan at the moment to better debug my production Functions Apps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Orchestrator that is not durable

Looking at orchestrators, I think the only reason orchestrators need to be durable is that we want to destroy it during IO and resume with new one after IO return. While that is valid reason, there are so many reasons to create non-durable orchestrator

Scenarios where simplicity is more important than cost
    Avoid complexity and limitations introduced by durable orchestrator
    Avoid slowness of using state on storage
    Ability to pass cancellation to activity functions
    Replace Http triggered functions with Activity functions (by replacing asp.net core calling http triggered functions with orchestrator calling activity functions)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Move the HttpTrigger to method annotation instead of (or in addition to) parameter declaration for better readability

Move the HttpTrigger annotation before / above the method to make it more readable

[FunctionName("GetFooById")]
    public async Task<IActionResult> GetFoo(
    [HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Anonymous, "get", Route="Foo/{id:int}")]
    int id, ILogger log) { ...}

[FunctionName("GetFooById")]
    [HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Anonymous, "get",Route="Foo/{id:int}")]
    public async Task<IActionResult> GetFoo(int id, ILogger log) { ...}

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support binding query parameters in HttpTrigger

The HttpTrigger already supports binding route parameters to variables [1] and it would be nice if it supported binding query parameters as well.

Related info: ASP.NET Core supports binding query parameters using the FromQuery attribute [2]

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-http-webhook-trigger?tabs=csharp#using-route-parameters
    [2] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.aspnetcore.mvc.fromqueryattribute?view=aspnetcore-5.0

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Java dependency injection in azure function app with cosmosDBtrigger

Currently I see the DI is available for HTTP request , can we see if it can be available for cosmosdbtrigger.
    It would help if we setup static/single cosmosclient if we want to perform other acctions as part of change feed -> cosmosdb trigger event

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow to use Newtonsoft for all model binding

Azure Function HttpTrigger supports automatically parsing JSON into a custom type, but it uses some other parser that Newtonsoft. Please allow to use Newtonsoft.

Newtonsoft supports marking a field as required and validate the required fields. Since we cannot instruct Azure Functions to use Newtonsoft as deserializer, we must write the deserializer code ourselves.

Microsoft documentation on HttpTrigger parsing into custom type https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-http-webhook-trigger?tabs=csharp#payload

There are a closed issue for this feature here: https://github.com/Azure/Azure-Functions/issues/1618
    I figured it was closed because it is a feature request and not a bug.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Expose a Service Tag to whitelist Function App running on Consumption Plan

Function App (Consumption plan) is widely being used; however, when it comes to whitelisting the App to access other Azure services, we have no alternative but to allow every possible outbound IP function app might use. Unfortunately, this also does not work because the outbound IPs are dynamic in the consumption plan. This makes the system fail as we never know what outbound IP the App will use for the next request.

The feature request I am proposing is to expose a service tag for Function App running on the Consumption plan. Thus, one can whitelist the entire App based…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add logging and alerting for unexpected application restarts

If the app experiences a fatal error and crashes, Azure automatically restarts the app. However, there is no easy way to see in logs that his happened, nor is there a way to be alerted. When this happened in our app, the only record of the error was in the "eventlog.xml" in Kudu. We would like to see these events in App Insights such that we can build alerts around them and more easily discover them.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Azure Functions instable with Python 3.9

When using Python 3.9 as coding platform for an Azure Function App, I'm getting very often 404 Not Found errors when calling the functions. MS Support team suggested to downgrade to Python 3.8, which seems to make the FA a lot more stable. Would be good to investigate why Python 3.9 on FA is not stable.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Unable to disable function because it has "-" in its name

In my function app I'm trying to disable a function adding the App Settings in Configuration like this: "AzureWebJobs.<FUNCTION_NAME>.Disabled" my function name is "generate-masive-load" but setting this property gives me an error that says: "App setting names can only contain letters numbers ..." the name of my function is valid so I would like to be able to disable my function passing the name including the "-" character, specially because my function is contenerized and I can't disable it from the panel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. EventHub host.json settings per trigger

Be able to set host.json settings separately for each event hub trigger in a function so they can run with different maxBatchSizes and prefetchCounts

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Give the ability to run a timer based function (deployed in AKS) on-demand

I want to be able to trigger a timer based function on demand. This is possible for function deployed in Azure portal but not when it is deployed in AKS.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. binding trigger for Apache ActiveMQ

Would be great to have a built-in binding trigger (input trigger at least) to allow azure functions to participate as a consumer on an activemq queue/topic, similar to how azure functions can consume from azure service bus. This enables simple and easy integration with other cloud services.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. premium plan billing and resource usage

Based on the document, function premium plan is billed based on vCPU and memory consumption.

We need a feature to check vCPU and memory usage.
    Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support for running functionapps on dotnetcore 5 on alpine image

Aleady spent time with an awesome engineer and the product group under ticket 2104210060004479 trying to get this working but some current limitations, we’d like to use alpine for smaller size/security footprint for functionapps as we do currently for our appservices

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Startup Code For Azure Functions in Node JS

There is a need to have some code execute on startup. There is this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-warmup?tabs=javascript which executes on scale, but if we could changed that to have it run on the first, initial instance as well we could achieve the same thing that C# functions have: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-dotnet-dependency-injection

This will allow Azure Functions to have true "singleton/global" variables.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base