Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure Functions?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Event Domain or Event Grid output binding

Add Event Domain or Event Grid output bindings to azure functions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for Azure Managed Service Identities in EventHub (and other) triggers

In Event Hub, I can add my Function App's MSI as a data reader, but in the function I cannot use trigger bindings to read from the queue without using a SecureAccess Key. We are trying to go password free wherever possible, and Azure has been promoting this course of action, so why do we need secret keys for reading from the queue? It then forces us to create and share a secret key for partner teams to read from our queue, rather than just permissioning them in Event Hub.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. UDR Support for VNET Integrated Function Apps

Function Apps that are VNET integrated require a dedicated subnet. The Subnet that is allocated does not currently support UDR. Without the UDR Support we cant route this traffic through a fIrewall appliance for on-premise connectivity.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Profiler support for .Net Core Azure Functions

I would like to be able to profile a .Net Core Azure Function such that I can see a breakdown of how long each method invocation takes within the call stack so I can optimise any bottlenecks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add settings to change local logs verbosity/level

When running functions locally, on every call to a function I am bombarded with logs, can we have an options on the cli, or in local.settings.json to change the logs verbosity/level (debug/info/warning/error...) so it will be easier to debug and work with functions?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support custom containers in a consumption plan

My use case is that we need to generate licenses on the fly via an external web app. Currently, we are generating licenses ahead of time by using Selenium to navigate the external app. We would like to just So basically, whenever we need a new license, we would like to just spin up a new container, run the Selenium script and then shutdown the container.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Please support calls to System.Drawing.Bitmap ?

Hello Team,
    Azure function v2 engine does not support calls to System.Drawing.Bitmap class. I understand that this limitation has been documented under https://github.com/projectkudu/kudu/wiki/Azure-Web-App-sandbox

I find System.Drawing.Bitmap very useful when it comes to reading image files. Our current product (on .NET Framework) relies on System.Drawing for image processing and works very well. However we are unable to port to Azure because of the sandbox restrictions.

I request the team to consider this support in future versions of the runtime.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. PowerShell cmdlets for Functions

Customer is requesting support in PowerShell to Start and Stop an Azure Function app. For more info, please see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56168831/how-to-stop-start-azure-function-from-powershell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. provide support for binary headers in runtime 2 for service bus triggers

if the service bus message contains the header "@\u0006string\b3http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/10/Serialization/?\u000b" then version 2 returns a null string for the message body (meta data is returned correctly). In Version 1 the body is returned correctly.

Please could version 2 of the runtime be updated to return messages in the same way that version 1 does.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. azure cli from azure functions

I would like to run az cli from azure fuction.

it will help me to manage my Azure environment.

So far azure cli is not able from azure function. I'm getting:
    2019-05-13T13:19:33.237 [Error] ERROR: The term 'az' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Script.Rpc.RpcException : Result: ERROR: The term 'az' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Infinite Recursion Loop does not give error

I accidentally created an infinite recursion loop in my C# dll. This was hit during Azure function execution. However, instead of giving an error, the host would simply die with no error or further logging. While the loop should've been detected by me earlier, the fact that I got no errors lead me down the wrong path for a while and made it much harder to debug.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

12. Julia lang support for Azure Functions

With Julia lang reaching v1.0 last year, it is emerging as a force in machine learning and other scientific computing applications,

https://juliacomputing.com/case-studies/

In particular, BlackRock's Aladdin, Conning Asset Management, and Aviva are all using Julia for financial risk modeling and I see a great opportunity for Julia to impact finance among other things. I'd love to be able to use Julia in Azure Functions for my fintech startup.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Address Azure Functions Resiliency Weakness to Azure Service DNS issues

Azure DNS issue R50C-5RZ caused multiple core Azure function triggers to fail across our subscriptions due to loss of access to Storage Accounts.

The DNS issue made all our storage accounts temporarily unresolvable by DNS and because of the tight coupling with Azure functions, function triggers failed due to the inability to resolve storage account urls but did not recover when the DNS issue was corrected.

There were some Socketexception / 'remote host not found' errors logged in App insights but seemed to be no way to know that the trigger was in a failed state (unless a build up…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an awesome idea!
    We’re very unlikely to be able to reduce our dependency on DNS, but we can generally handle failing triggers more gracefully.

“Handle temporary loss of a storage account without requiring a manual restart” is a scenario we’re targeting.

Keep the feedback coming!
    Alex

14. Azure Functions Tools fail to start when there is a non american character on the user name (%userprofile% directory)

The network administrator just setup Active Directory integration and my user profile directory was created with non american characters. My name has an accent (^ ê).
    My azure function project stopped working and I found out that the only problem was having an accent in the user profile directory.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. add proxy header removal option

Would it possible to not only override/add headers, but also remove header like x-forwarded-for.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Provide memory usage data in context object

It would be great if we could manage memory in realtime in our code. Please provide a method to check memory usage in the context object so that we can take mitigating steps in our code if there is not enough memory.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Access the management console for Azure Functions in an App Service Environment deployed via ILB

As it stands, Azure Functions and Web Jobs deployed in an intranet-based App Service Environment cannot be managed via the Azure portal unless the user is connected to the internal network or VPN. It appears that the advanced management console code is deployed into the App Service Environment for these services,, as the SCM host name is provisioned on the custom domain. This makes remote management difficult especially for enterprise customers.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Proxies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Provide Rest api call for creating Azure Functional App other than creating from portal

Hi Folks,

Please , provide the rest api call link for creating new azure Functional App. Current option i could see is through portal and azure cli commands.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. ip restriction

IP Restrictions is not available for Linux Functions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. C# vs csx

In the documentation, for clarity reasons, when describing csx files, indicate CSX and not C# in the title bar like in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-reference-csharp;

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Feedback and Knowledge Base