Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. entryPoint is deleted when changing bindings through Portal

If you rename your Run() function and use the entryPoint config in the function.json to point to the renamed function everything works fine.

But if you then edit one of your bindings through the Portal (for example changing the from address on the SendGrid output binding) the entryPoint disappears from the function.json.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The PK and RK of the log table need to be redesigned!!!!

Seems the function wire log to a table, but the PK and RK of the table does not help on query at all!!!. It also makes the Monitor function extremely slow. It need to be redesigned as most other Azure apps did, put function name as PK, and the time tick as RK.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Readable compilation error messages with CI

In the current version (0.8), if you are using continuous integration and there is a problem compiling, you have to turn off CI to get a readable error message.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. The Clear Log is broken in the new version!!!

Seems new bug in the new version. click "Clear" the log, the log window cleared out but nothing come back then. I need refresh the browser to get the log window working again. Happens in both IE and Chrome.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Is there any alternate way for creating Azure Functions other than using Azure Portal?

Hi,
    I have limited access to azure portal. Can I find alternate way to create Azure Function?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable calling of other functions via internal ID

I'd like to be able to call other functions via an internal "ID" and worst case not to have to go back out to the internet and then come back in to Azure to call another function.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Azure Durable Functions (now in preview) allows you to invoke another function by its function name. We have evaluated allowing for cross-app invocation but may have its own constraints as well – feel free to comment or create an additional item if cross-app or cross-region invocation may be needed as well to get votes on urgency/demand.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/durable-functions-overview#pattern-1-function-chaining

-
    Jeff

7. Create new function by cloning/copying existing function

When creating a new function I'd like to start from an existing function I already created.

In my particular case I have a function where I've uploaded multiple additional files (python modules) and each function will need the same files, but today I have to re-upload them all.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Console w/ one-click from Functions main screen

When I'm editing a function and want to run console commands, rather than me having to go into KUDU by hacking a URL and add "-scm" to it in new browser tab OR go into Function App Settings and then Advanced settings|Go to App Service Settings then clicking Console.
    Give me ability to click an icon to show a console so I can run commands.

Scenarios for this show up in blog posts like https://freerangeeggs.net/2016/08/19/sending-application-insights-alerts-to-slack-using-azure-functions/

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Create "Dynamic" App Service plan in existing Resource Group

It appears you cannot create a new "Dynamic" App Service Plan in an existing Resource Group, only a brand new group (at least, according to the Azure Portal). Please allow us to create this plan in an existing group so that we can logically group Function Apps we write into the Resource Group that it belongs to.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Should support hybrid connections

would be great if Azure functions would support Hybrid connections like other Web Apps. this intro blog says it does: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-azure-functions/
    but I cannot find it anywhere since the networking tab is not available in settings in the app.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 'Compilation failed' should provide more details

I created an Azure function and when try to run it says compilation failed but doesn't tell what is the issue because of which compilation failed. It would be better to provide more details so the issues can be fixed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. PowerShell HTTP Trigger template - Out-File "typo" (nice to have)

The template for HTTP trigger in PowerShell has a Out-file command

Out-File -Encoding Ascii $Env:res -inputObject "Hello $name"

it should be using the full parameter names to make it more understandable

Out-File -FilePath $Env:res -Encoding Ascii -inputObject "Hello $name"

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Only remove queue item when output successful

It would be useful to be only remove the trigger when the function completes without error. Related to this, it would be useful to have a retry policy. For example, with a queue trigger, the item is not marked as complete if the output fails to complete.

I have a fabricated example: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/azuredev/2016/05/30/race-conditions-in-microservices/

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Persist/buffer function logs when switching between functions in the Functions UI

I have several functions in a Functions App that interact with each other in the sense that one creates queue items that trigger another. In the Functions UI I can view the logs of a function but when I switch to another function I can only see new log entries and not previous entries. So if I am watching one log and I see an event trigger that should be handled by another function by the time I switch to that function to review the log the event has completed and the log entries are not visible.

I would suggest…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Visual Studios tooling with local execution, debugging

Integrated support for Azure Functions projects in Visual Studio including being able to execute and test locally.

104 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Should be support real-time Storage blob triggers

Azure Functions is awesome! I'd like to propose for more convenience.
    Currently, Storage blob triggers do NOT support real-time. Because write at
    "https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/functions-reference/"

"The Functions runtime scans log files to watch for new or changed blobs. This process is not real-time;"

It is very inconvenience for me. I feel troublesome to use queue.

Amazon Lambda has storage event. They can notice real-time and very easy setting.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lambda/latest/dg/with-s3.html
    http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/NotificationHowTo.html

49 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Should support trigger for azure service bus queues/topics etc.

Azure functions should have a trigger for azure service bus queues/topics so that when a new message appears in the queue/topic, the configured azure function can be triggered. This is very useful when one wants to quickly demonstrate scalable and reliable proof of concepts on azure. It would also pave the way for authoring small scale business solutions on azure.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bring the context object to more languages

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/functions-reference/#comment-2605996917

The javascript runtime provides a "context" object that is referenced to include things like parameters, bindings, and the 'done' reporting mechanism.

For simplicity and consistency purposes, I'd expect to see this across languages.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Support for custom URLs

It seems like currently the HTTP endpoints for Azure Functions are limited to /api/*?code={code}.

It would be great to be able to support a custom URL so that clean or existing APIs could be created on Azure Functions without needing to have a server to do the mapping.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Compile other .cs files alongside Run.csx

It would be handy to submit additional .cs files that get compiled along with the Run.csx file.

This way, we can organize our function code more effectively, but without the overhead of building a separate .dll/NuGet package.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c20c58b4-87fc-4179-bfc9-dddd654d1c2a/can-i-upload-a-project-or-set-of-fliles-instead-of-just-the-online-editor-for-a-single-file-in-azure

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base