Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for blob trigger on entire storage account

Microsoft’s mobile services are designed to place blobs that are pushed in from mobile clients into many containers - a separate container for each entity that the files are associated with. Microsoft’s solution for sourcing events from blob operations is not compatible with this, as the existing blob trigger required you to know the name of the container at setup/binding time. It would be useful to have a blob trigger that can monitor an entire storage account.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Changing this and clarifying. You can do this today with the Event Grid trigger (e.g. create an event grid trigger and then add subscriptions for each container in a storage account – or many storage accounts – and point to same function). That’s the way that works today and is planned to be the solution for this short term. However leaving this open as I think it was more general to have the Blob and not the Event Grid trigger do this. Keep the votes coming and comment on if Event Grid may not be enough.

-
    Jeff

2. SQL Azure trigger support

Azure functions are great, but a lot of application logic is driven by data in SQL Azure DBs. It would be great to have a trigger based on a SQL Azure row data.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The dynamic tier should never run out of sockets

If you have too many connections, you can get SocketExceptions. The dynamic tier was meant to stop us from having to think about server instances, but with a connection limit, the dynamic tier is useless and we are back to the standard service plans.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is an awesome idea, and we’re exploring a few options to make it a reality.
    However, the 600 connection limit per instance should be enough for most applications if you’re reusing or closing connections. If you truly need 600 open connections you are likely to run into the 10 minute timeout per execution.
    Even after we add this you will still need to be mindful of your connection management.

Keep the votes coming!
    —Alex

4. Support for queue settings per function

As I was looking for a way to configure the visibility timeout for queue messages I found that the only configuration seemed to be at the host level. The problem is that my queues have different needs and one setting will not work optimally for all queues. I am looking for a way to configure each queue independently.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Quartz Timer Feature

Please enhance Azure Functions or Azure in general that exposes an API against which we can post quartz like timer jobs.

Would be great to set a timer in Azure that can eventually trigger an Azure Function when executing.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Better support for SharedAccessSignature for inputs and outputs

I have a Azure Function with an Azure Table as input, and I was trying to use a SharedAccessSignature in the connection string. I wanted to limit access to a specific table, and provide no access to other Azure storage services. However, when I try to run the function, there are errors saying that no Blob endpoint is configured, no Queue endpoint is configured, etc.

I would like to have a connection string with only TableEndpoint and a SharedAccessSignature, and support signatures that limit access to a specific table or even a specific subset of a table (partition key range).…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enable custom 3rd party authentication providers

Outside of out of the box providers like facebook and google, provide samples and guidance on how to authenticate with others like LinkedIn.

157 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’ve gotten a few questions about this item recently, so I just wanted to give a more detailed status. We still have this on the backlog; it hasn’t been forgotten. But we don’t have a clear timeline for when we would get to it right now. The “unplanned” status just means that it can’t be tied to a timeline, but we do think this is a valid request that we would like to have in the product.
    - Matthew

8. Add Auth0 to list of identity providers and allow custom URL in 'URL Authorization Rules

[This is more an AppService issue but there's not forum for that.]

It's important to me to have the ability to use a custom authentication UI and Auth0 provide this and their own database for user storage. Otherwise I have to roll my own. My users do not have any existing accounts (including email) and so need a simple username / password experience (as horrible this might be for most of us)

A reasonable list of providers is available but adding Auth0 will open the possibilities up. Auth0 is not only excellent but acts as a proxy to a very…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Autocomplete and intellisense on a portal

Hi,
    it's cool that we have source code editor, but without Autocomplete and intellisense it's really hard write and debug code directly on a porta.
    Few years ago was project Monaco on a classic azure porta. could you reuse it add autocomplete somehow else?!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Search input/output bindings

Want to treat documents of the Azure Search as JSON from the Function Apps.

First about input bindings. See following pseudo function.json.

{

"bindings": [

{
    "name": "req",
    "type": "httpTrigger",
    "direction": "in"
    },
    {
    "name": "search_result",
    "type": "search",
    "direction": "in",
    "serviceName": "mybookshelf",
    "indexName": "book",
    "apiKey": "envname-SEARCH_ADMIN_KEY",
    "queryType": "full",
    "searchMode": "all",
    "searchFields": ["id", "title", "author"],
    "search": "title:{title} AND genre:{genre}"
    },
    {
    "name": "res",
    "type": "http",
    "direction": "out"
    }
    ]

}

When an http request is arrived, contents of $search_result likes as followings.

[

{

"id": "e583e025-01f4-4288-8dec-be6723afe607",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.1",
    "author": "Akira TORIYAMA"
    },
    {
    "id": "bb0086f9-e924-450c-b615-f51fb730e339",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.2",
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Sync code from blob storage

I find the current deployment model way too difficult to work with. Please consider supporting auto-sync from blob storage, similar to what aws lambda offers.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Support etags for Azure Table Storage read/write operations

I use python functions to read/write into Azure tables, unfortunately the etags are hidden. It would be quite useful to be able to access the eTags to ensure consistency of writes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Output to Service Bus Queues Dynamically

I have an Azure Function that binds to an input Event Hub and an output Service Bus Namespace. The output binding accepts the name of a queue. However, the event data coming from the Event Hub can potentially go to different queues. The determinant is in the message data. It would be nice to be able to tokenize the queue destination based on event data coming from the Event Hub

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Azure Function C# template to use nameof() and appropriate function name

How about change C# template like below form?

[FunctionName(nameof(HttpTriggerCSharp))
    public static ...HttpTriggerCSharp(...)
    {
    }

I think all of functions name has Run() might not reasonable. and utilize nameof() could be very helpful to change function name and readibility

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. When the major upgrade to .NET Framework in the future, We want to do integration tests on Function App.

When the major upgrade to .NET Framework in the future, We want to do integration tests on Function App. It means that We would like to not only Local tests but also integration tests.
    (ex. executing function app from logic app)
    Also, We would like to have an option to upgrade as and when required.

[background]
    Currently, we can only local test for upcoming upgrade to .NET Framework 4.7.2
    https://github.com/Azure/app-service-announcements/issues/89

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enable Reader Access to view Azure Functions Monitor area so that they can view the running state of that Azure Function.

Enable Reader Access to view Azure Functions Monitor area so that they can view the running state of that Azure Function. This is important for Prod environments where most users only have only Reader access.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is currently unsupported, along with a large set of features that do not work in the portal with only reader view.
    There is work underway to remove this requirement, and allow us to enable UI for reader access.
    I will update this issue once we have planned that work.

In the meantime, you can still view your logging information directly in the Application Insights instance for your Function App as a reader.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

17. Add "Deny" option when Request is not Authenticated

I have a function app set up as a private API that requires users to authenticate via Azure AD B2C to be able to make calls. My mobile app does the auth and then provides the Bearer token in the service calls.
    This all works but if someone happens to browse an endpoint in a browser I don't want them to be redirected to the login page as the API is only meant to be requested from within the mobile app.
    I would like an option to just deny access to the API when a request is not authorised.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support international SMTPUTF8 email addresses in Sendgrid output

It seems like international characters in email addresses are not supported.

I think SendGrid supports SMTPUTF8, as indicated here: https://sendgrid.com/blog/episode-2-of-the-grid-podcast

It would be nice if Azure Functions could successfully implement support for this as well.

When I send email to an address containing 'ø', the SendGrid portal displays the address as containing 'ø' in place of the 'ø', which is a typical ASCII/UTF-8 encoding mismatch. And the message is dropped with Reason 'Invalid'.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add binding attribute to control function scaling

We use azure functions extensively. One of the issues we have is not being able to control individual functions scaling. I am not talking bout the function app here, but the functions themselves.

Using the new attribute binding system could be a very nice way to set the max number of instances a function can spawn.
    [MaxParallelExecution(5)] or something like that.

this would make it so that particular function does not scale over 5 instances.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)