Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. More Python examples

Still not clear on how to use some of the methods. Could we have more examples or scenarios?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Increase VM SKU options for premium plan

As durable functions for python become GA this year, it would make sense to increase the limit for number of cores available to be used for a function app. For ETL jobs that can be parallelized, it would be very beneficial. Is there a plan to offer more SKUs?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Corelating logs between Azure functions activity and ADF

How can i co-relate my ADF activity runs and Azure function activity.
    I've some custom logs in Azure functions and i would like to corelate this with ADF run logs

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Processing Python Dataframes - how to write out to Blob Storage?

I am trying to build a file processing function - ingests excel files, performs some column transformations using python data frames. subsequently I want to write the file to a Storage Container. So far I haven't been able to read from the docs on how to convert the python DataFrame into a Stream that is writable? How can we achieve that?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Forwarding the client certificates in Azure Functions Proxies.

Our customer would like to have the features for forwarding the client certificates in Functions Proxies.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Slots for Linux consumption plan

It would be great to see support for deployment slots in Linux consumption plan.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. azure cli from azure functions

I would like to run az cli from azure fuction.

it will help me to manage my Azure environment.

So far azure cli is not able from azure function. I'm getting:
    2019-05-13T13:19:33.237 [Error] ERROR: The term 'az' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Script.Rpc.RpcException : Result: ERROR: The term 'az' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

triaged  ·  5 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Azure Function triggers to be enabled/disabled at runtime

This feature would allow developers to decide when a triggered function (Service Bus, Event Grid, Storage queue, ...) should be disabled or re-enabled.

Consider the following scenario where you develop a function that's being trigged by new messages on a Service Bus Queue. Whenever your function gets triggered you call a downstream API. This downstream API could have throttling limits or might have issues. To get around this you think about implementing the Circuit Breaker pattern. Whenever the circuit opens, you would stop calling the downstream API.

Today the only way to stop processing messages it to completely stop the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow to set message property such as sessionId to Service Bus output bindings for node.js

There is no option to set the sessionId in Service Bus output bindings for node.js environment.
    I suggest to add that

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a "Run" button to the portal

There are 2 documented ways to "manually" run a funciton.

HTTP triggered: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-create-first-azure-function#test-the-function

Non-HTTP triggered: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-manually-run-non-http

Both approaches are quite clunky. Since running a function manually is obviously possible and documented, it seem like a glaring omission that a simple "Run" button isn't provided in the portal.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Azure Function functionTimeout needs to be configurable per-environment via app settings, not only through host.json

I need to configure my functionTimeout on an Azure Function per-environment. I have dev deployments that should just use a default timeout, and production deployments that can handle a long timeout (dedicated app service).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Consumption plan for Linux-based function apps in Canadian regions

Hi, are there any plans to open up consumption plans for Linux-based function apps in Canada Central or Canada East regions?

Thanks.

--Lalindra

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Client cert authentication support in Azure functions

the ability to support mutual authentication with client certs. Today the only way to do this is built it into your functions
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49686316/azure-functions-configure-client-certificate-authentication
    it would be great to have this as a feature of the platform.

you could compare this lack of functionality to the something like Kubernetes ingress controller that easily allows you to do mutual auth https://github.com/kubernetes/ingress-nginx/tree/master/docs/examples/auth/client-certs

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Function Apps to Switzerland West Azure region

Add Azure Function Apps to be available in Switzerland West Azure region

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow configuration of Storage Account for Function with Event Hub input binding

Currently, an Azure Function gets one Storage Account, which is configured via the AzureWebJobsStorage property.

This Storage Account is then used for any meta-data that the Function may need to store to work as expected.

In the case of an Event Hub input bound Function, a blob container is created, which tracks the checkpoint of every partition in the Event Hub.

Due to the Storage Account requirements for a Function, it is not possible to take advantage of Premium Storage for the Event Hub checkpointing process.

While it makes sense to require a Storage Account that can support multiple types…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

It would be great to get an a sense for some of the specific features you need from the storage configuration, but this seems like a perfectly reasonable request. There has been some recent exploration of the AzureWebJobsStorage usage, so we’ll look to see how that all lines up with this.

17. Allow regex or port ranges in CORS rules

Not sure if this is Azure Functions specific, but it would be great to be able to specify a regex statement or a range of ports for a CORS rule for my function app.

My specific use case is I am working on a Twitch.tv extension, and the "developer rig" they provide for hosting the frontend files when developing locally uses a new random port number every time the files are reloaded, and I can't change that behavior. I would love to be able to specify a CORS rule like " http://localhost:[50000-60000] " but it seems this isn't allowed. I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Visual Studio always uses name of req in the function.json file

Visual Studio always puts name : req in the function.json file. There appears to be no way to set this from code, and when publishing, it overwrites any manual changes you may have made. This name needs to be the different when using an additional parameter to your function method, like an auth token from Azure AD.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow non-public constructor for Function DI

A (non-static) Function's constructor that is used for dependency injection must currently be public.

Sometimes a Function has dependencies that (even as interfaces) are internal to its own project. As parameters of a public constructor, they are forced to become public, even though that is not the correct visibility modifier for them.

Non-public constructors (particularly internal ones) are the natural solution to this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. support http input binding

support http input binding
    I found that input binding for HTTP did not exist.

In my case, I needed to have a function request data via HTTP, and then write to Azure Table. (timer trigger)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base