Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. EventHub Trigger filtering based on properties

It would be great to be able to provide a filtering expression in the binding of an eventHubTrigger. Using this I could configure my function to only be invoked for certain events that match the filter. For example, I store a property called "eventType" in the application properties of each event. My function is potentially only interested in events of one or more specific types. Currently I code this logic into the function, which works fine. However, it counts as an unnecessary invocation and increases the cost. Ideally the filtering would take place in the host and not incur a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unsure on this one but marking as unplanned. The filtering would also have to happen at the client to preserve ordering. However even if we did the filtering before the execution it’s still consuming compute so I don’t think it makes sense for it to be “free.” Just because the trigger is doing filtering before execution wouldn’t necessarily negate the price aspect. And since filtering often has some custom parsing / decoding / conditions it’s almost better to do it in code.

-
    Jeff

2. Proxies should support backend.request.body expressions in requestOverrides

Would be great to be able to create or change the request BODY dutring request overrides processing like it is possible for headers and the method already. Expressions could override parts of the body, create a body when e.g. overriding a GET to a POST or update body parts / subparts. Even deletion of body or body parts would be usable...

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Proxies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Wildcard within path of blob input bindings

I wish we could specify blob storage input bindings path that included wildcard.

--- function.json
    {
    "type": "blob",
    "name": "faces",
    "path": "face/profile-{date}-*.png",
    "connection": "AzureWebJobsDashboard",
    "direction": "in"
    }

Then, I hope to process these as array of Blob objects.

---index.js

module.exports = function (context, myQueueItem) {

const fileSizeList = context.bindings.faces.map(face => face.size);

context.log(fileSizeList);
    context.done();

};

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Azure B2C Trigger

It would be really helpful to be able to have triggers on Azure B2C, for example on new user added take some action etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add support to Open Tracing/Zipkin

Opentracing (http://opentracing.io/) is a popular standard for tracing correlated requests across many different services communicating via RPC. It contains implementations on several different platforms and various tools (zipkin being one of the most popular ones). The standard can be easily extended over HTTP using dedicated headers from client/server side. It would be great if Azure functions would be able to provide more or less transparent support for it.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are currently working on supporting a suite of Azure based distributed tracing solutions. We have no current plans to support this tool, but would love to hear from the community, and are leaving this item open to collect feedback :)

Thanks!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

6. Enable direct internal Function-to-Function calls

There is a need to call one Function from another Function without an Internet round-trip, and without dependencies on additional services. (To me, "no Internet round-trip" implies the same region, but if "anywhere within Azure" optimizations could be made without a direct http call to go elsewhere, that would also be ideal.)

Since the request linked below was closed as Completed even though the "resolution" refers to orchestration, a completely different concern, I'm opening this to re-request with the original intent.

Related: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/15622413-enable-calling-of-other-functions-via-internal-id

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. MQTT Subscriber trigger support as a first class trigger

Please add support for listening to MQTT 3.0 and 3.1 servers as a subscriber for a trigger. This would be immensely useful in IoT scenarios.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Global exception handler

Make it possible to have a global exception handler in C# Azure Functions App project - to be able to handle exceptions in one central location.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Java support for Azure Functions on Gradle

I hope to be able to create with gradle.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. consumption plan firewall enabled

Currently function apps is not working in consumption plan if we have firewall enabled in Event hub & Storage. We need support for this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is current support in the Functions Premium plan. You will need to configure service endpoints on your EH and storage account, virtual network integration on your function app, and enable virtual network triggers.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-networking-options#virtual-network-triggers-non-http

Support for the Consumption plan has no ETA, so keep the votes coming!

Alex
    Azure Functions PM Team

11. Add "clientCertEnabled" support for local development of Azure Functions

If I set the following flag on my azure-published azure-function "clientCertEnabled": true, my sample code below is able to use/consume the client certificate I send.

I am unable to get local debugging to accept client-certificates.

This makes unit-testing my azure function very difficult.

using System;
    using System.Net;
    using System.Net.Http;
    using System.Threading.Tasks;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Extensions.Http;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Host;
    using System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;

namespace MyNamespace
    {

public static class ClientCertificateTest

{
    [FunctionName("ClientCertificateTestFunctionName")]
    public static async Task<HttpResponseMessage> Run([HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Function, "post", Route = null)]HttpRequestMessage req, TraceWriter log)
    {
    try
    {
    System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate2 cert = req.GetClientCertificate();

X509Certificate2 headerCert = null;
    System.Net.Http.Headers.HttpRequestHeaders headers = req.Headers;
    if…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Excel support for calling Azure functions with parameters

being able to call an Azure function directly from a worksheet.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add max calls/per day|hour|minute configuration for throttling

Now- any light ddos attack that Azure will not recognize- will affect me and my account. If I know that my service shouldn't receive more than 10000 calls per day, but I can't setup limits on incoming requests.

"Daily Usage Quota (GB-Sec)"- not bad idea, but it's something internal and synthetic for me. Call/per day- is much more native metrics for users.

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Moving this work item to unplanned, as it is clear that this request is no for a global throughput limit.

We do now offer the ability to limit your maximum instances in the Premium plan, which will allow you to avoid swamping downstream resources. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-premium-plan#plan-and-sku-settings

We prioritized that above a max call per X limit, because our only control to limit throughput is to outright deny some number of requests above a threshold.

Keep the feedback coming!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

14. Support for R

Are there any plans to support R scripts in the future?

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add an empty / drain trigger to Azure Storage Queues

Currently there seems to be no easy way to run code as soon as a Storage Queue has been emptied. It would be great to have an empty or drain trigger to call a different Azure Function for some pre-processing of batch jobs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Device Twin Trigger from IoT Hub

Add a trigger when a chance occurs in the IoT Hub device twin

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Folders for organizing Functions and a TreeView Function List in the Portal

Already I have a Functions App that is growing larger than works well in the existing Portal interface.

I would like to suggest adding support for folders (similar to solution folders in Visual Studio) that allow one to organize functions. And then a TreeView for the Function list in the Portal.

For example I have several processed in my Function App. Each process may have one or more steps that are usually individual Functions. It would be great to put all the related Functions together in a folder.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. console.log works as well as context.log in node.js

In a function written in node.js, console.log should log to the error log/console just as context.log does.

It would allow using the same debug in code that is been run both in standalone node.js and in function node.js. It is painful to have to alter the calls when moving code between the environments.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Should support trigger for Azure Files

This would make hybrid integration scenarios for customers with no IT trivial, anybody can drop a file in a share.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Golang support for Azure Functions

C# and other environments are already supported; it would be nice if Go / Golang was one of them. I'd love to handle web requests using Golang + Azure Functions.

It could provide the "HTTP Requests" via the stdin, while the "HTTP Response" can be given via the stdout. (or whatever those two are called on Windows ;-) )

194 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  24 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base