Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. What is the timeline for supporting the new Azure SDKs?

I really want to get rid of the connection strings in my functions and I want to be able to switch to the Azure.Identity SDK for auth. I understand that this will be a breaking change, however some communication about the plan would be nice.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Parse and validate "host.json" file during deployment

I'd suggest it would be a better experience to parse the function's "host.json" file during deployment and raise an error if any configuration setting is incorrect. Currently there's no indicator of an incorrect configuration in this file.

I've struggled with a function timing out regardless of the functionTimeout setting, and had to open a support ticket to get assistance of a support engineer to review the function's logs just to discover I've included an extra pair of double quotes. This would not show in the portal nor in the application insights service attached to the function. Instead of getting an…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use GPU in azure function

How to use GPU in azure function.
    I've one external exe and I want to use GPU in that exe. How to use GPU enabled functions.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Improve Error Messaging for Function App Deployment (App Settings)

When deploying a function app to Azure Government, provide more specific error messaging when appsettings values are incompatible or otherwise contain errors.

When updating settings, the only error message a user will receive from Set-AzWebApp seems to be the 400 Bad Request, and from the portal, the "(InternalServerError) from host runtime.

This makes debugging deployments very difficult.

The same idea could likely feed back to commercial deployments, too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Reduce the price of Premium instances

I could run a VM that costs me much less for the same configuration. To me, the price for pre-warmed instances seems too high.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add possibility to dynamically set queueName in @QueueTrigger for Spring.

It would be great to set queueName parameter in @QueueTrigger annotation dynamically by value from e.g. application.properties in Spring Cloud Function project. In current solution queueName must by constant so it means that this is hardcoded. This is bad when we would like to have our Function App in different environments or we would like to have all necessary configuration for whole Spring project in one place to change this easily. Sometimes annotations have special parameter where you can put string in the same format as in @Value annotation e.g. "${key.from.application.properties}" like fixedDelayString in @Scheduled. It would be great to…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Do not execute Timer Trigger in Azure Functions Deployment Slots (other than production)

Currently Timer Trigger still execute in Deployment Slots, which renders them useless for any Functions containing Timer Triggers, because you will then have two running instances.

As I understood the slots, their intention is to make the deployment as seemless as possible. So if I have to stop the slot auto-manually (CI/CD) after the swap, I might stop a running function in the middle of something. If I dont, I will have effectively two running instances of the same Azure Functions, doing everything twice.

So could it be possible to have Timer Triggers not be exectuted when the Function runs…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support for private end point enabled sql seever.

It looks like the premium plan also don't support private end point enabled SQL server with Azure function. It should be enabled to use any PaaS resource under firewall and private enabled endpoint

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Support user assigned managed identities in keyvault references

Keyvault references support system assigned managed identities. However in a lot of applications you might need to create your own managed identity since the system assigned ones get destroyed when the resource is deleted (upgrading to a new plan would be an example of when an azure function needs to be destroyed and recreated).

Every time this happens you need to re-assign permissions, then wait for replication which takes time. Please consider supporting user assigned managed identities in keyvault references.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Visual Studio should warn that Functions developed in-portal will be overwritten

As the title states: Visual Studio should warn that Functions developed in-portal will be overwritten.

The design behaviour of Visual Studio deployments is to overwrite the whole app. This can be a problem for customers who have developed their Functions via the in-portal editor, and were not expecting them to be entirely overwritten.

I would think that we could detect this scenario and throw a warning screen before deploying.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow exploring functions across function apps in Azure Portal

We have several functions and function apps. The only reason we have separate function apps is that their deployments and host.jsons are different. All functions (even though they reside in different apps) are related to the same business cases. Allow exploring all functions within a resource group in a single search view.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Templates for dps and iot hub device management using service principal based rest or sdk will speed up iot development and azure adoption

Templates for DPS and IoT hub device management using service principal based rest or SDK will speed up IoT development and azure adoption for customers who would like to go for custom development with a cheaper cost.

In the long run, customers will use more services as part of their architecture where azure get benefited
    Customers get benefited with cheaper running and development cost

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. ฉันอยากทราบรายละเอียด

ฉันอยากทราบรายละเอียดว่าข้อมูลฉันเป็นส่วนตัวไหม

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Proxies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. IAsyncEnumerable support in Azure Functions V3

Hi!

In order to return data in a stream and being more memory friendly it would be fantastic if the AF could support IAsyncEnumerable<T> return. Example:

[FunctionName(&quot;Function1&quot;)]

public static async IAsyncEnumerable&lt;int&gt; Run(
    [HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Anonymous, &quot;get&quot;, &quot;post&quot;, Route = null)] HttpRequest req,
    ILogger log)
    {
    log.LogInformation(&quot;C# HTTP trigger function processed a request.&quot;);

for (var i = 0; i &lt; 10; i++)
    {
    yield return i;
    }
    }

Thanks

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Use of TelemetryClient and Telemetry Configuration is not clear

.NET developers who are new to Azure Functions would like to be able to quickly and easily find documentation that provides guidance for integrating Azure Functions with Application Insights for log statements and custom telemetry.

Although there are a couple pages (1: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-monitoring?tabs=cmd#enable-application-insights-integration , 2: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-dotnet-dependency-injection#logging-services ) that indicate how to configure Application Insights for Azure Functions, they are not very easy to find.

It would be beneficial to have official documentation that succinctly describes how to enable Application Insights for Azure Functions.

1) This should be a distinct page with a navigation pane.

2) Include/reference existing documentation for how…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Project Version Display in Portal

It would be helpful if the Portal displayed the currently deployed function DLL version for easy IT reference. We deploy our Functions through our IT team via the Zip Deploy process in all UAT and Production environments and it would be great if they could easily confirm that the currently deployed/running version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Java 11

Right now the Java Function App in both version ~2 and ~3 is limited to JDK 8. It would be great to have support for JDK 11.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Update Azure Functions sandbox to include Visual FoxPro OLE DB provider

Hi guys

Trying a real blending of old Microsoft and new Microsoft and have encountered a a problem!

I'm trying to read a Visual FoxPro DB from within an Azure Function, but unfortunately the Visual FoxPro OLE DB driver is not installed on function machines.

The driver is available from Microsoft here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14839.

It should be as simple as to copy the vfpoledb.dll file into the D:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\Ole DB\ directory along with the other OLE DB drivers that are currently included. I have tried to do this myself through the Kudu console but don't have permissions…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make it possible to restrict the used storage account to a virtual network

Make it possible to restrict the used storage account to a virtual network. Some customers, especially in the finance industry, have the requirement to secure and protect any storage account. So it is mandatory for them to also limit access of the storage accounts used for Azure Functions.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Julia lang support for Azure Functions

With Julia lang reaching v1.0 last year, it is emerging as a force in machine learning and other scientific computing applications,

https://juliacomputing.com/case-studies/

In particular, BlackRock's Aladdin, Conning Asset Management, and Aviva are all using Julia for financial risk modeling and I see a great opportunity for Julia to impact finance among other things. I'd love to be able to use Julia in Azure Functions for my fintech startup.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  5 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base