Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. C# Azure Event Grid Template

Make a template for Azure Event Grid for C# to get parity with JavaScript, TypeScript, Python, PowerShell, ...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow running for greater than 10 minutes on a Consumption plan

The current limit of 10 minutes is not viable for some processing scenarios we have. We cannot use Durable Functions to solve our processing needs either. We simply need more time. Let us configure a longer timeout than 10 minutes and pay you for the run time. :)

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Combine ServiceBus Queue message with Storage input binding

I would like to be able to combine the ServiceBus trigger with an azure storage input binding like so :
    [ServiceBusTrigger("queue-name")] string message,
    [Blob("container/{serviceBusTrigger}", FileAccess.Read)] Stream blob,
    messageCollector,
    ILogger log)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I found a bug on Function App Configuration Page

I found a bug in Function Apps configuration page on Azure portal.
    There is a spelling mistake of "Capture".
    Please find attached screenshot for the same.

Note - I found this on 10-April-19 and asked one of your customer support on chat where to report this, he suggested me to send this on AzurePortalChat@microsoft.com . Later when I didn't get response even after reporting this I sent a reminder for update, then one of the Customer support replied saying this is unmonitored inbox.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. ip restriction

IP Restrictions is not available for Linux Functions

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. C# vs csx

In the documentation, for clarity reasons, when describing csx files, indicate CSX and not C# in the title bar like in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-reference-csharp;

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Does Continuous Deployment stiil needs Functions Pack (NodeJS)?

I am deploying my Azure Functions by Github, but some documents told me that I should use Functions Pack to avoid cold start problem, especially when I have many npm dependencies. I did not find an answer related to this issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Signal-R Binding with Azure Functions

Azure Functions should support SignalR.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add NodeJS 10.15.X to the list of available runtime versions

Currently the latest LTS version of NodeJS is 10.15, and this is not available in Azure functions runtimes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. consumption plan china

Currently Azure Function Apps cannot be hosted on a Consumption Plan if the target Cloud is China.

See: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/appserviceteam/2018/03/28/announcing-the-availability-of-azure-functions-in-national-clouds/

We would like to have the capability to use the Consumption Plan also on this Azure Region.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Code-To-Function - Specify git location for the function code.

Code-To-Function is idea similar to the Code-To-Container when where Azure function has only pointer to the function code git location.

Additional features could -"well known branches" where master is associated with prod and trunk with pre-prod deployment slots.

The failure of the exxecutin would configurably create an issue in the Git

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. marketplace

Azure Functions should have a Marketplace to quickly launch serverless apps like

url shortners, redirection apps, Scheduled DB sync apps, simple umbraco like cms, PWA templates etc

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Functions with CosmosDB binding and Preferred Location configuration

If you configure binding with CosmosDB, you cannot configure Preferred location to optimize traffic to respect regions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support Linux + Python support for Azure functions

Please support python based Azure functions that run in a Linux Docker container.

Linux Docker containers are already supported so we are half of the way there and Python is working/supported on windows preview.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-create-function-linux-custom-image

Currently if you try to create a simple python based Azure function on Linux preview you get the error: HttpTriggerPy1: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The use case here is being able to run "enterprise" python 2 environments with hard dependencies on Linux. I can verify python runs correctly and can send an example Dockerfile if needed.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Running Python Functions in a Linux-based container is already supported today. More info here – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-create-function-linux-custom-image

However, if you’re trying to run Python 2, extending the default image will not work since the language worker only supports 3.6.x or later. Instead, you’ll need to write your own language worker for the required version.

16. Allow websockets ( SignalR ) feature in azure serverless using Functions

Currently Websockets ( SignalR ) like continuous stream feature is not possible with Azure server less, please add this feature so we can make more use of azure functions.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Ability to deploy Azure Function App image from Azure Container Registry using azure-cli

Cross posted from: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/903958-azure-container-registry/suggestions/32988787-ability-to-deploy-azure-function-app-image-from-az

by: https://feedback.azure.com/users/742095274-yutaka-takeda

I wanted to deploy an Azure Function App with a docker image stored on Azure Container Registry, or ACR using azure-cli, but I noticed that the CLI command ($ az functionapp create) has an option, --deployment-container-image-name which appeared to only work for Docker Hub.

Since Azure Portal (UI) allows us to pull image from ACR, it would be great if we could deploy the image from ACR using the CLI.

Also, az function create command (azure-cli v2.0.20) did not have the option flag, --deplyment-container-image-name, or -i. I had to upgrade it to v2.0.23 to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To configure ACR, you will need to use “az webapp config container set” (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cli/azure/webapp/config/container?view=azure-cli-latest#az-webapp-config-container-set) command and specify the url, username, password of your container. Here is a tutorial to know the exact syntax of these parameters https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/containers/tutorial-custom-docker-image#use-a-docker-image-from-any-private-registry-optional

18. allow function to specified as a value on the exports, not exports directly

Currently, for JS functions, you must assign the function to exports which is of course allowed in node, but is becoming less standard. Allowing a function specification e.g. myfunction that is a key inside an object assigned to exports would be helpful especially with some transpiled languages.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Configurable TimeTrigger schedule for precompiled C# functions (without recompiling & redeploying)

With a precompiled C# function with a TimerTrigger, it's currently not possible to change the schedule at runtime. I tried editing function.json, restarting the Azure Functions app, but the schedule in precompiled C# is still applied.

The only solution I found was to redeploy the application. This should not require a redeployment, there are many use cases where the schedule and frequency of execution should be configurable and change over time for various reasons.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

This is possible today. If your trigger references an environment variable, you can change the schedule without compilation.

For instance, [TimerTrigger(“%MY_SCHEDULE%”)] where MY_SCHEDULE can be an app setting that contains your CRON expression. We resolve that app setting at runtime, so whenever you change the app setting, your function app will restart and the new schedule will be used.

-Colby

20. Manage Function using the Azure REST API

We would like to manage our Azure Functions environments and the individual functions programmatically. The Azure Functions REST API documentation does not list any support for Azure Functions:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/

Task we would like to perform programmatically include:
    * List existing functions
    * Create a new function
    * Edit an existing function
    * Delete functions

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is available now

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/appservice/webapps/listfunctions
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/appservice/WebApps/CreateFunction
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/appservice/webapps/getfunction
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/appservice/webapps/deletefunction

The “edit an existing function” request is far too complicated to be a single rest API call, but can be accomplished through a wide range of CI/CD solutions, which can be configured through the Azure rest API.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Alex

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base