Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Julia lang support for Azure Functions

With Julia lang reaching v1.0 last year, it is emerging as a force in machine learning and other scientific computing applications,

https://juliacomputing.com/case-studies/

In particular, BlackRock's Aladdin, Conning Asset Management, and Aviva are all using Julia for financial risk modeling and I see a great opportunity for Julia to impact finance among other things. I'd love to be able to use Julia in Azure Functions for my fintech startup.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

unplanned  ·  2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable triggering of Azure functions based on an event in RabbitMQ

Hello, we are having a scenario where we should be able to trigger a function when a message is added to RabbitMQ. This would be really helpful in using Azure functions to integrate with other Message queuing platforms that support AMQP protocol.

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Profiler support for .Net Core Azure Functions

I would like to be able to profile a .Net Core Azure Function such that I can see a breakdown of how long each method invocation takes within the call stack so I can optimise any bottlenecks.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please support calls to System.Drawing.Bitmap ?

Hello Team,
    Azure function v2 engine does not support calls to System.Drawing.Bitmap class. I understand that this limitation has been documented under https://github.com/projectkudu/kudu/wiki/Azure-Web-App-sandbox

I find System.Drawing.Bitmap very useful when it comes to reading image files. Our current product (on .NET Framework) relies on System.Drawing for image processing and works very well. However we are unable to port to Azure because of the sandbox restrictions.

I request the team to consider this support in future versions of the runtime.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add C++ support for Azure Functions

Allow C++ binaries to contains Azure Functions. It could be done by invoking the main in an executable, or a DLL with a specific export method with predefined signature.

C++ allows to control memory usage and allow users to be incredibly fast when used properly. In an environment where scaling is needed, squeezing a few seconds of CPU or lowering a few KB of RAM can translate to hundreds or thousands of dollars in savings.

If memory leaks are a concern, putting aside the fact that C# code can also leak, you could create fail safes for Azure Functions. A…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support custom containers in a consumption plan

My use case is that we need to generate licenses on the fly via an external web app. Currently, we are generating licenses ahead of time by using Selenium to navigate the external app. We would like to just So basically, whenever we need a new license, we would like to just spin up a new container, run the Selenium script and then shutdown the container.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Timer Trigger CRON interpreted per WEBSITE_TIME_ZONE for Linux Service Plans

I'd like timerTrigger and WEBSITE_TIME_ZONE app setting to work on Function Apps hosted on Linux Service Plans as described in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-timer#ncrontab-time-zones

I've set WEBSITE_TIME_ZONE app setting to "Eastern Standard Time"; however, it continues to interpret CRON expression as UTC, even after restart of Function App. I expect this works fine on Windows based Service Plans; however, this does not seem to be working on Linux based plans.

See attached pics. CRON is "schedule": "0 30 15 * * 1-5", but triggers at 11:30am EST.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add support for calling unmanaged Win32 DLLs

There are many, many legacy system DLLs out there and many would benefit from a migration to Azure Functions. Perhaps add a DLL Importer and read the exported methods and automatically map to explicit Functions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Manage Function Proxies using the Azure REST API

Similar to how functions work, it would be useful if we can programmatically manage Proxies within Functions using the Azure REST API.

https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{subscriptionId}/resourceGroups/{resourceGroupName}/providers/Microsoft.Web/sites/{name}/proxies

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Enable hosting functions programmatically in .NET Core

ASP.NET Core Web APIs can be easily hosted programmatically by using TestServer or IWebHost.Run(). It seems though that for functions the only way is to use func CLI via System.Diagnostics.Process (see https://blog.kloud.com.au/2018/11/08/integration-testing-precompiled-v2-azure-functions/).

Please enable hosting functions programmatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Move from Python 3.6 to Python 3.7 for Azure Functions v2

On python.org, the release notes for the latest 3.6.8 release state:

Python 3.6.8 is planned to be the last bugfix release for 3.6.x. Following the release of 3.6.8, we plan to provide security fixes for Python 3.6 as needed through 2021, five years following its initial release.

It seems weird to choose a Python version branch for Azure Functions that will not receive any more bugfix releases ever.

Can the Python version be bumped to 3.7 to fix that?

Thanks,

Tobias Weisserth

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. We’re currently working on building support for the advanced features introduced in Python version 3.7 (e.g. enabling you to leverage data classes for triggers and bindings).

We plan to release this soon after the GA milestone.

12. azure cli from azure functions

I would like to run az cli from azure fuction.

it will help me to manage my Azure environment.

So far azure cli is not able from azure function. I'm getting:
    2019-05-13T13:19:33.237 [Error] ERROR: The term 'az' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Script.Rpc.RpcException : Result: ERROR: The term 'az' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

triaged  ·  1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow service bus trigger queue name to come from application environment

The queue name to trigger off of is hardcoded in the function.json file. However, it would be extremely useful if this string could also be interpreted as the name of an environment variable in the application settings.

When using terraform (for example) to construct multiple environments, the queue name is different for each, and is not known until the cloud resources are instantiated. This requires a deployment package per environment that hardcodes the queue name, and requires an extra deployment step after the terraform apply.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. python support for durable function

As far as I can see durable function is supported only for C#. It would be nice to have a python based azure function orchestrator.

Or is there a way to orchestrate python based Azure function using C# durable function or is this a stupid question :P

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Event Domain or Event Grid output binding

Add Event Domain or Event Grid output bindings to azure functions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. local settings json

Add the ability to create a template local.settings.json file in the dev tooling for VSCode and Visual Studio. Since local.settings is git-ignored by default, when a developer clones down a repo they often have to re-create a local.settings.json file. To do this it involves simply creating a bare json file and hand-coding the right schema/values. It would improve developer productivity to add a "New local settings file..." option to the dev tooling which creates the same skeleton file a dev is given in a new function project.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. openId connect plugin / guidance

In MVC, we have Microsoft OpenId Connect / Owin to secure the application using Hybrid flow with a Single Page Application on the front end.

The request is to have capabilities to move from MVC SPA (self hosted VM) to Serverless (Azure blob + Azure function as backend) to do Hybrid flow authentication.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ASP.NET Core MVC/Web API support

Enable developers to create serverless applications using the ASP.NET Core Web API framework.

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Provide memory usage data in context object

It would be great if we could manage memory in realtime in our code. Please provide a method to check memory usage in the context object so that we can take mitigating steps in our code if there is not enough memory.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow moving Function from Consumption to Service Plan

Currently if you deploy your function on a consumption plan there is no way to move it to an existing Service Plan like any other App Service.
    You would need to delete the existing one and redeploy it..

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Quick update here – with the announcement of the premium plan we do support moving from consumption to a premium plan. Today this may not work for all consumption apps in a region only because some consumption apps may exist in a “webspace” that doesn’t yet have premium turned on. That said we have CLI commands rolling out in the next few weeks to make this seamless.

Moving to app service plan is a bit trickier as the actual code often lives in a different place on an app service plan (app service local storage) than where consumption needs them (azure storage files) – so moving may not work and currently don’t have any immediate plans to do like “code migration” in addition to changing plans.

You can see a sample of moving plans between apps in this sample here as well: https://github.com/Azure-Samples/functions-csharp-premium-scaler

-
    Jeff

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Feedback and Knowledge Base