Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Julia lang support for Azure Functions

With Julia lang reaching v1.0 last year, it is emerging as a force in machine learning and other scientific computing applications,

https://juliacomputing.com/case-studies/

In particular, BlackRock's Aladdin, Conning Asset Management, and Aviva are all using Julia for financial risk modeling and I see a great opportunity for Julia to impact finance among other things. I'd love to be able to use Julia in Azure Functions for my fintech startup.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

unplanned  ·  2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for native Rust Azure Functions

As of February 2019, Azure Functions support native .NET, JavaScript and Python.

Could we please have native support to run Azure Functions written in Rust? To host Rust functions currently we have to pay for a Linux App Service plan and embed our functions within a Docker container. This is expensive just to run a few microservices written in Rust.

Peter Huene has an excellent project for anyone interest in writing Azure Functions in Rust....

https://github.com/peterhuene/azure-functions-rs

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable triggering of Azure functions based on an event in RabbitMQ

Hello, we are having a scenario where we should be able to trigger a function when a message is added to RabbitMQ. This would be really helpful in using Azure functions to integrate with other Message queuing platforms that support AMQP protocol.

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. OpenAPI from function app v2

Function App v1. could create an OpenAPI (swagger) file. After the change to v2. in the portal creating an OpenAPI file is "not supportet".

Please reinstate this feature

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Profiler support for .Net Core Azure Functions

I would like to be able to profile a .Net Core Azure Function such that I can see a breakdown of how long each method invocation takes within the call stack so I can optimise any bottlenecks.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Access the management console for Azure Functions in an App Service Environment deployed via ILB

As it stands, Azure Functions and Web Jobs deployed in an intranet-based App Service Environment cannot be managed via the Azure portal unless the user is connected to the internal network or VPN. It appears that the advanced management console code is deployed into the App Service Environment for these services,, as the SCM host name is provisioned on the custom domain. This makes remote management difficult especially for enterprise customers.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Proxies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please support calls to System.Drawing.Bitmap ?

Hello Team,
    Azure function v2 engine does not support calls to System.Drawing.Bitmap class. I understand that this limitation has been documented under https://github.com/projectkudu/kudu/wiki/Azure-Web-App-sandbox

I find System.Drawing.Bitmap very useful when it comes to reading image files. Our current product (on .NET Framework) relies on System.Drawing for image processing and works very well. However we are unable to port to Azure because of the sandbox restrictions.

I request the team to consider this support in future versions of the runtime.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support for Azure Managed Service Identities in EventHub (and other) triggers

In Event Hub, I can add my Function App's MSI as a data reader, but in the function I cannot use trigger bindings to read from the queue without using a SecureAccess Key. We are trying to go password free wherever possible, and Azure has been promoting this course of action, so why do we need secret keys for reading from the queue? It then forces us to create and share a secret key for partner teams to read from our queue, rather than just permissioning them in Event Hub.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add C++ support for Azure Functions

Allow C++ binaries to contains Azure Functions. It could be done by invoking the main in an executable, or a DLL with a specific export method with predefined signature.

C++ allows to control memory usage and allow users to be incredibly fast when used properly. In an environment where scaling is needed, squeezing a few seconds of CPU or lowering a few KB of RAM can translate to hundreds or thousands of dollars in savings.

If memory leaks are a concern, putting aside the fact that C# code can also leak, you could create fail safes for Azure Functions. A…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Display functions in an Function App in alphabetical order

In the portal, when looking at the list of functions in a function app, sort them by name.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Connecting to PostgreSQL Database hosted in Azure (Linux + Python)

Azure Functions Bindings works with Azure Cosmo DB, but as of now there is no way to create a Function that writes to a PostgreSQL db stored in Azure. Locally, I can just use Psycopg2 in Python to connect, but this isn't possible without creating a custom container with libpq-dev (for pg_config).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support custom containers in a consumption plan

My use case is that we need to generate licenses on the fly via an external web app. Currently, we are generating licenses ahead of time by using Selenium to navigate the external app. We would like to just So basically, whenever we need a new license, we would like to just spin up a new container, run the Selenium script and then shutdown the container.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Timer Trigger CRON interpreted per WEBSITE_TIME_ZONE for Linux Service Plans

I'd like timerTrigger and WEBSITE_TIME_ZONE app setting to work on Function Apps hosted on Linux Service Plans as described in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-timer#ncrontab-time-zones

I've set WEBSITE_TIME_ZONE app setting to "Eastern Standard Time"; however, it continues to interpret CRON expression as UTC, even after restart of Function App. I expect this works fine on Windows based Service Plans; however, this does not seem to be working on Linux based plans.

See attached pics. CRON is "schedule": "0 30 15 * * 1-5", but triggers at 11:30am EST.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add publish settings option for deploy

When deploying Azure Funciton to different environments, the app settings may be various. For example, appsettings.dev.json for development environment and appsettings.prod.json for production environment. Would it be possible to add an option to determine which appsetting to use to deploy?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Address Azure Functions Resiliency Weakness to Azure Service DNS issues

Azure DNS issue R50C-5RZ caused multiple core Azure function triggers to fail across our subscriptions due to loss of access to Storage Accounts.

The DNS issue made all our storage accounts temporarily unresolvable by DNS and because of the tight coupling with Azure functions, function triggers failed due to the inability to resolve storage account urls but did not recover when the DNS issue was corrected.

There were some Socketexception / 'remote host not found' errors logged in App insights but seemed to be no way to know that the trigger was in a failed state (unless a build up…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is an awesome idea!
    We’re very unlikely to be able to reduce our dependency on DNS, but we can generally handle failing triggers more gracefully.

“Handle temporary loss of a storage account without requiring a manual restart” is a scenario we’re targeting.

Keep the feedback coming!
    Alex

16. Add error for missing application setting

Function apps do not show an error when you try to reference an application setting that is not there (or variable misspelled), it returns an empty string. This can lead to local testing functioning properly because the local.settings.json is complete, and then unclear breakages once published to Azure, especially if you are passing that setting on to an API that doesn't have verbose error output.

At the very least the app should output a warning that it is returning an empty string because application setting X does not exist.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Do not set WEBSITE_CONTENTSHARE in marketplace, GitHub, and auto-generated ARM templates

At the moment WEBSITE_CONTENTSHARE is set automatically on ARM templates for functions produced by the Azure Marketplace and also by templates exported via the "Export Template" function.

According to support case 119071321000245 it is not best practice to set this setting and setting it (either as a slot setting or a global setting) can have unforeseen effects.

Please refer to the support case for the detail and adjust documentation and sample templates accordingly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Display next run time for Timer Trigger Functions

quite simple really, it would be nice to have the next 5 run times for a timer function in the Azure Portal.

Under the Integrate section would probably make the most sense as that is where the schedule is stored.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add support for calling unmanaged Win32 DLLs

There are many, many legacy system DLLs out there and many would benefit from a migration to Azure Functions. Perhaps add a DLL Importer and read the exported methods and automatically map to explicit Functions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Manage Function Proxies using the Azure REST API

Similar to how functions work, it would be useful if we can programmatically manage Proxies within Functions using the Azure REST API.

https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{subscriptionId}/resourceGroups/{resourceGroupName}/providers/Microsoft.Web/sites/{name}/proxies

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Feedback and Knowledge Base