Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for native Rust Azure Functions

As of February 2019, Azure Functions support native .NET, JavaScript and Python.

Could we please have native support to run Azure Functions written in Rust? To host Rust functions currently we have to pay for a Linux App Service plan and embed our functions within a Docker container. This is expensive just to run a few microservices written in Rust.

Peter Huene has an excellent project for anyone interest in writing Azure Functions in Rust....

https://github.com/peterhuene/azure-functions-rs

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Julia lang support for Azure Functions

With Julia lang reaching v1.0 last year, it is emerging as a force in machine learning and other scientific computing applications,

https://juliacomputing.com/case-studies/

In particular, BlackRock's Aladdin, Conning Asset Management, and Aviva are all using Julia for financial risk modeling and I see a great opportunity for Julia to impact finance among other things. I'd love to be able to use Julia in Azure Functions for my fintech startup.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support .Net Core 3 Run time and NetStandard 2.1 function assemblies

Add support for functions implemented in .Net core assemblies compiled against NetStandard 2.1 running on the .net core 3.0 run time.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for Azure Managed Service Identities in EventHub (and other) triggers

In Event Hub, I can add my Function App's MSI as a data reader, but in the function I cannot use trigger bindings to read from the queue without using a SecureAccess Key. We are trying to go password free wherever possible, and Azure has been promoting this course of action, so why do we need secret keys for reading from the queue? It then forces us to create and share a secret key for partner teams to read from our queue, rather than just permissioning them in Event Hub.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Key Vault references to access secrets behind Key Vault Firewall

Key Vault references cannot currently be used to access secrets in a vault that has been configured with Key Vault Firewall / service endpoints.

It should be possible to resolve secrets from Vaults configured this way (provided the web app / function app is configured with the right VNET integration).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable triggering of Azure functions based on an event in RabbitMQ

Hello, we are having a scenario where we should be able to trigger a function when a message is added to RabbitMQ. This would be really helpful in using Azure functions to integrate with other Message queuing platforms that support AMQP protocol.

94 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We just shipped a preview of this functionality today you can try out. In the coming weeks we will enable support to trigger within the Azure Functions Premium plan to receive serverless scale and a function plan to RabbitMQ endpoints within a private network. Please provide feedback and let us know if this meets needs as expected. Details can be found here:

https://dev.to/azure/announcing-the-rabbitmq-extension-for-azure-functions-2mbo

7. Please eliminate sandbox restrictions while running in Docker

Right now the sandbox applies to azure function apps even when they're running in docker. Docker is the sandbox in that case. Further, things like System.Drawing.Common aren't effected on Linux the same as they are on Windows so there should be no issue requiring the sandbox to interfere.

So Azure Functions should disable the sand-boxing when running in docker entirely.

Failing that, it should disable the System.Drawing.Common limitations if running on Linux.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  1 comment  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Durable Functions - Prioritize activities queue

On my project we tried using durable functions with queue-trigger to process resource-consuming requests at a steady pace instead of being overwhelmed with hundreds of messages arriving at the same time. Fairly basic scenario for queues isn't it?
    But after few weeks of conversations with Azure Support team we ended up with conclusion that it isn't possible to achieve and had to remake project to other technology.

Need to say we had to configure maxConcurrentActivityFunctions setting to limit the load on our SQL DB, so "processing power", available for orchestrators got limited.

This resulted in situation when hundreds of messages…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow running headless Chrome (or other browser) in Function apps or Web apps

Basically it's this:
    https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/gcp/introducing-headless-chrome-support-in-cloud-functions-and-app-engine

Now obviously Google has a bit of an advantage here what with Chrome being their own tech but there are so many blogs out there with people talking about complicated Docker solutions just to run headless Chrome in the cloud.

It would be great if we could get a solution where we could run Puppeteer in much the same way, or allow web apps to run Chrome without having to be inside Docker and we could manage a pool of Chromes without having to manage Docker as well.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Headless Chrome requires some libraries to be installed that aren’t available in the containers we use in Linux consumption. You can, however, run your function app in a Docker container with the libraries installed. Custom containers are currently supported in the Premium and App Service plans. Take a look at this example from a community member of a Dockerfile with the dependencies: https://github.com/estruyf/azure-function-node-puppeteer/blob/master/Dockerfile

- Anthony

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add option to run function app with Package URL with System Assigned Identity

Add support to run the function app using system assigned identity with Package URL where the package exists in storage account. so instead of using SAS, it can use System Assigned identity to run the function from package URL

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Elastic Scale Plan (pre-warmed instances) in Gov Cloud

When auto-scaling the number of instances for a Function, API requests are routed to new instances before they are ready (warmed up) causing failures/timeouts for those requests. In regular cloud, this is solved by using the Elastic Scale consumption plan that lets you specify the number of pre-warmed instances (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-premium-plan#pre-warmed-instances). Please bring this same plan to Gov Cloud.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Change log level without redeploy for packaged apps

Please allow log level to be changed for packaged apps without redeploy.

Here's my use case and I can't believe I am alone in this... I have an app running at log level Information. There is an issue I want to investigate so I want to increase the log level to Debug or Trace. Because my app is packaged (dotnet if that matters) I can't change the log level without redeploy. That means I have to commit a change to my host.json and rerun my build and deployment pipeline. Adn then back that out afterwards. Because of the need to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Dynamically disable Queue Trigger Functions

As of now there is not a good way to dynamically disable a queue triggered function. We have some code running that monitors an endpoint. If that code detects an unhealthy condition, ideally we would like to disable the queue triggered function until the endpoint is ready to accept messages again. I have not seen anywhere to do this outside of manually disabling the function within the portal

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please support calls to System.Drawing.Bitmap ?

Hello Team,
    Azure function v2 engine does not support calls to System.Drawing.Bitmap class. I understand that this limitation has been documented under https://github.com/projectkudu/kudu/wiki/Azure-Web-App-sandbox

I find System.Drawing.Bitmap very useful when it comes to reading image files. Our current product (on .NET Framework) relies on System.Drawing for image processing and works very well. However we are unable to port to Azure because of the sandbox restrictions.

I request the team to consider this support in future versions of the runtime.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix issue where CORS breaks Azure functions

When configuring CORS with multiple/wildcard rules on a storage account any Azure Functions using a storage queue on this account will stop working without any error message.

I was happy that the support team could provide a workaround on this (use only single CORS rule), but it was a waste of time trying to troubleshoot this crazy flaw.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add binding support for Append Blob storage for Python and JavaScript functions

If it is supported, it is not in the documentation. It is documented for C#.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Support for node.js v12, the current Active LTS version

Current Node.js Active LTS is v12, v10 will fall out of Active LTS on 10/30/19 and move to maintenance LTS.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. visual Basic .net 2019 azure

Beispiele für Azure in der Sprache Visual Basic .NET 2019

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)