Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. consumption plan china

Currently Azure Function Apps cannot be hosted on a Consumption Plan if the target Cloud is China.

See: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/appserviceteam/2018/03/28/announcing-the-availability-of-azure-functions-in-national-clouds/

We would like to have the capability to use the Consumption Plan also on this Azure Region.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support to Open Tracing/Zipkin

Opentracing (http://opentracing.io/) is a popular standard for tracing correlated requests across many different services communicating via RPC. It contains implementations on several different platforms and various tools (zipkin being one of the most popular ones). The standard can be easily extended over HTTP using dedicated headers from client/server side. It would be great if Azure functions would be able to provide more or less transparent support for it.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are currently working on supporting a suite of Azure based distributed tracing solutions. We have no current plans to support this tool, but would love to hear from the community, and are leaving this item open to collect feedback :)

Thanks!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

3. Blob trigger support with Service Principle/Managed identity

We are trying to setup a Blob Triggered Function, but we have a limitation to use only Service principal/managed identity to access the storage because of the security concerns in directly using access keys.

We did not find a way to by-pass blob trigger to using connection string.

Theoretically, since Blob Storage is integrated with Azure Active Directory, it should be possible to provide the right RBAC permissions on my Blob Containers so that the Function's identity (Managed Service Identity)/Service principle has whatever permissions are necessary to create the trigger and read from the blobs.

We are expecting azure functions…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Manage Function Proxies using the Azure REST API

Similar to how functions work, it would be useful if we can programmatically manage Proxies within Functions using the Azure REST API.

https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{subscriptionId}/resourceGroups/{resourceGroupName}/providers/Microsoft.Web/sites/{name}/proxies

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. IAsyncEnumerable support in Azure Functions V3

Hi!

In order to return data in a stream and being more memory friendly it would be fantastic if the AF could support IAsyncEnumerable<T> return. Example:

[FunctionName(&quot;Function1&quot;)]

public static async IAsyncEnumerable&lt;int&gt; Run(
    [HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Anonymous, &quot;get&quot;, &quot;post&quot;, Route = null)] HttpRequest req,
    ILogger log)
    {
    log.LogInformation(&quot;C# HTTP trigger function processed a request.&quot;);

for (var i = 0; i &lt; 10; i++)
    {
    yield return i;
    }
    }

Thanks

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please support calls to System.Drawing.Bitmap ?

Hello Team,
    Azure function v2 engine does not support calls to System.Drawing.Bitmap class. I understand that this limitation has been documented under https://github.com/projectkudu/kudu/wiki/Azure-Web-App-sandbox

I find System.Drawing.Bitmap very useful when it comes to reading image files. Our current product (on .NET Framework) relies on System.Drawing for image processing and works very well. However we are unable to port to Azure because of the sandbox restrictions.

I request the team to consider this support in future versions of the runtime.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Scala support for Azure Functions

The Java worker for Functions allows Scala to be exectured in Functions relatively easily. It would be great to see Microsoft support Scala as they do Java with MSFT endorced build and deploy practices.

See post here seeing how easy it is to deploy manually https://monteledwards.com/2018/10/07/deploying-scala-code-on-azure-functions/

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Device Twin Trigger from IoT Hub

Add a trigger when a chance occurs in the IoT Hub device twin

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Support for blob trigger on entire storage account

Microsoft’s mobile services are designed to place blobs that are pushed in from mobile clients into many containers - a separate container for each entity that the files are associated with. Microsoft’s solution for sourcing events from blob operations is not compatible with this, as the existing blob trigger required you to know the name of the container at setup/binding time. It would be useful to have a blob trigger that can monitor an entire storage account.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Changing this and clarifying. You can do this today with the Event Grid trigger (e.g. create an event grid trigger and then add subscriptions for each container in a storage account – or many storage accounts – and point to same function). That’s the way that works today and is planned to be the solution for this short term. However leaving this open as I think it was more general to have the Blob and not the Event Grid trigger do this. Keep the votes coming and comment on if Event Grid may not be enough.

-
    Jeff

10. Quartz Timer Feature

Please enhance Azure Functions or Azure in general that exposes an API against which we can post quartz like timer jobs.

Would be great to set a timer in Azure that can eventually trigger an Azure Function when executing.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Modify Azure SDKs so they manage connection pooling by default

Modify Azure SDKs so that they manage connection pooling out of the box. The SDK should have the ability to manage connections by default, rather than have developers manage this. This further allows developers to focus on their code instead of configuration.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add support for Python 3.8

Python 3.8.1+ is now available - https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.8.html

Python 3.8 Release Schedule PEP: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0569/

Can Python please be bumped in Azure Functions v3+?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Support for "delete" DocumentDB Change Feed Trigger

Currently there is support for DocumentDB Change Feeds which only trigger for Insert and Update changes, however there is no way of picking up Delete changes to a collection

My use case has a real-time web application which relies on these change triggers to update the User Interface through Web Sockets that a change to a document/collection has taken place, at the moment I am having to implement this manually through a delete API call but that does not solve the problem if a document is manually deleted at source (for example).

A Delete of a document (IMHumbleO) is as…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support health checks from Microsoft.Extensions.Diagnostics.HealthChecks

Now that we can configure functions using FunctionsStartup, it would be cool to be able to add health checks too. By installing the Microsoft.Extensions.Diagnostics.HealthChecks package, I can get health checks code to compile:

builder.Services.AddHealthChecks().AddCheck("test", x =>
    {

return new HealthCheckResult(HealthStatus.Healthy);

});

But the health check is never executed, why I believe something needs to be done to support health checks in functions.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. python support for durable function

As far as I can see durable function is supported only for C#. It would be nice to have a python based azure function orchestrator.

Or is there a way to orchestrate python based Azure function using C# durable function or is this a stupid question :P

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Provide memory usage data in context object

It would be great if we could manage memory in realtime in our code. Please provide a method to check memory usage in the context object so that we can take mitigating steps in our code if there is not enough memory.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. local settings json

Add the ability to create a template local.settings.json file in the dev tooling for VSCode and Visual Studio. Since local.settings is git-ignored by default, when a developer clones down a repo they often have to re-create a local.settings.json file. To do this it involves simply creating a bare json file and hand-coding the right schema/values. It would improve developer productivity to add a "New local settings file..." option to the dev tooling which creates the same skeleton file a dev is given in a new function project.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Azure auth populate request.user

When using the azure auth over functions, specifically those that take a http trigger, it would be great if it would populate the request.user in a similar way you can do using node.js and passport (https://github.com/Azure-Samples/active-directory-b2c-javascript-nodejs-webapi/blob/master/index.js) rather than just providing some headers.

This would make it much easier to work with authenticated users and interact with their information

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. better error handling for EventGrid calls that you want to retry

The Microsoft sample documentation (link below) suggests using a Run method with void return type. This doesn't allow convenient handling of errors that you want to handle by getting EventGrid to retry invoking the Azure Function again after a period. For example, my Azure Function sends a message to a server (Azure Container Instance) which may be down. In this situation I want EventGrid to invoke my Azure Function again after a period when the server might be up. However, with a void return type my only option seems to be that of throwing an exception (InvalidOperation?). Agreed, I could…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. consolidate premium and app service plan

the premium plan appears to be app service plan with a limit of instances and a different scaling trigger, There are a number of issue with this, to name a few:

• functions is positioned as a serverless compute offering but the premium plan is clearly not.

• the pricing page is not clear about the significant differences in pricing models

• charging for memory duration when you have paid for underlying compute seems excessive

• no price parity between the plan skus

• causes confusion when trying to select a hosting plan

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories