Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show Function Execute Units in GB/s

Customer would like to check their Function Execute Units in Azure portal.
    We do have this Metric but the unit is MB/s. However, our bililng unit is GB/s.
    Because customer needs to convert it by themselves, our customer feels it's not easy and convenience to check it at the first glance in Azure portal.
    Please help to add this feature to enable our customer to check their usage in GB/s in Azure portal.
    Thank you!

SR#119120223001059

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. IAsyncEnumerable support in Azure Functions V3

Hi!

In order to return data in a stream and being more memory friendly it would be fantastic if the AF could support IAsyncEnumerable<T> return. Example:

[FunctionName(&quot;Function1&quot;)]

public static async IAsyncEnumerable&lt;int&gt; Run(
    [HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Anonymous, &quot;get&quot;, &quot;post&quot;, Route = null)] HttpRequest req,
    ILogger log)
    {
    log.LogInformation(&quot;C# HTTP trigger function processed a request.&quot;);

for (var i = 0; i &lt; 10; i++)
    {
    yield return i;
    }
    }

Thanks

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Support health checks from Microsoft.Extensions.Diagnostics.HealthChecks

Now that we can configure functions using FunctionsStartup, it would be cool to be able to add health checks too. By installing the Microsoft.Extensions.Diagnostics.HealthChecks package, I can get health checks code to compile:

builder.Services.AddHealthChecks().AddCheck("test", x =>
    {

return new HealthCheckResult(HealthStatus.Healthy);

});

But the health check is never executed, why I believe something needs to be done to support health checks in functions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Durable Function Map (like Application Map in AppInsights)

Durable functions monitoring is possible by querying DurableFunctionsHubHistory, but it takes time to interpret it and create meaningful queries.
    It would be great to have visual representation of durable workflows: view all in-progress workflows, where they are and how do they progress execution. Also check history of each workflow instance. Times, spent on each Activity, events workflow was waiting for, durable overhead must be also visible there.
    It would be great to introduce workflow classification (Approval, Declined, Exception ... scenarios) in order to measure metrics among same-class workflow and not to compare times of Success to Exception workflows.
    Overall this…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Durable Functions Workflow fixes support

Workflows on Durable Functions is great until you make some bug in it. And when you do (not "if you do") make a bug, it may result in thousands or even millions of workflows in inappropriate state, or waiting for never-happen events, or just hang in some infinite loop - there are a lot of ways things can go wrong.
    And we need some way to recover the system from those mistakes. Cancellation is one option (AFAIK, it still doesn't support cancelling sub-orchestrators and activities, so not very useful anyway), but workflows sometimes may take days or months to get…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add option to run function app with Package URL with System Assigned Identity

Add support to run the function app using system assigned identity with Package URL where the package exists in storage account. so instead of using SAS, it can use System Assigned identity to run the function from package URL

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add Elastic Scale Plan (pre-warmed instances) in Gov Cloud

When auto-scaling the number of instances for a Function, API requests are routed to new instances before they are ready (warmed up) causing failures/timeouts for those requests. In regular cloud, this is solved by using the Elastic Scale consumption plan that lets you specify the number of pre-warmed instances (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-premium-plan#pre-warmed-instances). Please bring this same plan to Gov Cloud.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Change log level without redeploy for packaged apps

Please allow log level to be changed for packaged apps without redeploy.

Here's my use case and I can't believe I am alone in this... I have an app running at log level Information. There is an issue I want to investigate so I want to increase the log level to Debug or Trace. Because my app is packaged (dotnet if that matters) I can't change the log level without redeploy. That means I have to commit a change to my host.json and rerun my build and deployment pipeline. Adn then back that out afterwards. Because of the need to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Dynamically disable Queue Trigger Functions

As of now there is not a good way to dynamically disable a queue triggered function. We have some code running that monitors an endpoint. If that code detects an unhealthy condition, ideally we would like to disable the queue triggered function until the endpoint is ready to accept messages again. I have not seen anywhere to do this outside of manually disabling the function within the portal

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add support to Circuit breaker pattern

Azure functions should control the way the comunicate with their dependencies and process each request if they have condititions to do that. Same way we define bindings, it could be possible to define circuit breaker strategy to not overload unnecessary process if it is not possible to process requests.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Key Vault references to access secrets behind Key Vault Firewall

Key Vault references cannot currently be used to access secrets in a vault that has been configured with Key Vault Firewall / service endpoints.

It should be possible to resolve secrets from Vaults configured this way (provided the web app / function app is configured with the right VNET integration).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Specify a custom window for platform updates to WebApps, Functions, etc.

I want to be able to request platform upgrades only restart my site within a specific window, say outside of business hours.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is great feedback.
    We strive for platform upgrades to happen transparently to you, however, they will restart every worker for your function app while performing a platform upgrade.

We do not currently have the infrastructure to make this publicly available, but keep the votes coming!

Thanks!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team!

13. Timer Trigger CRON interpreted per WEBSITE_TIME_ZONE for Linux Service Plans

I'd like timerTrigger and WEBSITETIMEZONE app setting to work on Function Apps hosted on Linux Service Plans as described in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-timer#ncrontab-time-zones

I've set WEBSITETIMEZONE app setting to "Eastern Standard Time"; however, it continues to interpret CRON expression as UTC, even after restart of Function App. I expect this works fine on Windows based Service Plans; however, this does not seem to be working on Linux based plans.

See attached pics. CRON is "schedule": "0 30 15 * * 1-5", but triggers at 11:30am EST.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add support for calling unmanaged Win32 DLLs

There are many, many legacy system DLLs out there and many would benefit from a migration to Azure Functions. Perhaps add a DLL Importer and read the exported methods and automatically map to explicit Functions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enable hosting functions programmatically in .NET Core

ASP.NET Core Web APIs can be easily hosted programmatically by using TestServer or IWebHost.Run(). It seems though that for functions the only way is to use func CLI via System.Diagnostics.Process (see https://blog.kloud.com.au/2018/11/08/integration-testing-precompiled-v2-azure-functions/).

Please enable hosting functions programmatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow service bus trigger queue name to come from application environment

The queue name to trigger off of is hardcoded in the function.json file. However, it would be extremely useful if this string could also be interpreted as the name of an environment variable in the application settings.

When using terraform (for example) to construct multiple environments, the queue name is different for each, and is not known until the cloud resources are instantiated. This requires a deployment package per environment that hardcodes the queue name, and requires an extra deployment step after the terraform apply.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. python support for durable function

As far as I can see durable function is supported only for C#. It would be nice to have a python based azure function orchestrator.

Or is there a way to orchestrate python based Azure function using C# durable function or is this a stupid question :P

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add Event Domain or Event Grid output binding

Add Event Domain or Event Grid output bindings to azure functions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add settings to change local logs verbosity/level

When running functions locally, on every call to a function I am bombarded with logs, can we have an options on the cli, or in local.settings.json to change the logs verbosity/level (debug/info/warning/error...) so it will be easier to debug and work with functions?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support custom containers in a consumption plan

My use case is that we need to generate licenses on the fly via an external web app. Currently, we are generating licenses ahead of time by using Selenium to navigate the external app. We would like to just So basically, whenever we need a new license, we would like to just spin up a new container, run the Selenium script and then shutdown the container.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base