Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure Functions?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. EventHub Trigger filtering based on properties

It would be great to be able to provide a filtering expression in the binding of an eventHubTrigger. Using this I could configure my function to only be invoked for certain events that match the filter. For example, I store a property called "eventType" in the application properties of each event. My function is potentially only interested in events of one or more specific types. Currently I code this logic into the function, which works fine. However, it counts as an unnecessary invocation and increases the cost. Ideally the filtering would take place in the host and not incur a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unsure on this one but marking as unplanned. The filtering would also have to happen at the client to preserve ordering. However even if we did the filtering before the execution it’s still consuming compute so I don’t think it makes sense for it to be “free.” Just because the trigger is doing filtering before execution wouldn’t necessarily negate the price aspect. And since filtering often has some custom parsing / decoding / conditions it’s almost better to do it in code.

-
    Jeff

2. Add "Deny" option when Request is not Authenticated

I have a function app set up as a private API that requires users to authenticate via Azure AD B2C to be able to make calls. My mobile app does the auth and then provides the Bearer token in the service calls.
    This all works but if someone happens to browse an endpoint in a browser I don't want them to be redirected to the login page as the API is only meant to be requested from within the mobile app.
    I would like an option to just deny access to the API when a request is not authorised.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. R

Running R data science functions serverless is key for those organisations which have a deep investment in skills and code in this language. Azure ML Workbench has no R support so the only way to run R in Azure is with Spark Data Bricks or use a VM with R server installed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. How to accept connections from local network on Azure Functions (v2)?

I am trying to develop an @AzureFunctions using Xamarin Forms. But it is not accepting connections from the cell phone.
    How to configure host, port of Azure Functions on Visual Studio 2017 to enable connections from * other than localhost connections?
    How to accept connections from local network on Azure Functions (v2) ?
    How to configure Host : Port of Azure Functions on Visual Studio 2017 ?
    I want that it accepts like ASP.Net Core (.UseUrls("http://+:7071")):
    Now listening on: http://[::]:7071
    but it is only listening on
    http://localhost:7071

See
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49267438/how-to-accept-connections-from-local-network-on-azure-functions-v2

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. http trigger for runtime

Hi,

Could you please add HTTP trigger for on premise (runtime) environments?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Specifying a name for a premade function

If no function is present in a Function App, the “getting started” assistant is shown which allows adding a premade function. However, you can’t specify a name for the resulting function there, which is why you’ll end up with insignificant names such as “HTTPTriggerCSharp1” or “HTTPTriggerJS1”. It would be great if the user could optionally specify a function name in this dialog.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Visual Studio Tooling - Javascript Project Template

C# Project Template was recently added for Visual Studio Tooling https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/13301214-visual-studios-tooling-with-local-execution-debug , however this doesn't handle all languages - F#, Javascript/Typescript, etc.

Hoping we can get support added for better deployment capabilities with other languages as well as source code management. Great to see the Azure Function tooling finally make it to RTM for C#!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Scale # of servers in consumption plan based on Service Bus Queue Size

My service bus will spike at the top of each hour with up to 1000+ messages to get processed immediately. It would be nice for the consumption plan to allow us to scale the # of servers to come online to be based on that queue size. Example: for 1000 messages, I would like 10 servers to come online (1 server per 100 in the queue).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Expose StorageClientFactory or QueueProcessorFactory to enable triggering on client-side-encrypted queues

With WebJobs, a custom StorageClientFactory can set an EncryptionPolicy in the DefaultRequestOptions such that encrypted queue messages are transparently decrypted when triggering a WebJob.

Alternatively, the EncryptionPolicy can be set on a queue by queue basis using a custom QueueProcessorFactory.

If these, or a more general way to modify the JobHostConfiguration were provided, then we would be able to store the storage connection string in Azure KeyVault and use client side encryption with Azure Functions apps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 4 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Feedback and Knowledge Base