Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ASP.NET Core MVC/Web API support

Enable developers to create serverless applications using the ASP.NET Core Web API framework.

76 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. local settings json

Add the ability to create a template local.settings.json file in the dev tooling for VSCode and Visual Studio. Since local.settings is git-ignored by default, when a developer clones down a repo they often have to re-create a local.settings.json file. To do this it involves simply creating a bare json file and hand-coding the right schema/values. It would improve developer productivity to add a "New local settings file..." option to the dev tooling which creates the same skeleton file a dev is given in a new function project.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. openId connect plugin / guidance

In MVC, we have Microsoft OpenId Connect / Owin to secure the application using Hybrid flow with a Single Page Application on the front end.

The request is to have capabilities to move from MVC SPA (self hosted VM) to Serverless (Azure blob + Azure function as backend) to do Hybrid flow authentication.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow moving Function from Consumption to Service Plan

Currently if you deploy your function on a consumption plan there is no way to move it to an existing Service Plan like any other App Service.
    You would need to delete the existing one and redeploy it..

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Quick update here – with the announcement of the premium plan we do support moving from consumption to a premium plan. Today this may not work for all consumption apps in a region only because some consumption apps may exist in a “webspace” that doesn’t yet have premium turned on. That said we have CLI commands rolling out in the next few weeks to make this seamless.

Moving to app service plan is a bit trickier as the actual code often lives in a different place on an app service plan (app service local storage) than where consumption needs them (azure storage files) – so moving may not work and currently don’t have any immediate plans to do like “code migration” in addition to changing plans.

You can see a sample of moving plans between apps in this sample here as well: https://github.com/Azure-Samples/functions-csharp-premium-scaler

-
    Jeff

5. Support for "delete" DocumentDB Change Feed Trigger

Currently there is support for DocumentDB Change Feeds which only trigger for Insert and Update changes, however there is no way of picking up Delete changes to a collection

My use case has a real-time web application which relies on these change triggers to update the User Interface through Web Sockets that a change to a document/collection has taken place, at the moment I am having to implement this manually through a delete API call but that does not solve the problem if a document is manually deleted at source (for example).

A Delete of a document (IMHumbleO) is as…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Set environment variable override for AuthorizationLevel.Function key

When running within the Azure Functions Runtime inside of a Docker container, we can't use AuthorizationLevel.Function as there is no way to retrieve the key from the runtime. It'd be great if we could directly set a function key in our compose.yml as an environment variable. For deployment, we just leave the environment variable blank and the App Service can set the keys.

Related SO question:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52174892/how-to-set-authorzationlevel-per-an-environment-condition-when-running-csproj-fu

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Don't 'hardcode' the storage account connection string for the storage account that backs azure functions

Currently each Function App has an application setting string "WEBSITE_CONTENTAZUREFILECONNECTIONSTRING"which is a fixed (=hardcoded) connection string. This breaks when performing key rotation on the connection string and is opaque to diagnose since that setting is automatically setup by the portal UI/wizard.

Can you instead just store the subscription ID and storage account name and then fetch the latest connection string for the storage account using the management API? This will make sure that the function app survives storage account key rotations

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add settings to change local logs verbosity/level

When running functions locally, on every call to a function I am bombarded with logs, can we have an options on the cli, or in local.settings.json to change the logs verbosity/level (debug/info/warning/error...) so it will be easier to debug and work with functions?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. PowerShell cmdlets for Functions

Customer is requesting support in PowerShell to Start and Stop an Azure Function app. For more info, please see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56168831/how-to-stop-start-azure-function-from-powershell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. When publishing through Visual Studio, create the storage account on the same region as the function

I deployed my function through Visual Studio, creating a new one on an existing resource group.

I chose to create a new Storage Account as well.

I chose eastus2 as the region for my function. But after the deployment succeeded, I noticed that the region for the storage I created during the functions deployment was set for Central US.

I'd like the created storage to be on the same region of the function. I double checked and there's no way to select a region for the storage you create in deployment time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Azure Functions Tools fail to start when there is a non american character on the user name (%userprofile% directory)

The network administrator just setup Active Directory integration and my user profile directory was created with non american characters. My name has an accent (^ ê).
    My azure function project stopped working and I found out that the only problem was having an accent in the user profile directory.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Geo-availability integration a la CosmosDB for Consumption Plan

For Functions in a Consumption Plan, it's a bit arduous to get them to be geo-distributed (have to set up deployment to all the various regions you want to support, add APIM/Traffic Manager to handle). It would be _super_ awesome if Functions had a setup like CosmosDB where you deployed them once, then "lit up" the geos you want the code replicated to. Then, not too much different than the request in #214 , an "invisible" Traffic Manager service could be provided on the endpoint for the Function to hit the nearest geo to the end user.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Perl To Base Image

I would like to read metadata with exiftool, but the distributed version that can run on Windows without perl takes ages to start with node's child_process (could be because of Windows Defender?), therefore I have to use Linux. And on Linux, there's no Perl unless I use a custom image, but it's not even supported on a consumption plan. The other FAAS has perl so could we have it here as well please?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add documentation and guidelines to test Java Functions

Currently there are documentation exists on testing java functions. Nice to have a document explaining how to unit test and perform integratioin test on various java functions(bindings)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add ability to restrict deployment from dev environments

I recently created a new function app in our team's tenant to handle some custom monitoring. Now that I'm done prototyping it and have it in a workable state, I've created an Azure DevOps build and release to handle publishing the app.

I need to do this, rather than simply use the CD from git branch option, because I'm using Typescript (currently unsupported), and need to install both node_modules and extensions for the app (because the app won't perform those steps itself based on package.json or extensions.csproj)

While the pipeline now works, I can't find a way to lock down…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. consumption plan china

Currently Azure Function Apps cannot be hosted on a Consumption Plan if the target Cloud is China.

See: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/appserviceteam/2018/03/28/announcing-the-availability-of-azure-functions-in-national-clouds/

We would like to have the capability to use the Consumption Plan also on this Azure Region.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Scala support for Azure Functions

The Java worker for Functions allows Scala to be exectured in Functions relatively easily. It would be great to see Microsoft support Scala as they do Java with MSFT endorced build and deploy practices.

See post here seeing how easy it is to deploy manually https://monteledwards.com/2018/10/07/deploying-scala-code-on-azure-functions/

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Code-To-Function - Specify git location for the function code.

Code-To-Function is idea similar to the Code-To-Container when where Azure function has only pointer to the function code git location.

Additional features could -"well known branches" where master is associated with prod and trunk with pre-prod deployment slots.

The failure of the exxecutin would configurably create an issue in the Git

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. certificate

Can Azure Functions support SSL certificate for consumption plan?
    I found on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/scripts/functions-cli-configure-ssl-certificate that "To bind an SSL certificate, your function app must be created in an App Service plan and not in a consumption plan."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add support for hybrid connections to Consumption Plan

Can we add Hybrid Connections to functions running in Consumption Plans

I'm aware of the idea ...
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/14807298-should-support-hybrid-connections

But this is for App Service Plans, and only mentions Consumption Plan in the response.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base