I suggest you ...

Make it less expensive to run my very small service on Windows Azure.

2,719 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Calvin responded  · 

At PDC 2010 Microsoft announced the Extra Small Instance, which will be priced at $0.05 per compute hour in order to make the process of development, testing and trial easier. This will make it affordable for developers interested in running smaller applications on the platform. A beta of this role will be available before the end of 2010.

Please let us know if this addresses your needs for a more cost effective Azure offering.

124 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan Mann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want a site to run a simple blog and forum and I don't want to pay more than 10$ a month for it, ever. I'd love to use windows Azure but extra sql databases costs more, cpu time, etc it can easily go over 30+ dollars a month. As such I stay on winhost where I get unlimitted disk space, bandwidth, and sql databases for $7.95 a month.

• jinishans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Public Cloud isnt going tobe sucess until providers charge for actual ram, cpu usage instead of 24x7x365 availability. Theyre not understanding even without people moving to public cloud they still have those cpu, ram & hdd keep running, then why not charge only for actual usage...!

• Oz030 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A virtual server cost me 20$ a month. I would get 3 virtual servers for

- An extra small instance
        - The minimum blob storage and transactions
        - 1GB SQL databases

and then I have don't even have CDN, certificates, a DNS and a mail server. I really love Windows Azure and would love the see it be successfull. Windows Phone is so great as well but nobody knows because Microsoft can not convince people using this guy so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't sleep! Convince us! Make it happen!

• P Velachoutakos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is the same as using a shared server.Lot of issues might come up.We believe that it is unique for developing not for going live.

• Gimmerank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I put small sites together in one web role, which lower down the cost for each. I guess you can try the same.

• Paul Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was very interested in Azure. I'm currently using 2 VM hosting boxes and thought what better than to use the Microsoft cloud based system.

I then realised that for a VM with 1/4 the processing power of my current VM it would cost me double the price per month.

I'll be sticking to my current hosts unless Microsoft changes the pricing model so you only actually pay for what you use (in web application terms, when the application is doing something). My websites are used generally for about 4 hours per day. If I was only charged when the website was using CPU time then this would be a viable alternative.

For now, Azure is a totally unreasonable prospect for small development companies such as myself. I'll not be using it at all from now on even though there is still 2 and a half months free trial left, there is no point.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Small applications must be charged by CPU time instead of uptime to make Azure an option in those cases.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need an alternate pricing model. When you build a small website, it needs to be available 24x7x365, but may only get < 100 hits a day. Give us a way of paying for those hits, rather than paying for it to be available. Basically, cost to enter the cloud needs to be more realistic.

• Phil Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The extra small instances are OK but I would really want extra extra small instances designed for running one small site on.

Also SQL Azure prices are too high, step wise. A 50mb/100mb step before 1GB would be great, most sites I design when small only have say a 20mb database size!

Smaller sizes of cache as well or can you split this out and share across many clients?

• Pravil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Jeff Jorczak:
        The Extra Small instances are available now. You will get 1.0 GHz CPU, 768 MB Memory and 20 GB Intance Storage. Cost $0.05 per compute hour.

For the extra-small instances, we have some pre-requisites as mentioned below:

1. You should have the Azure SDK V1.3 or later installed.
        2. Visual studio tools should be installed.
        3. And you should be using VS 2010.

HTH! 

• Juan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cheaper the better, this is the best way to sell the platform. It should allow to setup startup projects at really low cost, (Cheaper that hosting it yourself somewhere else!). Microsoft will get the benefits from those ones that are succesful. Big companies will see the model and buy in even more to the model, as I assume most startups will compete with them, this will favour the disruption.

• Fabio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's still $36 per month, which is a lot more then most hosting providers. Why would I choose Azure when I could host my WCF services for a fraction of the price?

• Jeff Jorczak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will the Extra Small Instance be available? Comment says end of 2010, we are a bit beyond that now.

• Hunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just curious. If you include the amount per year that Amazon requires to stand up a windows server, I am not so sure that Azure costs more than Amazon Web Services.

• Hunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The $0.05 matches Amazon Web Services Reserved Instance. If you were close, even a little bit more expensive than Amazon services across the board, you would have me in a heartbeat. When targeting consumer apps with the potential to spike, these prices are very cheap. Stay in the neighborhood of Amazon across the board and u have me. Thanks

• Captain Dashenka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Small application development is an important first step in befriending a new servce / platform. with these prices Microsoft is missing out on many potential devotees.

• MakerOfThings77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not offer discounts & incentives for people who commit to purchasing X compute hours per month or year. This could be similar to how the ServiceBus connection packs are billed. That way MSFT can plan based on customer commitment. On the other hand won't Facebooks Open Source Datacenter naturally drive prices down?

• MakerOfThings77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not offer discounts & incentives for people who commit to purchasing X compute hours per month or year. This could be similar to how the ServiceBus connection packs are billed. That way MSFT can plan based on customer commitment. On the other hand won't Facebooks Open Source Datacenter naturally drive prices down?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base