I suggest you ...

Fix your Cloud Pricing Calculator!!! It is currently USELESS

Fix your Cloud Pricing Calculator.

It currently is almost completely non-functional. To see what one should look like go look at the Amazon Web Services pricing calculator

a) the slide bars without text input are horrific. I challenge you to try and figure out what a 3GB SQL server instance will cost you. Measure how many tries on the slider it takes to get it to be 3Gb

b) you have a weird mix of services, features and details:
--Web Sites are instances of a Web Worker
-- Cloud Services mixes Web and Worker role instances and the SQL DB on one page (but no Storage services ???!!??)
-- Data Services includes Azure Site Recovery ???!!??
-- Mobile Services include SQL server but not Storage Services (which you would use for stored files to be presented to the mobile device)
-- the "Full Calculator" leaves even an expert in your offering, rather confused

c) make better use of screen real-estate. I don't need the tab/icons to take up 1/8 of my screen at 1280x1024

d) GIVE ME EXAMPLES of configurations.

on AWS, I can see what services I need in a typical

---Free Web Service
--- Marketing Web Site
--- On Demand Large Web App
--- Media Streaming application
--- Disaster Recovery configuration

Basically Its almost impossible to figure out what services you need until your developers implement the solution. This is catastrophic for anyone trying to pitch the use of Azure to their management.

e) Let me use my "current configuration" as an input to the calculator. My Azure Web Portal should be able to feed into the pricing calculator so that I can run What If scenarios

Folks this isn't rocket science. AWS has been doing this FOR TWO YEARS....

One last thing. LET ME decide what zone I am purchasing from. I currently am on the road to my nearshoring team in Latvia. So when my CEO back in Washington DC asks me what our configuration is going to cost.... I have to answer:

I don't know exactly since I'm getting European Pricing. This is silly

448 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Karl Schulmeisters - CTO Carver Global Health GroupKarl Schulmeisters - CTO Carver Global Health Group shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jon SykesJon Sykes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The calculator needs to take a MAP export as input and provide technical IaaS fit + cost to run in Azure based on server config/performance data collected. Manually inputting thousands of servers and their config isn't realistic. Furthermore each VM series has a set of constraints and can only provide so much in terms of performance (storage and compute). These factors are complex and should be considered by your tool

• databashdatabash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Clear all" - isn't actually clearing all. Microsoft Edge + Azure Pricing calculator is a nightmare - you cannot actually remove items.

• Ian GreenIan Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

your calculator is so far out of touch with the real world i had to come in to speak up

• DarwinDarwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, microsoft can develop great software
        but when it comes to price calculators, they have difficulties... i wonder why,
        Perhaps they like ambiguity as they do in licencing,

In google when you depliy a VM, witch is at least half the price BTW,

it displays:
        - Cost per CPU and RAM per month
        - Cost per disk per month
        - Discount based on sustained usage
        - Total estimated price

Azure on the other hand... does not show some of this info even on the price calculator!!
        it seems to me some microsoft customers acept being treated like idiots :D

• James JacksonJames Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I noted that on the Virtual Machine type where is nothing for Ubuntu or other supported linux Distro's, so not sure if I select SUSE (Is Enterprise Version?) or RHEL it includes the Licensing costs?

• CraigCraig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's even more unfathomable on https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/calculator/ when looking at the App Services. I understand the instances, but what the **** are "Hours"? It's ridiculous. We weren't all involved in the design of the service. So please speak to us in normal language. i.e. normal technical language. Also you don't say if the prices include relevant taxes. I can't give my clients estimated pricings from your calculator, therefore it's useless. I think you should take it down it it's fixed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A bit of feedback for you. A lot of your Azure services are very confusing especially on how you charge. We signed up and chose Canadian$ as we are a Canadian Company and then were charged US$ as the pricing was all in US$ even when we have Canadian$ check off.. We would not have started to move our operations if we knew that was the case as it ended up being much more than our current host in Canada.

We felt that we were significantly overcharged and that the value was not there.

For what it is worth your on-boarding process was horrible.

We have been a Microsoft customer for over 25 years and are now moving to mySQL.

Long term loyal customers should be treated better.

• Liam WestonLiam Weston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I price up a D3_V2 Windows Server 2012 Datacenter VM, Standard tier in West Europe, the pricing calculator tells me it's £269.52/mo.

When I go to create a VM with that spec in the new portal, the estimated costs are calculated as £144.99/mo (in the Choose a Size step). That's a big discrepancy! After investigating I worked out that £144.99 is the price for a Linux server, not Windows. This is very misleading for anybody who hasn't checked the pricing calculator and trusts the estimate when creating their VM.

• AlejandroAlejandro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Azure is an excellent platform, just give them a chance! Azure is getting better every day, because they listen to us developers and business owners. They improve as fast as they can by listening to our needs.

And it has an active forum :) with good tech support behind it. Azure is an excellent platform.

• Aidan FinnAidan Finn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's still broken. The VM specs are INCORRECT as they are on all pricing information sheets: Disk size only shows the D: drive which is useless for pricing - and VERY misleading. When I say I want 10 x D3 then storage for 10 x C: should be automatically added. And I should have an option to add data disks. Please delete and restart after talking to people outside of Redmond.

• Brandon MarcusBrandon Marcus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. There's an excel spreadsheet that allows for more options but a better web interface is preferred.

• B Suman KumarB Suman Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The link doesnt work, this is all you get: An error has occurred

An unexpected error occured on the website

... and please don't tell me that other currencies will be added. I'm still waiting on Cortana and Xbox One voice support just a few miles from the North Europe region and EOC MS IE office.

Thanks Guy, it's a "start", but many issues remain. Out side of the tool itself:
        - Over granular pricing that is impossible to estimate (storage transactions) that should be folded into other costs (storage GB)
        - Awful documentation - every pricing tool only shows the D: drive size of Windows VMs and ignores the C: drive and possible number of data drives.

The preview pricing tool:
        - Should only have 1 region setting
        - Needs to show more than USD - too many MSFT solutions are US-only, including the Azure pricing tool for on-premises machines. Why restrict your solutions to 4% of the world's population while settings sales targets for the rest of your subs?
        - Brings up the wrong default configuration for VM storage (block blobs)
        - Doesn't have pricing for VPN Gateway
        - Doesn't have pricing for ExpressRoute - probably not an issue because our local ISP (BT) can't price it either because they've never heard of it!!!!
        - Needs to show the correct instance spec (include the OS drive, possible NICs and data drives)
        - All the addition of data drives
        - Automatically sum up and display the amount of VHD in the solution - it's a pricing tool so why do I need another tool (Excel) and 3 more web pages open to do the pricing?

• ErikErik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FYI, for the sliders, you can simply click on the slider "button" to select it, then use the left-right arrow keys to adjust it by increments of one. it's not obvious, but it works very well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base