Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    riaanvddoolriaanvddool shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Werner MollerWerner Moller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guy are there any updates on this? POPI compliance is a massive issue and we need a local MS infrastructure presence. Our internal infrastructure spans more than 300 cores and we are a relatively small company. I can't fathom how Microsoft does not see a business case making this viable?

• Ben LewiesBen Lewies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that you do not have a local DC is a major restriction to Azure adoption, as there is a lot of compliance requirements that prevent us from moving data offshore.

Take note! This is NOT ONLY a question of latency, BUT ALSO of compliance.

South Africa also services a lot of African countries, and in general other African countries and regulators are comfortable with personal and financial data being hosted in South Africa.

At the very least, please give some clarity on your intentions - if you don't plan on establishing a DC here, we need to know!

• Paul SmullenPaul Smullen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guy - Is there any indication yet from Microsoft as to when they might put an Azure region in Africa? Our company is finding it hard to convince clients in Africa of the merits of Azure with the question of latency out there.

This feedback thread has not been updated by Microsoft in a couple of years.

• Jurie SmitJurie Smit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been pushing Azure as a viable option for Data Storage to clients for more than 3 years, trying to convince them that latency and cost will reduce sometime soon when Microsoft recognize that Africa actually exists. I feel as if I will have to start eating my words if they don't start reacting to our pleas sometime soon.

• Johan MulderJohan Mulder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Africa is the second largest continent in the world with many data centres and some are growing the fastest in the world and we have no AWS and no Azure. The first real cloud provider will clean up the market if they do decide to invest. Come on Microsoft you cant claim to have the most number of data centres if you dont even have one on the Africa continent.

• Paul SmullenPaul Smullen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AWS has started to make a move. Has there been any further announcements from Microsoft to put physical DCs in Africa? My company has clients starting to use Azure but it is a difficult case to make when there is not one server on continent. AWS will eat the market up in no time unless MS respond. (please!)

• Ben LewiesBen Lewies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a lot of corporates and entrepreneurs waiting for this!

It's time for Microsoft to put its money where its mouth is... and support development in Africa by hosting Azure locally in South Africa! This will also be of great service to bordering countries and beyond!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really needs to happen. There is no enterprise-level cloud hosting platform in South Africa, yet there's a great demand for it. If Azure don't act soon, Amazon will eventually launch servers in SA and corner the market.

• Paul MiddletonPaul Middleton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my name to the list for data centres in Africa. We're currently hosting data here en premise in London. Our South African users are complaining of latency. Would love to put their data in azure but the best Azure option is Northern Europe...

• CyberflakeCyberflake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any feedback on the progress here? First prize is local connectivity, Second prize is Direct Circuits(Microsoft Azure Networking: ExpressRoute) via Partners. What's our options right now ?

• Malcolm JackMalcolm Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really pleased with the latest Azure updates with App Service. Now bring some data centers to Africa please!

• ThierryThierry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with everybody here. This is really not fair to mark this as completed...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes we work for one of largest local serach engine in nigeria and we have to host our applicatoin in north Europe zone which is 5000 kms away from nigeria so latency in very high , we need a datacenter in west africa

• timtim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this completed?!? There are no data centers here. This issue was not for azure to be commercially available. We would very much like to have some servers in the country so that we dont have to run around the world to server local clients. ... Please reopen this .. ******* man ...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base