Since we have moved to Azure plan the Azure calculator is now no longer accurate as it uses a different exchange rate (We are based in UK )
As we are based in the UK and therefore invoiced in UK sterling, I have noticed that since moving to Azure plan, the actual charge for Azure is based on a $ unit price then translated at the month exchange rate. However the Azure calculator has a static unit price in UK sterling. This means that the calculator is now always wrong until it allows you to use the dollar price being used that month. This needs to happen quickly as there is a substantial difference between the calculator costing and current prices so we have no visibility.