I suggest you ...

Continue Azure offering free for Developers

After February 1st 2010, it's going to be tough for developers/freelancers/hobbiest to learn, test and deploy azure applications as it's going to be billed for everything.
Like Google AppEngine (http://code.google.com/appengine/whyappengine.html#norisk) Azure should provide free offering for developers with some similar limitations and if the usage goes beyond, one can enter in billing.

2,488 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminJames Conard (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback. In June Microsoft announced the general availability of two key services: Windows Azure Web Sites and Windows Azure Mobile Services. Both of these services are now available with a free tier so you can quickly develop and test your applications and spike out ideas at no costs. With Windows Azure Web Sites you can develop and deploy 10 web sites for free. With Windows Azure Mobile Services you can build cloud back-ends for Windows 8.x, Windows Phone, Apple iOS, Android, and HTML/JavaScript applications. You can also run up to 10 mobile services for free. As you need to grow and scale your web site or mobile service you can easily select one of the paid tiers without redeploying or changing your application.

For more information about these services, please check out the following blog post: http://aka.ms/AzureFreeServices.

You can get started using these services for free by creating a new Windows Azure account: http://aka.ms/GetStartedWithFreeServices

66 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • José Manuel Nieto Sánchez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a developer, not a company. I cannot learn Azure because Microsoft wants me "to pay as I (try to) learn". How in life would I be interested in Azure if the first thing they do is asking for my credit card?

Offer a reasonable option for developers. Otherwise, apply yourself one of the catchphrases that Duke Nukem said related to eating.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a system admin (MCSA server 2012) and need to learn Azura lift and shift. $200 ran out in 20 days and now have to pay. This is ridiculous. How Microsoft will get more certified people if they don't provide us chances.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a free tier without the need for a credit card only for MSDN subscribers. Indie developers have other free options of course, not with MS though. And that is not great for MS losing on a lot of potential success stories.

Google, and others, are smarter that way, allowing anyone to make use of their services, all API open up to an adequate and reasonable certain level of usage for fledgling studios.

You can continue using their services for free without being billed but you will be dropping users after a certain point. It is your choice to benefit by giving your card details if you have one. Not a prerequisite.

Free Dev Love, Free Marketing, One Additional Growth Channel. Not a bad deal for both.

Hi Haris, Thought i would jump in, im in my 4th year studying software development, im researching into my final year project where one element is using cloud development technology and i got excited when i came across "Getting started on Windows Azure with Java on a Virtual Machine " and tomcat couldn't ask for more,

But then after getting excited i see that i have to pay after 90 days.

Just curious have you even looked into you competitors such as google app engine who offer it free as long as the site hits remain under 1 million per month. How many developers have you lost because of this.

You keep mentioning cost effective where google just says free ?

Im really looking forward to your response.

Paul.

Developers should receive a limited amount of access to SQL Azure with a Technet subscription

• Roger Jennings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@R. B.

You began your rant with "I am a developer with HP" so I assume you are speaking on behalf of HP.

How long does HP offer their "Converged Cloud" services for free?

Is HP *not* about PROFIT?

--rj

• jinishans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, even Amazon provides 1 yr free hosting for both Linux & Windows servers...!

• R.B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a developer with HP. Big Business is capping usage on everything from Cell Data, now to AZURE development. Free for several months - 90 Days - so if you can learn it in 90 days, and if you want to DOUBLE, TRIPLE, check your code before you compile and get charged for every cpu cycle you utilize - GOOD LUCK.

Microsoft is about PROFIT, not about the Customer or the Developer. It comes down to Bad Management at Microsoft. Perhaps this individual or Group that decided to charge for EVERYTHING, will eventually be let go and someone with some actual education will be promoted into the position. So many unemployed developers, Learn Azure - sounds like - oops - wait, take all your money and spend it at AZURE.COM - Right... It is unfortunate that the World Leader in software, is not an Elected Position - this team would be long gone...

• benk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is a month any half decent app will take months probably years to develop and it will take a number of years more before it makes any real money..

• Juan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Not only is creating an App Engine application easy, it's free! You can create an account and publish an application that people can use right away at no charge, and with no obligation. When you need to use more resources, you can enable billing and allocate your budget according to your needs"

• ray247 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be a way to have a free or low cost offerings to developers in general, not just MSDN subscribers or BizSpark users. Like Amazon is giving a small Linux instance for free for a full year. A free/low cost offering would really help us to try and be more confident in developing apps for Azure for the future.

• schwartzberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

allow ceilings on azure service consumption, thus cost ceilings. Free premliminary thresh-hold (like for msdn premium developers), cuts entry costs, but in principle there is no ceiling. Any demo i make, that is succcessful for users of it, can have costs shoot through the clouds!

• jinishans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Haris

I think the BizSpark stuff is really good, 8 months + 8 months. It'll be useful for small startups.

The issue here is, time is running out, this month on month 25 hrs is Horrible. I've registered for that, deployed a Hello World app, forgot to switch off, Gosh, I got a $60-70 bill a month back. For what, for just deploying my Hello World Azure app, cos it's running, NO Activity.

Man, this is what we're asking to go. Remove that 25hrs, make it 750 hrs (min. 720 hrs / month) FREE for developers, with 1 SQL Server DB, Allow Multiple web apps in 1 webrole. Allow Developers to learn Azure.

We can't spend whole day / month to learn this. Probably 10-20 hrs / month, in our tight work schedule.

Common folks, see AWS, it's already started, I've registered there though being a .NET guy since .NET 1.0 was in Alpha, jumped in 2001/02 from J2EE, now if Azure is not going to be FREE for Developers, we're forced to go back to Java with Amazon AWS Free program, and propose such thing in our next projects to our customers, no other way. Without we learning/trying out Azure, No one, I'm telling, No one is going to recommend/plan for their next project.

Bring it On, Now !

Regards
        jinishans

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base