I suggest you ...

Allow aligning fault domains and update domains in an availability set

In certain cases I want to manage the availability of data replicas across a cluster of machines, and can endure more downtime for greater predictability of the nature of downtime.
An example is Kafka, where I can handle a large portion of machines going down so long as I can make predictions of how they'll be correlated so I can plan how I lay out topic partitions to keep a majority of partitions up.

With the way availability sets are currently set up, I can limit my downtime in case of a fault, or in case of an upgrade, but I can't align my planning on fault and upgrade domains to provide higher level guarantees.

As an example: if I have a cluster of 9 machines, and 3 fault domains, and 3 upgrade domains. If I only cared about faults, I could have a replication factor of 3 and distribute them across fault domains and be fairly confident that a fault would only take out 1 replica and I would still have majority and the cluster stays healthy. If an upgrade comes along though, I no longer have those guarantees and may lose 2 or 3 replicas and my cluster will be down, even though I've only lost 1/3rd of machines.
The same holds true if you swap upgrade and fault domains and plan the other way.
If I do 7 replicas in the cluster, and distribute across fault and upgrade domain combinations, I can guarantee that if any 3 machines go down (across either FD or UD), I'll still have majority, but this brings more than double cost and complexity.
If I could have my availability set configured such that all my machines had their Fault and Upgrade domains aligned (such that being in FD 1 guarantees being in UD 1, etc), then I can guarantee availability with only 3 replicas (in the above example) in the Upgrade or Fault case.

27 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bert Hartmann shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base