I suggest you ...

Change geographical region for a given resource

A while back, you did not have a data centre in the UK, so I deployed all my resources to the North Europe region as that was the nearest. Now you do have a UK region, but all my resources are in the North Europe data centre. To migrate everything closer to home, is a real pain in the back side at the moment. Please provide an easy way to migrate across data centres difference resources such as Web Apps, Databases, Storage containers, etc.

136 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrei Bazanov shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Imre Pühvel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discovered geographies like "north" and "west" are sometimes assigned in mysterious ways ;) All my resources ended up in suboptimal region. not to mention simple mistakes when creating resources.

I understand there may be conditions and limitations when this can be done, but this automation should really be available out of the box.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've recently gone through the same problem - it took a couple of days and extra cost from running two sets of machines to move from Europe to the UK. This feature would have been very welcome. I can imagine that moving would have been nearly impossible for write-heavy applications, but as our app is mostly data reads, we were able to make the manual move, albeit with some enforced downtime to prevent data sync issues.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, developers who create resources tend to not bother selecting region properly...which may result in costly (latancy/rountrip, etc.) resources and today they can't be moved.
        Recreation is not always an option...

Feedback and Knowledge Base