I suggest you ...

Allow a VM to be added to an availability set without recreating the VM

Currently after you have created a VM you are not able to add this to an existing or new availability set. It would be great if this was available function to be completed at any point during a VM's lifecycle.

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Harry Powell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ned Bellavance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a very nice feature to add an existing VM to an empty availability set. The problem that I see is adding a VM to an existing availability set with other VMs may violate the availability set constraints. Imagine a situation where you have two VMs in an Av-Set and you would like to add a third. If the third VM already exists, it may be running in the same update or failure domain as one of the other two VMs. In order to add the third VM without violating the constraints, it would need to be moved to a different update domain or failure domain. Doing so requires the VM to be powered down, since Azure doesn't do live migration of VMs off their current host.

I have come across several situations where someone started with a single VM and later decided they wanted to add a second VM for redundancy, but they had not configured an Av-Set with the first VM. It would be nice to be able to create an empty Av-Set and add the first VM, then create the second VM in the same Av-Set. That avoids the constraint violation issues I mentioned above and makes like easier for the admin.

Feedback and Knowledge Base