I suggest you ...

Improvements to Azure pricing calculator

Pricing spreadsheets are now deprecated, the new calculator is in "preview" but isn't really usable, especially for large models. I'm using the channel version https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/channel/

Some suggestions:
- allow use of "work" email addresses
- if there are hard limits on items then make it simple to add multiples (e.g. if disk is only available up to max of 5000Gb then allow choosing a number of identical disks)
- allow sharing of estimates with others OR allow import of exported estimates. Large deals will always have multiple people working collaboratively, the calculator simply does not allow this and suggesting exporting spreadsheets does not allow any reworking/editing
- allow reordering of items or allow automatic grouping (e.g. all storage together)
- where there is help avaiable have it launch in a new tab or window
- offer additional info on the EA Levels displayed
- in exported spreadsheets allow grouping and sub-totalling by item (for example show all storage)
- in exported spreadsheets create monthly and yearly subtotals/totals
- where there are hard limits on an item make it clearer they have been exceeded (don't just silently round numbers down, turn them red too)
- reinstate the summary tabs from the old spreadsheets (pricing summary and SKU list)

Perhaps these should be split into separate posts to allow voting on individual points but I've got some estimates to prepare...

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael Cameron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nick Marchini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using the calculator for a while now and I have to say it's a bit cumbersome, The box for each item are way too large and when you are pricing out a large solution it becomes a nightmare to scroll up and down each time you want to make an amendment.

Also there should be a facility to share a quote with another person in the same organisation, If I have over a pricing exercise to someone else halfway through then they have to build out the whole quote again, this is very time consuming.

I also need to know who to contact for support. I have some quotes that won't load now, there are 16 items on the quote and only 3 of the load. I now need to rebuild the whole quote from scratch, which will take some time.

• Michael Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unit prices are shown with $ even though quote is in £. Values are correct, just sign is wrong.
        Example:
        20 Standard virtual machine(s), D4 v2 (8 cores, 28 GB RAM, 400 GB disk, $0.596/hr) size: 372 hours

The total for the above shows as:
        £4436.01
        but this might be due to excel formatting

Unit prices are shown with $ even though quote is in £. Values are correct, just sign is wrong.
        Example:
        20 Standard virtual machine(s), D4 v2 (8 cores, 28 GB RAM, 400 GB disk, $0.596/hr) size: 372 hours

The total for the above shows as:
        £4436.01
        but this might be due to excel formatting

And another few:
        - support smaller screen resolutions. On a standard laptop screen I have to zoom to 80% to see the "Update" button which appears at the foot of the item list; there is no scroll bar to allow you to see the very foot of the list.
        - if the extimate name is changed allow the choice of overwriting the original or creating a new one. Do not (as currently happens) silently overwrite the original
        - offer the ability to return to a previous version of an estimate

And just to add to the list. For the exported spreadsheets separate out the quantity, item and usage instead of lumping it into a single column (for example, "1 Standard virtual machine(s), A2 v2 (2 cores, 4 GB RAM, 20 GB disk, $0.079/hr) size: 744 hours").

Feedback and Knowledge Base