I suggest you ...

Better pricing structure for API Management

We currently use 4 instances of APIM for duplicating our environments (Dev/UAT/Pre Prod and Production)

We went with APIM as a solution for fronting some azure services and some internal services. Due to the VPN access only being available on Premium we are paying for over 32 Millions calls a day when we will barely generate a 1 Million. So we have 4 Premium APIM instances costing us £6000 a month purely for the VPN access. Forcing us to pay for a level we do not require just for a feature of the environment, it would be better if the VPN option was addon rather than forcing customers to pay up front for massive usage they don't require

49 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Darren Kay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with many others that the VNET and AAD integration should be available to standard tier as well. Why should we pay for large scale instances like those of premium if we don't have the traffic needs at all. Shouldn't all APIs have option for maximum security.

• Oli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to see a "per 1M requests" pricing or something similar

• Joost Farla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VNet support should definitely be available for all subscription plans. I don't see why this is considered a premium feature. The price for premium is just crazy if you just want to publish an API with low usage rates in a secure manner.

• Mikael Glentoft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with previous people - paying for premium tier just cause we need the VPN and AAD feature is crazy! We just want to secure access to our API's, and having approx 5 requests / second we don't want to pay for a billion requests / second.

• Oh Yan Ming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any plans to introduce a new tier or make standard more flexible? I like the standard tier but it doesnt support VNET integration which should come off as a basic feature.

• Mathias Nilsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would much rather pay for number of requests being made and features we use. Premium is too expensive, standard lacks functionality and developer is not an option in production.

• Ian Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The APIM pricing model feels more like a third party add-on than an integrated Azure offering. Vnet and AAD integration should be standard with pricing based just on scaling.

• Henrik Åberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. The pricing model for APIM with three fixed levels is way too blunt and not very cloud oriented. AWS and Google charges $3-$3.50 per 1M API calls which is way more flexible.

• Muhammad Haroon - ZehnLabs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. The APIM pricing is not very well thought out and a bit too restrictive, especially at the Developer level. For a company that's just starting out in the web service space, the Developer level makes most economical sense, however, no SLA whatsoever and restrictions on number of calls and data transfer are too prohibitive. I think the current Developer level should be offered at half the price for testing purposes, and a Standard level should be introduced at the $49 price point with at least some SLA and better data transfer and calls rate.

Feedback and Knowledge Base