(General Feedback)

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Azure? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Azure customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Azure.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Azure. If you have feedback on a specific service such as Azure Virtual Machines, Web Apps, or SQL Database, please submit your feedback in one of the forums available on the right.

Remember that this site is only for feature suggestions and ideas!

If you have technical questions or need help with Azure, please try StackOverflow or visit our MSDN forums

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2,714 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    124 comments  ·  Offers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Calvin responded

At PDC 2010 Microsoft announced the Extra Small Instance, which will be priced at $0.05 per compute hour in order to make the process of development, testing and trial easier. This will make it affordable for developers interested in running smaller applications on the platform. A beta of this role will be available before the end of 2010.

Please let us know if this addresses your needs for a more cost effective Azure offering.

2. Continue Azure offering free for Developers

After February 1st 2010, it's going to be tough for developers/freelancers/hobbiest to learn, test and deploy azure applications as it's going to be billed for everything.
    Like Google AppEngine (http://code.google.com/appengine/whyappengine.html#norisk) Azure should provide free offering for developers with some similar limitations and if the usage goes beyond, one can enter in billing.

2,488 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    70 comments  ·  Offers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  James Conard responded

Thank you for your feedback. In June Microsoft announced the general availability of two key services: Windows Azure Web Sites and Windows Azure Mobile Services. Both of these services are now available with a free tier so you can quickly develop and test your applications and spike out ideas at no costs. With Windows Azure Web Sites you can develop and deploy 10 web sites for free. With Windows Azure Mobile Services you can build cloud back-ends for Windows 8.x, Windows Phone, Apple iOS, Android, and HTML/JavaScript applications. You can also run up to 10 mobile services for free. As you need to grow and scale your web site or mobile service you can easily select one of the paid tiers without redeploying or changing your application.

For more information about these services, please check out the following blog post: http://aka.ms/AzureFreeServices.

You can get started using these services…

3. 1,444 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    89 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Scott Hanselman responded

All three Azure hosting options support 4.5 now! Cloud Services, WebSites and VMs.

4. 1,085 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    60 comments  ·  Availability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow e-mail unsubscribe

I have received three e-mails in one day from azure. One about downtime (I have no services right now), and two advertising features. None of these e-mails have unsubscribe buttons, and I cannot find a way to suppress them in the account page. All contact checkboxes are un-checked.

759 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    87 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Guy Burstein responded

The Product updates and announcements email, previously been sent as a transnational email without the ability to unsubscribe, has been updated to be a promotional email with an unsubscribe link at the bottom. We apologize that it look so long, but we’re glad we were able to make it happen. Thanks for voting on this issue!

6. 455 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    38 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Scott Hanselman responded

We’ve added Git deployment support for WebSites. You can deploy in seconds now. We’ve added deployment from TFS. You can deploy to WebSites and CloudServices from TFS. You can publish with WebDeploy from VS or WebMatrix when targeting WebSites.

7. Build hosting centers in South Africa

Supports local economies...

449 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    43 comments  ·  Availability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Kimberly Bolton responded

To stay updated on the latest datacenters available near you, I suggest bookmarking a couple pages:
    Azure home page (https://azure.microsoft.com): scroll down the page to see the map displaying all active and planned Azure regions.

Azure Regions page (https://azure.microsoft.com/regions/): Provides you with the same map but also a more detailed description of the regional locations nearest you.

Azure blog (https://azure.microsoft.com/blog/): Whenever a new region is announced, you will read about it here. The blog is a wealth of information on Azure news and announcements.

8. Fix your Cloud Pricing Calculator!!! It is currently USELESS

Fix your Cloud Pricing Calculator.

It currently is almost completely non-functional. To see what one should look like go look at the Amazon Web Services pricing calculator

a) the slide bars without text input are horrific. I challenge you to try and figure out what a 3GB SQL server instance will cost you. Measure how many tries on the slider it takes to get it to be 3Gb

b) you have a weird mix of services, features and details:
    --Web Sites are instances of a Web Worker
    -- Cloud Services mixes Web and Worker role instances and the SQL DB…

448 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    21 comments  ·  azure.microsoft.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Elena Salaks responded

Hey, the pricing calculator has been improved and now covers all the Azure services. I hope you like it. Let us know if you have any additional feedback.

9. Actually pay attention and respond to the suggestions from this forum.

As of this writing, there are 590 suggestions in the Windows Azure Feature Voting section. There are 18 that have been closed, and as far as I can see they are ALL features that already existed when the suggestion was submitted. There are 17 marked as "planned". Of these, most are either billing changes, or were announced at PDC 2010 (2 years ago). Microsoft employees on the forums regularly refer us to this site if we need a feature, but it feels to me that this Azure development is not guided at all by user suggestions here, as Microsoft employees…

317 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Guy Burstein responded

Thanks everyone for the feedback, and we apologize it took us so long. We value the feedback forums and consider it an important way for us to listen to what you are all saying, the experience you are going through when using Window Azure, and the ideas you have on how to make it even better.
    Over the last several months we have improved the site experience and assigned owners to each of the forums. We are constantly monitoring the forums, listening to your feedback and responding as quickly as possible.

10. Provide Azure hosting service for Vietnamese market

We are software development companies in Vietnam and Vietnamese clients have the large demand to use Azure hosting service.

Please enlarge your service for Vietnamese market.

310 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    40 comments  ·  Availability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Pay per minute instead of pay par hour

One thing that I like the most (and most needed by my business) about cloud computing is ability to fine tune the processing power available to exactly match the demand.

In this respect, I would even more interested if Azure was letting me adjust the number of instances much more aggressively, that is to say if I was charged by the minute and not by the hour.

Indeed, if I have a process that take 1h15, I end-up paying for 2h while I would really prefer to pay 1h15 since I have made the effort to optimize my process so…

303 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Offers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. expose a Service Availability API.

Build an API that exposes the data that is used by the Service Availability dashboard, so that we can build monitoring applications (e.g. WinPhone7) to keep an eye on things. I know about the RSS feed for the services, but it's largely ad-hoc, and pretty unparseable programmatically. Ideally, this is something that just returns Red/Yellow/Green for a DC+Service combination, and a comment if it's not all Green. Clearly, if everything is going well, it's heavily cacheable, and only when it's changed would you need to break that cache.

287 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Availability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can use the REST APIs, SDK or PowerShell to query for Service Health Events that impact any of our Azure subscriptions. Here are a couple of samples that can help you:
    https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/How-To-Programmatically-49df487d
    https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/How-To-Setup-Email-Alerts-c26cdc55
    You can also find the REST API for Events here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn931934.aspx

— Ashwin Kamath, PM, Microsoft Azure

13. Make Azure Available for Nepal

We Developers and IT Pros in Nepal have delivered several Solutions based on Azure. However Doing this we have always been dependent on Buying Subscriptions from another Country. This has created problems for developers and IT Pros like us.
    Nepal Being a country being a target for Software and Services Out Sourcing Center, Large and Commercial Software Development happening, Nepal Being a country supporting Green Energy, Government Supporting the Cloud and Microsoft, we are still deprived of using the Services.
    I had talked with CTOs and Various Evangelist of Microsoft Regarding this issue. The response I got was , Microsoft…

281 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Availability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add Bosnia and Herzegovina to the list of supported countries

Currently it is not possible to buy any product from the Windows Azure family, not even the free ones from Bosnia and Herzegovina. Please add Bosnia to the list of supported countries.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Upload size limitaion on Application Gateway

I find that upload content size limitation about 28.6 MB on Application Gateway.

This seems to be dependent on IIS configuraiton, <requestLimits> maxAllowedContentLength attribute, but there's no way for users to configure this.

So, having configuring IIS including upload size of Application Gateway would be fantastic.

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Offers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Application Insights for North Europe region

Currently Application Insights can only be created in "Central US" region.

We have restrictions that all our resources should be created in "North Europe" region.

As a result, we are not able to use Application Insights.

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  azure.microsoft.com  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Elena Salaks responded

Application Insights region availability has expanded and includes additional regions, including North Europe. You can see the latest region availability for Application Insights and other Azure services on https://azure.microsoft.com/regions/services/. Let us know if you have any other feedback.

17. Create a roadmap of planned features for Azure so we know what to expect as developers

Right now as a developer I feel a bit in the dark of what is coming next to azure. There are really great ideas on here, a small handful have been confirmed.

I have been told to wait for PDC 2010 - seem arbitrary. We arn't launcing an iPod here! There are things that are needed here, there is no reason to keep us in the dark.

85 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Provide technology (Server etc) to run same clould application on premise

I belive if microsoft provide nessery technology to run same azure service ( without any modification) on-premise, most of the company will start investing it now. Because all about clould is scaliblity and power, but how about existing infrastructure which I have now.

In Long run I want to use all my resources I never want to depend on just clould. I want to start using my on-permise fist and when I need it I can extend my resources with clould. So I can start prepare my application infratructure for scalability now and feature when I need it I can…

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Why not available in my country?

I tried to buy an zure plan today and suddenly after 10 minutes of registration i found a message telling me the service is not supported in your country. i live in UAE
    why it's not supported ? and why there is no such information about that

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    96 comments  ·  Offers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in