How can we improve Microsoft Azure Data Lake?

Support output to SQL and SQL DW

Today, ADLA supports reading from SQL and SQL DW, so if I'm operating on data in these sources, I would ideally prefer to write in the same data source as well to avoid unnecessary movement and silo-ing of data across multiple sources.

67 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rukmani Gopalan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this feature to output to Azure SQL. The rational behind restricting external table to read-only is puzzling.

• Brian Vallelunga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Polybase is fine, but it requires setting up the external tables ahead of time and pointing them to a destination that has to exist at the time. It would be better if we could push data directly to SQL DW from within ADL U-SQL query. Making a SQL Outputter would be super useful.

• Neil Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support for SQL DB would be great, as it would make it easier to use SQL DB as an interactive cache for job results.

being able to read directly from the catelog database, rather than having to output to a file would improve the process even more (some sort of elastic query connection from the SQL engines to ADLA??)

• matt winkler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

U-SQL can read data from SQL DB, SQL Data Warehouse as well as SQL Servers running Azure VM's. I would like to be able to also write data to those sources. A common use case is taking the pre-aggregated or reduced data set and loading it into a database for reporting or for an application to use.

(opening on behalf of customer requests)

Feedback and Knowledge Base