How can we improve Microsoft Azure Data Lake?

Provide support for installing NuGet packages on databases

When creating custom components such as extractors you can register the assemblies from within Visual Studio to a specific Azure Data Lake Analytics database.

However when you want to share your components with someone or re-use in multiple projects/databases you need to get the DLLs from the source, register all of them and your good to go.

It would be nice to be able to use NuGet packages to distribute your re-usable code. This would also allow use to open-source our components and allow other people to easily re-use these components.

18 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom Kerkhove shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  Saveen responded  · 

Thanks for the feedback Tom.

If I understand this scenario correctly, you want to be able to use a U-SQL Catalog almost like a NuGet feed? So that for example, someone could pull and register assemblies into their VS Projects from a U-SQL Catalog. Do I have that right?

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michael Rys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was reading it more like that you use Nuget to share the code and then have an easy way to deploy the assembly package into your own data lake account. But maybe going both ways is even better :).

• Tom Kerkhove commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Saveen,

It's rather the other way around. Imagine that I want to use a custom extractor that someone has built I would love to be able and say on the database "Register NuGet Package" instead of DLLs.

This would allow developers to more easily share their components and we can re-use them from each other without having to register assembly one by one after you've build his code.

For example - I have built a custom extractor and would love to provide a NuGet package that others can simply install.

Does that clarify my use-case more?

Feedback and Knowledge Base