Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure IoT (Hub, DPS, SDKs)

This forum is to get feedback on Azure IoT Hub, Azure IoT HubDevice Provisioning Service (DPS), and Azure IoT SDKs. This forum will help the engineering team collect feedback from our customers and users and help us understand and prioritize the roadmap.

For providing feedback on other IoT related services, please do so on the corresponding forums.

1. IOT Device provisioning and key vault

device provisioning service keyvault integration should be a feature as standard like what has been done with api management .

There is no backup option of device provisioning but should we use the service endpoints API to retrieve the configuration and store it ourselves we still need to import the required certs that were used as part of the enrollment groups and individual enrollments should we need to restore

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Get an alert when reaching the max quota of the IoT Hub

Hi,

Sometimes we send more messages than the size of the IoT Hub allows. We'd like to be able to receive an alert when this scenario occurs.

The current Alert system for IoT Hub allows to setup a dynamic threshold to any metrics but there is not option to limit the quota.

Thank you.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Handle/Access child devices from IoTEdge

In a senario where you have a transparent gateway solution with IoTEdge and have several devices connected to IoTHub through the IoTEdge gateway, Currently you need to keep track on what devices is connected on what gateway yourself.

A nice feature with the new IoTEdge Extented (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/iot-edge/offline-capabilities)
    Would be that if you could from for example the Device SDK for Azure IoT Hub manage or at least list Child devices for an EdgeDevice, or if it could be for example an item in the DeviceTwin for the EdgeDevice.

This would make it much simpler to map the correct…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Method to determine real size of message in Device/Service Client SDK

Since the SDK is adding its own headers and serializes the content which is sent to the IoT Hub, then it is not possible to upfront know if a message will be too large.

Would be nice it there was a method that could give the size, so we can compare to the limits of the IoT Hub.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Provide hardening configuration for IoT Hub

IoT hub is the entry point from devices to cloud. WE should be able to reduce the attack surface in the IoT hub by

• Configuring the ports that will be in listening mode (Ex. 443 only)
    • Configuring the protocols used (Ex. MQTT Only)
    • Configuring the TLS protocol (Ex. TLS 1.2 only) and cipher suites

It must be possible to configure all these during the deployment of an IoT Hub

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow changing device certificates

Allow device certificates to be changed through the Azure Portal without deleting/recreating a device.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Plans to change Azure IOT to hub free tier a paid tier

Once your proof of concept is working on the free hub, it would be nice to scale it to a paid hub

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support TPM from non-Windows IoT Core devices

IoT solutions using field devices with inherently limited physical security are a ticking time bomb. Although this risk seems to have been overlooked or ignored to some extent, I believe it is inevitable that TPM or similar will come to be seen as essential.

From the research I have done, it appears that only Windows IoT Core based devices can be provisioned in IoT hub to use TPM.

All it takes is one high profile device spoofing attack on Azure IoT hub for people to wake up to the risk and realise that Azure IoT can not provide adequate security…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Field Gateway SDK: Please provide a Device Management module

The Field Gateway SDK will be used to manage leaf node devices. Device Management module is a must have and at this point must be coded by each developer implementing a gateway. Please provide a baseline Device Management module that ships with the Gateway.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide guidance on best practices for improving IoT Hub performance

Provide documentation equivalent to that available for Service Bus (e.g. https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/service-bus-performance-improvements/), particularly around connection management

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to put funds limits on services or groups vulnerable to flood errors/attacks and develop better service usage management system

Simple scenario with IoT Suite and sensor network error: Currently with disabled bizspark subscription due to exceeding available funds it is not possible to get any technical support or even report errors. Let's say there's a broken(or hacked) sensor which is flooding our network. This leads to higher resources usage and after few hours monthly limits might be exceeded. Now Azure problems: After subscription is disabled, IoT Hub messaging stats are not available.IoT Hub essentials and some tiles are not loading. I don't see possibility to check messaging historical usage of different hubs or any other services included in IoT…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Transparent decompression of payload (e.g. JSON) in IoT Hub

Sending JSON messages to IoT Hub becomes an expensive matter because messages for simple values become quite big, and sending straight JSON allows for straight processing in cloud services.

Some Azure services, like Azure Stream Analytics already support payload compressed with gzip or deflate, but many do not.

So why not allow the decompression of the payload transparently directly in IoT Hub and send it along in Azure uncompressed? It can save a lot of money for the customer, the only option you need to add is to auto decompress e.g. gzip or deflate to e.g. JSON in IoT Hub…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. IoT Hub SDK - connect to Event Hub using Managed Identity

The current IoT Hub SDK does not provide a way to directly connect to internal Event Hub using managed identities.

The current work-around for this is to retrieve a connection string for the internal Event Hub and use that string to create a client to connect to it. This requires time to initialize the client and the string that is collected has a lot of permissions that have the potential to be exposed.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Connect with managed service identity

Currently the registry manager needs a connection string with a shared secret. From a security point of view, it would be great if a can connect my code withtl the managed service identity of my azure function or web app. So I can connect on the cloud side passwordless to the iothub. If there is no secret, noone can steal it.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. DPS Device SDK: Use Common Name as default Registration ID

When provisioning a device per DPS Device SDK, I need to explicitly set the Registration ID even though its the Common Name of the client certificate. Please use the Common Name as the default Registration ID if none was set.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Azure IoT Edge C2D messages

I successfully implemented a IoT-Edge Module but i didn't find out how to receive C2D messages or call direct methods here.

Finally i found a Note:
    Currently IoT Edge only supports send messages into one module from another module, direct C2D messages doesn't work.

Now i'm worried...

The used IoT-Hub (Standard tier) should support this,
    but i can't find any information about the IoT-Edge support.

Are there any announcements, supported features lists, code samples?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. ECC certificats support

ECC (Eliptic Curve Cryptography) certificats have smaller key size and footprint for TLS handshakes providing optimal security in tiny IoT devices. The technology is mature and future proof at the same time.
    https://www.digicert.com/ecc.htm

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Azure IoT Hub management SDK for Java

I'd like to manage Azure IoT Hub on my Java Application.
    There is C# version of IoT Hub management SDK but I can't find Java SDK.

C# IoT management SDK: https://github.com/Azure/azure-sdk-for-net/tree/psSdkJson6/src/SDKs/IotHub

I especially Upload CA Certificate automatically something like that.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. C2D Support in REST APIs

The REST APIs do not include C2D capabilities. Customers who need REST only solutions need this.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Read from IoT Hub like a generic MQTT server

I appears that you cannot read from IoT Hub without using one of the prescribed SDKs. Furthermore it seems like reading is not well supported outside of the .NET SDK (I am talking about monitoring messages, not reading back ACKs after writing).

I would be a lot easier if IoT Hub could be connected to with a generic MQTT connector.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure IoT (Hub, DPS, SDKs)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base