Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure IoT (Hub, DPS, SDKs)

This forum is to get feedback on Azure IoT Hub, Azure IoT HubDevice Provisioning Service (DPS), and Azure IoT SDKs. This forum will help the engineering team collect feedback from our customers and users and help us understand and prioritize the roadmap.

For providing feedback on other IoT related services, please do so on the corresponding forums.

1. Device Provisioning Service Managed Identity

Currently the DPS connects to each IoT Hub using a Shared Secret, while emerging concepts more and more use Managed Service Identities.

Similar to the IoT Hub, allow a managed Identity to be added to the DPS, that is used to create Tokens to access other Azure Services like the IoT Hub.

Note: this is not incoming management of the DPS itself using RBAC (which would be a really great addition), this is about outgoing authenticiation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Which receiver is attached to consumer group.

We would like to know which receiver is attached to consumer group.
    Kindly please take consideration to this idea.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Send device twin change events on changes in the parent/child relationship

When implementing a cache for device twin we do not get the parent scope data in the cache since we do not get any update event on parent/child changes. This is a bother for us and we would expect those events since it affects the Device Twin.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make SAS token shorter

Some LTE modem don't support MQTT user passwords longer than 128 bytes. Device SAS tokens usually exceed 150 bytes so this fact is disabling these modems from directly connecting to the IoT HUB

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Auto Scaling IoT Hub

There is no direct way it seems for the autoscaling of IoT Hub. It would have been better if the feature is baked in directly into IoT hub rather than depending upon azure functions

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. I have a business account on my phone and don’t own a business.

I also have tons of open licenses on my iPhone and my sons iPad. Who do I report this invasion of privacy to?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Standardization according to international FHIR IGs

Hi,
    I am curious on Microsoft Azure IoT and its relationship to international implementations guides like FHIR PHD IG and FHIR PoCG IG for sharing device information. We are thinking of adopting these IGs on a national level, and it would be interesting to know what Microsoft are thinking about supporting these kinds of implementation guides in your IoT products. Cheers, øyvind

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add ability to handle direct methods with payload > 128 KB

Currently, direct methods limit the payload size of requests and responses to 128 KB. For many applications, this is not enough.

The data that is typically passed is in JSON format. Using GZIP compression, more than 128 KB can be effectively passed back and forth. For even larger requests and responses, there are workarounds such as chunking the request/response and then concatenating it back.

It would be great to have the ability to send unlimited large requests and responses directly in the SDK. The API could internally use chunking and compression (with options for string and binary data).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow option for both scaling msg/day and scaling msg/sec to accommodate burst

Would be nice if the IoT hub offered 2 scaling option sliders. One for msg/sec and one for total msg/day.

Easier to balance cost in those cases were we do not need that many total messages pr. day, but we need the capability to perform some short bursts with many msg/sec.

Think Tesla car app were you can monitor the car driving on the map in realtime. Sometimes during the day many customers could be watching the app at the same time. Would need high throughput burst for those moments.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. JSON Object support in message enrichment

Currently when we configure some keys as message enrichment. It is only supporting string values. If value is having non-string datatype. It is simply adding '$twin.tags.{key}' as value.
    For my project, I am having dynamic json object as value. So, I need to manually parse that to string before setting as device twin tags and from message enrichment, i need to de-serialize into json before processing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow IoT Hub credentials to authorize FunctionApp endpoints

It would be very useful if an IoT client device could use its IoT hub credentials to authorize itself with a FunctionApp HTTP endpoint, either directly or via some kind of gateway. Currently, it is possible to route a message to a Function via a device to cloud message and service bus, but this prevents synchronous responses. Being able to have a client device call a secure endpoint and get a direct response would be useful in a variety of scenarios, for example, issuing access tokens for other resources.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Instruction error

For page "Send messages from the cloud to your device with IoT Hub (.NET)" the instructions say to "Add the following method in the Main method, right before the Console.ReadLine() line:". However there is no Readline statement in the specified file. The file in question is "azure-iot-samples-csharp-master\iot-hub\Quickstarts\SimulatedDevice\Program.cs".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Fine grained device access for IoT Device Streams

A customer of ours would like to allow users to SSH to devices using the forthcoming Azure IoT Device Streams feature, but they don't want users to automatically have access to all devices registered in the IoT hub. This is for multitenant solutions where the same IoT hub is used for multiple tenants.

Please add a way to limit the access for service users to only access the device streams for devices which they have explicitly been given access to.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Inconsistent message properties between twin updates and telemetry messages

The properties of an IoT Hub message are inconsistent if I compare e.g. twin changes and telemetry messages:

Twin change excerpt:
    properties: {
    hubName: '<my-hub>',
    deviceId: '<my-device-id>',
    operationTimestamp: '2021-03-08T08:58:22.6455390Z',
    moduleId: '<my-module-id>',
    'iothub-message-schema': 'twinChangeNotification',
    opType: 'updateTwin'
    },

The module ID is provided of the twin which has been changed.
    Compared to a telemetry message, the properties are missing of the message.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Extend lifecycle events with connected and disconnected

Hey,

there're (from my perspective) four very important device lifecycle methods which are useful for every IoT scenario and solution.
    * CreateDeviceIdentity
    * DeleteDeviceIdentity
    both are currently implemented.

What I'm missing are following events:
    * DeviceConnected
    * DeviceDisconnected

This is possible through EventGrid as described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/iot-hub/iot-hub-event-grid#event-types

But it would be much more easier if these two events are additionally provided here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/iot-hub/iot-hub-devguide-identity-registry#device-and-module-lifecycle-notifications

I can't see any reason why all events are provided via EventGrid but are not provided via internal Message Routing (to the internal EventHub).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Increase throttle limit to allow for short burst speed messages per second during a day

While Azure Event hub can have thousands and million? of messages per second, the Azure IoT hub has a surprisingly low limitation on this.

-S1 has 12 msg/sec speed but allow 400.000 daily msg pr. unit
    -S2 has 120 msg/sec speed but allow 6.000.000 daily msg pr. unit
    -S3 has 6000 msg/sec speed but allow 300.000.000 daily msg pr unit.

Imagine an IoT solution where your devices normally sends 1 message every hour, but have the ability to activate a short "realtime" mode to send messages every second for about 2 minutes duration.

Example: 10.000 IoT devices:

Let's say 20%…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support NULL as the value of an object in the array in the device/module twin

It's not allowed the update the device twin as below...

{"a":[{"b":null}]}

I was expecting the object in the array should be an immutable entity. Therefore, the cloud service or the IoT SDK shouldn't look into or try to interpret the key/value of the object in the array but replacing the entire object instead. This is also based on our experience when we use other libraries/utility for things like this before.

It's also not mentioned anywhere on the doc site https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/iot-hub/iot-hub-devguide-device-twins#tags-and-properties-format

Reference issues to this
    1. C# SDK https://github.com/Azure/azure-iot-sdk-csharp/issues/1741
    2. IoT Edge https://github.com/Azure/iotedge/issues/4159#event-4321395394

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow for more granular access for IoT Hub Shared Access Policy

Currently if I have service which reads registered devices in IoT Hub using Shared Access Policy based connection string I do not have control over what group of devices the service have an access to.
    It would be helpful if I could limit policy to specific group of devices, for example to devices from specific enrollment gorup.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. job

Clarify or Implements. Does a direct method calling job await for devices to be "Connected" before trigger device's action? If answer is "no" could you please implement (maybe through a job config option)? It will very convenient to invoke a method on devices when they wakeup.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure IoT (Hub, DPS, SDKs)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base