Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for Spot VMs

Provide support for the more cost-efficient Spot VMs.
    Also brings it on par with VM creation process/capabilities in Azure portal/CLI.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Auto Start and Auto ShutDown Options

1] Considering we are creating VM in Labs say 20 VMs with 2 group accessing 10 VMS each but they want Specific VMs on Specific Date and Time to Be Auto-Start and Auto-Shutdown which were cost effective and time effective option as Lab Admin once he set this schedule he is not required to check Portal to Shutdonw on those days where VM arenot required to be in running State.As currently i have to manage those manually.
    2]Also Similar to Auto Shutdown Notification there is need to have same Functionality in Auto Start Notification so if i am required to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Speed up user lab VM reset by assigning an unassigned VM from the pool

When you reset a VM assigned to a user, it will delete the existing VM, create a new VM and then assign it to the user.

If there are unassigned VMs in the pool, please assign one of these to the user so that they can get back on immediately. There should be no need to wait for an additional VM to be added into the pool before it is assigned to a user.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Auto-shutdown is basically useless without auto-startup!

Adding auto-shutdown to production VMs could be interesting if there was an auto-startup! Pretty incredible to have to say it, really.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Show Which Labs Have an Active User Logged In

It would be useful for the virtual machine list to show which machine has a user actively logged in so as administrators/instructors we can know which machines can be stopped without interfering with a student's work.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make it more affordable for nonprofits

Nonprofits can't afford to pay $0.20/hour to run VMs for a library or classroom. For 10 machines to be running and used during lab hours, that's $1-2K/week. It's just way outside of their budgets.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. RDP Gateway Server

I need the ability to easily set up a lab with an RDP gateway server. I want to use labs in a classroom setting, but all but the primary ports (i.e. http, https, etc) are blocked by my IT department so there's no way to connect to the VMs. Being able to connect through an HTML5 client would also be beneficial.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Use existing reserved public IP address on VM creation

We have firewall policies on our local corporate network to prevent SSH and RDP access to external IP addresses. To access VMs created in Azure we use reserved IP address and create firewall exclusions on specific ports. We don't want to be creating firewall exclusions for every new VM (paperwork!).

1. We would like to be able to select from a list of reserved IP addresses on VM creation in DevTestLabs.

2. An alternative is to select an existing load balancer which already has the reserved IP bound to it as the public IP. NAT rules could then be used for VM…
    3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Networking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Artifact Dependencies

Allow artifacts to define dependencies of other artifacts. Example: Have a artifact that uses node.js, would like to be able to require Node.js artifact has been successfully run.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Artifacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Join Domain to list of mandatory Artifacts

Add Join Domain to list of mandatory Artifacts that can be applied to Windows VM's

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow tag inheritance on resources from a formula when deployed

Formula created in a DTL via ARM template should allow Tags to be defined in it - from that it would allow tag inheritance on resources from that formula is deployed

I.e Formula called "QAbox" Tagged with "Department : QA" Whenever that formula is deployed the resources should be tagged appropriately.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Postpone expiration date for individual VMs if needed

New users are in training for 2 weeks, but a few of them have some issue that forces them to be absent for a bit and they can't make up the time until after the machine's expiration date.

It would be nice to be able to Get-AzureRMDTLExpirationDate or something, assign that to a variable with a little .AddDays() action, and pass the new one into a Set-AzureRMDTLExpirationDate.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Need ability to sort VM's

I have multiple Dev Test Labs within my Software Development group and have 50+ VM's in each lab. We are constantly adding new VM's and removing used VM's. I need a way of sorting thru these, at the very least have it so we can show the VM names in ascending order. This would my job much easier.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow auto-shutdown and auto-startup to be events we can extend

I'm noticing a pattern in our labs that I find I would like to do some processing before auto-startup, and after auto-shutdown.

Would it make sense to make an auto-startup event source and a post-startup event source that we could tie into Event Grid, webhooks, etc.

I know that may be prescriptive, but I would definitely like to do some event processing on actions taken in the DevTest Lab.

It may be possible to key off the event log for the shutting down of a VM. If so, then I would just need a pre auto-startup event that is similar…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. We need to have auto shutdown to selected the days instead of everyday.

Currently, we can only set daily VM shutdown. We need to shutdown a VM based on a day. Example. Start on Monday and shutdown it by Friday.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. DevTest AutoStart policy cannot be tied to VM

While I can activate the Auto Start policy for VM's, I cannot find any way in the portal to associate that policy with my VM. I would assume this would get setup in the DevTest All Virtual Machines section, but that list of VM's is always empty.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Auto turn on and off with and without date

Would be great an interface that we could program the machines to turn on and off in a specific date and time, would help a lot in my savings.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Can I select multiple time in scheduled down time ? Like 2.00 pm & 8.00 pm

Can I select multiple time in scheduled down time ? Like 2.00 pm & 8.00 pm

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow us to customize columns in Overview of DevTest Labs

In the Overview of the DevTest Labs blade it'd be great if we could add and remove columns to the table.

For instance, I'd very much like to see the IP-address of the VM but it seems silly to request you to hard code this specific column.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Azure DevTest Lab, Cost Management

I'd like to be able to determine a usage by user or group resource limit in Azure Devtest-Lab, because to put this feature in production I have to limit the cost.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 5 7 9 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base