Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Weekend Auto-shutdown feature

Weekend Auto-shutdown feature

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support auto-start for Virtual Machines

Support auto-start from VM like you have Auto-shutdown, this will help users to reduce the cost when they did not want to run their business like can auto start at morning 8 AM and Auto shutdown at evening 8PM.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Custom auto start time per VM

We would like to be able to specify an auto start time for individual VMs similar to how we can pick an auto shutdown time. Currently the auto start time appears to be global for the Lab though I can allow individual VMs to opt in.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow mandatory artifacts with parameters set by lab admins

The new feature to have mandatory artifacts is great, but doesn't allow artifacts which require parameters, to keep the process simple.

It would be good if we could enable mandatory artifacts which do use parameters, provided the parameters have already been provided by the lab admins. This gives greater flexibility on the mandatory artifacts we can set up, but still keeps the VM creation process simple for the user.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Restrict users to DevTest Labs

How can I restrict ALL users to only see the DevTest Labs resources in the Azure portal, i.e. nothing else? My users keep on going into the Resource Groups created by DevTest for the VM's and trying to start their VM's which of course is not allowed, then create a helpdesk ticket because of that, you can imagine how frustrating that is... and it confuses the users to see all other resources deployed in the subscription.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. We have this on our backlog; however we don’t have a specific timeline for this yet. For now we advise on training lab users and sharing tips on pinning labs to your Azure dashboard so that they can stay within the context of the lab.

6. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Azure Backup Vault migration from a subscription to another

Azure Backup Vault migration from a subscription to another

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Suspend as alternative to shutdown

I wish it were possible to save the state of the virtual machine so I can continue were I left off with all windows open, half-completed processes still there etc. Similar to how one can close the lid on a laptop rather than shutting it off.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Auto-Shutdown - Mention Daylight Savings in the time / time zone settings area

So that we know whether or not we need to manually account for that, or not.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. VM auto shutdown if price threshold is reached

VM's should automatically shutdown or stopped in dealocatted state if the costing threshold is reached.

This can be a useful cost saving feature.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback.
    Currently we support webhook notifications when cost threshold is reached. We don’t shut the machine down directly as the user may get interrupted or lose important progress on the machine. The idea is to make the lab owner aware and let him/her take the necessary actions.
    Would sending a shutdown notification to the lab users be helpful in such a situation?
    Please let us know your thoughts on the same.

12. Add description to list of fields viewable and searchable in the "Add VM" pane.

In an environment where there are many custom images to choose from, it would be helpful to use the description field more fully. Making the data viewable and searchable will enable users to filter the list more effectively.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting the idea! We are planning to improve the user experience including users’ image discoverbility, but we don’t have an ETA at this point of time yet. For people who want to see the support sooner, please don’t hesitate to vote for it!

13. Allow to select the Resource Group for my VM/VHD image

When adding a new VM/VHD image to DevTest Lab, it as default creates a new Resource Group containing that VM image, network interface, Global IP etc.
    And that is also fine if you need the extra level of security. I some cases though, I just don´t need the extra overhead that these resource groups pose - would like to have everything in one and same resource group.
    In our company we typically use <Product/Application Name><Environment letter> as the naming for our resource groups. So if we can avoid it, we do not like all of these "extra" resource groups that…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Auto-scale down of App service

It will be very useful for application built to run in the PAAS environment to have a scaled down economical version of the PAAS in the DevTest labs

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for again your suggestion! I updated the title for this post to reflect the potential feature that can help control the cost of app service (since you already can spin up App Services through ARM templates in a lab today). Please don’t hesitate to let me know if this is different from what you want.

Addressing cost control for PaaS is on our roadmap. It has to be prioritized with other features, so we don’t have an ETA at this point of time. Meanwhile, would you mind sharing with us more ideas how you would like the scale-down to work with your PaaS resources (and which PaaS resource)?

15. Transfer VHD as part of ARM Template

Would it be possible to add the ability to transfer a VHD to the uploads folder as part of the ARM template. Ie. Specify a URI to a VHD in another storage account to transfer over.

Otherwise I nee to deploy 1 ARM template to create the lab, execute some powershell to transfer a VHD, then deploy another ARM template to create a custom image from the uploaded VHD.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback, Jacob! We are planning to simplify your work to create custom images from an external VHD, and we are in progress to come up with a solution for that. One of the ideas is to provide a PowerShell scripts that will copy the VHD and deploy an ARM template coming with it all at once, so the only thing you need to do is to run the PowerShell by passing some parameter values (e.g. URI to the VHD, etc.). Does it work with you? For your particular request, we will investigate and see how ARM template in general supports this kind of action. Thanks!

16. postpone or cancel auto shutdown

I have my VM set to shut down at 7PM, however I'd like an ability to skip the shutdown on a particular day, in case I am working late.
    Currently I have to delete the auto shutdown and enable it again once 7PM had passed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Set up auto-shutdown from Azure cloud shell

Set up auto-shutdown from Azure cloud shell.
    Can't find anything existing.
    Somethin like:
    az vm command with --set-autoshutdown --zone UTC --time 2:AM --reapeat true

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs -PowerShell and CLI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 'My Labs' Dashboard cards should display more information

The dashboard cards in labs only contains minimum information on the e.g.

LAB-TITLE
    lab description
    Max virtual machine count: 52
    Quota per user: 0 hours (Schedule only)

it does not even list the Lab Creator anywhere!
    it really needs to be better especially when end users have multiple labs from different creators, schedules etc.

It would be nice if the cards in the dashboard listed:
    The Lab creator - fetched from Graph with user image and mail address.
    The name of image in use, possibly an image logo
    The actual schedule (if configured)
    custom support link

The count of registered…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. It should be possible to check if the repository PAT is valid

In the repositories page, there is a list of artifacts repositories that are available to the lab. However, the list does not show if the PATs provided are valid or not (for example expired or have the wrong permissions).

If would be extremely useful to have a 'check connection' option, for example under the 3 dots, that would verify that the connection is setup correctly.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Artifacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Azure Bastion: DevTest Labs support

DevTest Labs users should have an option to use Azure Bastion to connect their VM when clicking "Connect" in DevTest Labs VM blade in Azure Portal.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base