Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Once you created a Custom Image, the base image is worthless. Please add a "Delete base image" checkbox to image can be deleted.

Once you created a Custom Image, the base image is pretty worthless and would in most cases be deleted.
    It would be nice with a checkbox "Delete base image when finished creating custom image" to the blade

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Set VM expiration policy at lab level

Setting VM expiration is helpful. Can you please provide the ability to define this as the policy at lab level along with VM level, similar to VM startup-shutdown policies? This will help us defining how long user can use a particular VM. It would be great if you can provide below options in policy:
    VM Expiration after particular duration: Example, VMs will be deleted after 30 days from its creation.
    Allow Opt-out at VM level

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Temporarily disable autoshutdown.

I love the feature, but sometimes, I want to run a calculation that might last for a few days. I'd love to be able to configure something like "turn off autoshutdown for 48 hours"
    As opposed to turning it off, then putting a few calendar events in my phone to remind me to go turn it back on again.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. host

Access entire lab via public FQDN.
    Be able to have a public hostname (rds.contoso.com) where you RDP to and it automatically drops you into a claimable VM in the lab pool.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. show vm cost on Allowed virtual machine sizes page

I would be perfect if vm cost can be optioned to show when choosing VM size on Allowed virtual machine sizes blade under Azure DTL policy.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Sort the list of custom images

I have a bunch of custom images in my lab. i want to be able to sort them so that i can see them in a particular order - the order i want, not the order you want.

Also i want additional fields. For instance, created date or last VM created date.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. ability to hide repository information

We need to share our labs and artifacts with many users outside of our team and also sometimes with external customers.
    As the repository is private and hosted on internal servers, for security reasons we would like ability to hide the repository source information for all the users. It would be nice if
    1. Go to repository option [click 3 dots against your repository] can be disabled.
    2. Ability to disable the click on selected repositories can be provided, so user cannot see repository details in configuration.

Thanks,
    Sachin

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion! There are some ways to solve these problems today: 1) for “go to repository” menu item from the three dots, you can control the permission at the repository level (i.e. don’t give users read permission to your repo), so that even if users click that item, they will get access deny when trying to access the repo. 2) to disallow users to see repo details, you can create a custom role and remove the read permission to the repo details from the built-in DevTest Labs User role. Do these solutions work with you? If not, could you explain the reason so that we can design the right solution for you?

10. Anti-malware installation

It would be great if, as part of provisioning a new VM, you could specify that Microsoft Anti-Malware (or other products) is to be installed as well. Current work-around is to push it out afterwards from Security Center but this allows for a little too much human error

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Provide onetime startup instead of regular scheduled auto-start

Sometimes I need an instance just for Today, and tomorrow. I would like to be able to add 1 or more "one time" auto-start commands that would allow me to auto-start just for those days. eg. It's monday and I know i need an instance on Tue and Wed - so, i'd like to put in a one-time start for Tue AM/Time then another for Wed AM/time. But still have it respect that auto-shutdown policy.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow for greater variety of auto-shutdown schedules

Allow for greater variety of auto-shutdown schedules

E.g.:
    - multiple times per day;
    - various days in the week;
    - weekends;
    - recurring dates;
    - one-time; etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Copying custom images from one DTLab to another

Due to the RBAC role hard limit of 2000 per subscription, we find ourselves creating new subscription and new DTLabs as a work around. There is not a straight forward way for us to copy custom images created in the old DTLabs to the new ones. It would be nice if there is a way to just copy custom images without going through multiple steps of spinning up a new VM and sysprep it and turn it back to a VHD image again, just so we can copy it to the new DTLab.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow mandatory artifacts with parameters set by lab admins

The new feature to have mandatory artifacts is great, but doesn't allow artifacts which require parameters, to keep the process simple.

It would be good if we could enable mandatory artifacts which do use parameters, provided the parameters have already been provided by the lab admins. This gives greater flexibility on the mandatory artifacts we can set up, but still keeps the VM creation process simple for the user.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Restrict users to DevTest Labs

How can I restrict ALL users to only see the DevTest Labs resources in the Azure portal, i.e. nothing else? My users keep on going into the Resource Groups created by DevTest for the VM's and trying to start their VM's which of course is not allowed, then create a helpdesk ticket because of that, you can imagine how frustrating that is... and it confuses the users to see all other resources deployed in the subscription.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback. We have this on our backlog; however we don’t have a specific timeline for this yet. For now we advise on training lab users and sharing tips on pinning labs to your Azure dashboard so that they can stay within the context of the lab.

17. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Azure Backup Vault migration from a subscription to another

Azure Backup Vault migration from a subscription to another

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Suspend as alternative to shutdown

I wish it were possible to save the state of the virtual machine so I can continue were I left off with all windows open, half-completed processes still there etc. Similar to how one can close the lid on a laptop rather than shutting it off.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base