Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Auto Shutdown warning

Change it so it initiates the windows shutdown command with a delay and notification on it; eg shutdown /s /t 900 /c "Azure Auto Shutdown"

Then if you are actively using the machine the user will be warned (a popup will appear) AND the user have the option to cancel the shutdown ("shutdown /a").

Also having the ability to send an email notification would be helpful.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback.
    Currently a user receives an auto shutdown notification either via email or a webhook which also includes the ability to wither delay or skip shutdown. The feature for having in machine notification via popups is in the backlog with no ETA.
    For anyone who want to see this happen, please don’t hesitate to vote for it.
    I will update this post for further updates.

2. Automatically deallocate VMs that may just be stopped.

Add a catchall for VMs that may be stopped, but not de-allocated, to be automatically de-allocated when the specified automatic shutdown time comes. Therefore, saving the end-user some dollars.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

need-feedback  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Export Template" function in DevTest Labs

The functions and settings of DevTest Labs are expanding on a weekly basis. As this resource is getting more and more complex, we should be able to export the lab, after configuring it. Currently, this is possible only while the lab is being created and only for the Shutdown schedule. There are now several settings, like available gallery images, cost metrics and autostart that should be available for template deployment.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting this idea. This idea has been added into our backlog. We don’t have an ETA for it at this point of time though, because it has to be prioritized with all the other items in the backlog. For people who do want to see it sooner, please don’t hesitate to add your votes for it. Thanks!

4. Auto Shutdown Should let us choose specific date and time

Auto Shutdown Should let us choose specific date and time

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Auto-Shutdown

The VM auto-shutdown feature would be more useful to me if I could indicate a time for it to start again.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Can you also provide shutdown and start-up options

Help users save money on VM's they aren't using, can you provide start-up option for VM's ?

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Auto Start in a simple way to execute!

An auto start make do necessity for more simple way in automation.
    and don´t need hard development scripts to else do it.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ability to hide custom vhds from 'choose a base' list while creating VMs

As admin, I create formulas so that users can quickly create VMs with all settings mentioned in artifacts. But while creating VMs, as Formula and custom VHDs both are listed, it creates confusion and users often ends up selecting custom VHDs which sounds more familiar. Would it be possible to provide an option to list/show selected custom images VHDs [may be a check box as in the case of marketplace images].

Thanks,
    Sachin

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Attach an existing disk not created in Lab

I copied VHD of a Data disk from a nother Lab in a different Locale (Azure Region) into the datadisks container, but it was not available as an existing disk I could attach to my Lab VM. I am attempting to clone a lab in East US to a Lab in West US. I can copy the images of the VM from one lab to another across regions, but right now I can't see how to clone the additional data drives from one lab to another.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! Attaching an existing disk not created in the Labs is doable today through ARM templates. However, we understand the experience is not ideal and plan to get it better. I don’t have an ETA though, given it needs to be prioritized with all the other items in the backlog. If anyone wants to see this feature sooner, please don’t hesitate to add your vote. Thanks!

10. Display who has claimed a Virtual Machine in the "All virtual machines" list.

We would like to be able to see who has claimed which virtual machine in our DevTest Lab.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Surface Dev Test Labs capability in Azure Stack also. It will make MAS very widely used & approachable & rapidly expand MAS adoption

Please make Dev Test Labs capability in Azure Stack also. It will make Microsoft Azure Stack very widely used & approachable, and as well as rapidly expand MAS adoption, thereby making our Hybrid Cloud platform build an impressive lead over the competition.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow naming of network on creation rather than randomly generated

Where names are to be generated (network names etc) the current DevTest pumps out one based on the DevTest name + a number ideally I'd want the option to select / configure network or at the very least specify the name of the network myself.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve got it added into the backlog, and it will be prioritized with other features. So we don’t have an ETA at this point of time. Meanwhile, if you could share with us what kind of naming you would like to use and why the default one doesn’t work, it will certainly help us with the right design. For anyone who wants to see it happens sooner, please don’t hesitate to vote for it.

13. Provide the ability to customise the Classroom Labs user Portal

It would be great to be able to customise the User portal for the Classroom labs, maybe per classroom lab basis, where we can establish a nice workshop title banner, do custom branding etc.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Limit the use of VM in the LAB with hours count limits (Universities lab scope)

Universities are start to use DevTest Lab as new platform for classroom LABs and students LABs.
    The MAIN request is have a time limits on the VM assigned to students, only in this way can controll students a prices of LABs.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to use shared image gallery in Formula

We need the ability to be able to use a shared image as a base in a formula. Currently we can build a VM from a shared image within the devtestlab but shared image gallery images do not show up as a image you can use in a formula.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Be able to share images\formulas between devtestlabs instances

We have a need to create multiple devtestlab instances and we want a set of custom formulas to be able to be used between then all. Right now when I want to create a new DTL I have to copy a set of custom VHDs in order to create images and then the formulas. Also if I need to update an image I have to do it across multiple DTLs. This is time consuming as well as an unneeded use of storage as we are storing the same image across multiple DTLs. It would be nice to share formulas but…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support custom inbound Nat rules when using "shared public IP"

When using a sharedpublic IP you cant add an inbound Nat rules on an DevTest Lab ARM template it only lets you have an RDP rule, deployement fails with the error of it not being allowed - if adding something such as the below:

"sharedPublicIpAddressConfiguration": {

"inboundNatRules": [
    {
    "transportProtocol": "tcp",
    "backendPort": 80
    }]

Please allow for other ports such as HTTP and WINRM....

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enable DTL service principal as defined role that can be added to KeyVault for ARM deployments

My labs users requested that they have a DTL template that installs a set of certificates to the "My" store and enables them to leverage them when the virtual machine is created. When I trigger the "base" creation using my custom ARM template via VSTS git, I encounter an error with the 'Microsoft.KeyVault/vaults/deploy/action' permission. It appears that DTL uses a deployment role that does not inherit my permissions to the KeyVault and therefore fails. Is it possible to create an AAD role/service principal for DTL activities so I can whitelist in KeyVault?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. shutdown-computevm resource does not have delete option

should have a way to clear the microsoft.devtestlab/schedules from the resource page when auto-shutdown of VM is disabled or no longer in use.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Hybrid Use Benefit (HUB) Support

Could you please add support for custom images brought from on-premises to take part in the Hybrid Use Benefit (HUB) program?
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/hybrid-use-benefit/

Thank you!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base