Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. auto shutdown email notification needs also webhook field to be filled

Cannot add email address for VM auto shutdown.
    After switching "yes" at "Send notification before auto-shutdown - filling only the "Email address" field correctly -
    while "Webhook URL" is empty -
    the "Save" button does not get enabled - it is still disabled.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is not a known issue. Ideally, user should be able to enter the email address only and click the Save button. This may be a bug we may need to investigate with your lab as we are not able to reproduce it on our end.
    Are you still experiencing this issue? If so can you please create a support ticket with us so that we can look into your lab.
    Link: https://portal.azure.com/?feature.customPortal=false#blade/Microsoft_Azure_Support/HelpAndSupportBlade/overview

2. Use a single resource group for arm deployments

DTL now offers the ability to use a single resource group for all VMs. It would be nice to extend this to arm based environments too. This for easier policy management

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Claim VM using a specific tag

"az lab vm claim" command in CLI should allow claiming of VMs that tagged with a specific tag:
    az lab vm claim -tag XYZ <rest of params>

This would be useful when VMs are created in different ways, and then tagged appropriately. For example I might create 50 VMs with a certain version of my app, and tag them as "V1", and 50 more VMs with a newer version of my app tagged as "V2". And users should be able to claim a VM from any of the two versions by specifying the tag in the command.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

need-feedback  ·  2 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Having the right to stop/start a VM should imply also having the right to schedule automatic shutdown.

It makes little sense to me to separate the two rights for the same VM. It would simplify administration if I didn't have to contact a manager just to not have the VM suddenly die when I need to work late.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The schedule is applied at two levels viz. lab level and VM level.
    Depending on the policy applied by your lab owner, you as a lab user can modify the schedule on your machine.
    The policies include:
    - Lab user can modify schedule and/or opt out
    - Lab user can modify schedule but cannot opt out
    - Lab user cannot modify schedule nor opt out

If you are not able to modify the schedule, it might be because of the policy your lab owner has set on the lab.

Hope this helps!

6. Way to change auto-shutdown settings programmatically per-instance (rather than lab wide)

Currently you can set the auto-shutdown settings on a lab-wide basis either manually or in an ARM template that creates a DevTest Labs instance. However, when you create environments using an ARM template base which creates multiple VM's, they all have the auto-shutdown settings of the DevTest Lab.

If the Lab policy allows the user to change the Auto-Shutdown settings, then you can manually change them on a per-VM basis through the UI, but there doesn't appear to be a way of changing those settings programmatically (either in the ARM template that creates the environment or through PowerShell after creation).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - ARM Environments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. would be nice to get a "power this machine now" - link, with notification mail. to allow for it to shut down and have a handy up link.

would be nice to get a "power this machine now" - link, with notification mail. to allow for it to shut down and have a handy up link.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Is there is possibility to define create a pool of Auto shutdown VM's and set shut down if idle, but start when load exceed 50%

Is there is possibility to define create a pool of Auto shutdown VM's and set shut down if idle, but start VM when load exceeds on any server in pool by 50-60%

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Give permissions to Manage Resource Groups Created by VMs in DevTest Lab

When Creating a VM in Dev Test Labs they are created in new Resource Groups. Since Resource Groups can not contained within each other, they are created "parallel" to the Resoruce Group the DevTest Lab is contained in.

The newly created Resoruce Groups should automatically have the same Users with the same Roles assigned to them, so i can manage and configure the RBAC on one Resource Group containing the DevTest Lab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Bug found in Azure Pipelines Agent - DevTest Labs

To reproduce, create a new Windows 10 VM in DevTest Labs with an ampersand (&) in the password.

Add the Azure Pipelines Agent to configure an agent in Azure DevOps.

Enter details in the artifact configuration pane, and specify the VM user/password for logon. Use the saved secret option.

Notice that the pipeline agent fails with the following message:
    Testing agent connection.
    2019-01-24 14:36:46Z: Settings Saved.
    ERROR: Invalid windows credentials entered. Try again or ctrl-c to quit

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. VM size explanation column

Would be great to have a description field for VM size list to explain customers the use case of specific vm varieties

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Value of input parameter _artifactsLocation should be set with a trailing '/' when provisioning a lab from a custom ARM template

Using uri function (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-group-template-functions-string#uri) in the ARM template is not possible because it truncates the end of parameter _artifactsLocation:

Currently Azure sets parameter artifactsLocation to a value like this: https://.blob.core.windows.net/artifacts/YYY/ZZZ
    As a result, function uri truncates the end (ZZZ) and returns https://
    .blob.core.windows.net/artifacts/YYY
    This prevents to call nested resources using function uri
    To fix this, artifactsLocation value should have a trailing "/" like this: https://***.blob.core.windows.net/artifacts/YYY/ZZZ/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - ARM Environments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Better logging for artifacts

I'm trying to use the "Run Powershell" artifact to execute two lines of Powershell. When I run these on the command line in my VM it takes about 3 seconds to execute. I've been waiting over 15 minutes for my VM to finish creating in the portal, and there is no way to see the status of my script.

Can you please make this a bit more transparent to the user? Like maybe post the output of the script somewhere in the logs? I looked everywhere but couldn't find any clues as to what's going wrong with my script. A…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. It is very confused that a scheduled shutdown at 19:00 existing and DO NOT notice the users.

It is very confused that a scheduled shutdown at 19:00 existing and DO NOT notice the users.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. idrac

I work for Dell, and it would be more than wonderful if there could be a method of getting DevTest labs to connect to, and work with, our iDRAC lifecycle controllers. These are the out-of-band interfaces for PowerEdge servers. Rather than have 200+ different labs around the globe, for each team to work on, it would be ideal to setup something much bigger via Azure DevTest labs. Probably worth a discussion. Could become a great template for other hardware manufacturers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. we need daylight options in shutdown's blade

we need daylight options in shutdown's blade

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make additional steps available in "Configure as Code" pipelines

If you want to run Ruby Build and Test Tasks, you can choose "Configuration as Code ." There is only the option to set up a YAML file. But i

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Adding VNET ResourceId back to VNET properties page

We notice that the VNET ResourceId has been removed from the VNET properties blade. We use the ResourceId as one of the parameters for DTLab creation. There is a workaround to obtain the ResourceId but it takes longer and time consuming.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base