Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Restrictions on the number of VMs should apply to VMs within Environments

Environments deployed within DevTest Labs from ARM templates held in a repository do not seem to be restricted by the "Virtual machines per user" or "Virtual machines per lab" settings.

This means that in labs with environment templates containing VMs, users can deploy as many VMs as they wish, even if number of VM restrictions are set on the lab.
    These restriction settings should apply to VMs within Environments too.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Can we have function like Windows Task Scheduler for Auto-shutdown and Auto-start?

If we have this function, we can configure for any day and time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Do not auto shut down if a user is logged into the machine

This is very frustrating. I've lost work on several occasions as a result of this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. cloud-init support in ARM template

Please add support for feeding Linux VM's cloud-init with customData using Microsoft.DevTestLab/labs/virtualmachines template, just as seen in an osProfile object in Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines template.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. An easy to use pause or sleep function so I don't get charged for service at night and wake up in the morning.

An easy to use pause or sleep function so I don't get charged for service at night and wake up in the morning.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support network override when copying machine between labs

I'm migrating users from a DevTest Lab in one subscription to another subscription with a change in network topology.

The first lab provides connections through a public ip address, load balancer and NAT to the lab machines. The second lab connects to a private subnet and connections are through a firewall and jump server.

The new Import procedure fails because there isn't a shared ip address in the destination lab. Could the import process accomodate moving a vm and placing it on to associated lab network even if the configuration is different?

The error returned is:

NoMatchingSubnetFoundWithSharedIpAllowed : No matching…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Provide a way to reset VM specific auto-shutdown to factory defaults

As a manager of a lab I need to reset all of my VMs to reset to the factory defaults for auto-shutdown. I had some VMs that were overriden on the defaults and I cannot find a way to reset them or delete my override schedule and notification.

I tried deleting values, disabling auto-shutoff, re-enabling, etc. In all instances, I could not seem to get the auto-shutdown lab defaults to return.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you help us understand why you would like to return to defaults?

Currently, users can override the lab shutdown.
    If you would like to enforce your schedule as the schedule for all lab VMs, you can do so using the Auto shutdown policy blade and selecting ‘Users have no control..’

Does that help?

8. Add option to claim any VM based on a formula

When different formulas are used to create VMs in the same lab they may have the same base image but have different artifacts applied. When this is setup for different roles it would be helpful to have a "Claim Any" option where you could first choose the "Formula" used to make the claimable VM before claiming one.

For example, imagine two formulas based on Windows 2016 Server. One is a .NET developer and one is a Java developer. If those were the formula names then when the lab user goes into the lab they could claim any VM based on…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Continuous delivery should work with preview versions like .NET 2.1 preview

There is an option by using extension to use .NET 2.1 preview for app services but the same/similar option should be there for continuous delivery in build agents as well to test .NET 2.1 preview etc. with CI.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Billing notifications

At present the cost integrations are via a single webhook. Would it be possible to surface cost details in Monitor so that alerts can be generated based on more specific thresholds and destinations?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Need to have exception when running auto-stop

Want to have exception that when my CPU is 80% busy duing 5 time minute windows then stop the fuction of auto-shutdown.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Autoshutdown, should give me a popup on the actual machine, with an message will shutdown automatically in x.. mins. Press 'N' to delay

Autoshutdown, should give me a popup on the actual machine, with a message Machine will shutdown automatically in x.. mins. Press 'N' to delay by 5 min.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add multiple artifacts using the Ctrl key

Allow the user to select multiple artifacts using the Ctrl key when adding instead of requiring each one to be added individually

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Auto-shutdown default state should be configurable for a cluster

Production users will most likely want auto-shutdown off by default for VMs within a cluster, but development users will likely want auto-shutdown on by default so they don't get a surprise in the morning when all their paltry credits are burnt through.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Need user friendly natural language command shell to Azure Portal.

It would be helpful to issue user friendly commands. For example: typing "price" would bring the price of current config (estimation) or deployment (kinda chatbot).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Email and suspend shutdown for a group of VMs in one email

In case that you have multiple VMs running and auto-shutdown enabled you now receive a notification per VM and if you want to suspend shutdown you need to address each notification to choose the 1 or 2 hour suspend time.
    It would be nice if auto-shutdown could be enabled for a group and have the option to suspend that whole group through one notification.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I would like to see a Puppet Apply Artifact in the marketplace with importing manifest

In the list of available Artifacts, include a Puppet Apply Artifact that allows for parameters pointing to Puppet Manifests.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback.
    We do have docs on authoring your own artifacts and having them in a private artifact repo. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/lab-services/devtest-lab-artifact-author)
    We also accept contributions to our public artifact repo if the artifact being authored has a common use case.
    Feel free to submit a PR here incase you already have something: https://github.com/Azure/azure-devtestlab

For those who would like to see this artifact sooner, please vote for it.

18. It would be nice to have a simple way to also have start/stop vm during off hours not start up on Saturday or Sunday.

For those VMs that only need to run between certain hours from Monday to Friday, it would be beneficial to have the lab start/stop VM process allow the selection of certain days that the VM should not boot up.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option to manage maximum file download time for an artifact

I am getting below error for one of my custom artifact as it tires to download 800mb executable. It would be good if we can get an option
    modify the download timeout option.

The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'. VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'customScriptArtifact-183362431'. Error message: "Failed to download all specified files. Exiting. Error Message: Exceeded maximum file download time".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Warp Bloomberg

Test feedback from WARP overview call.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)