Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add lab option to show either formula name or base image name for VMs that are claimable or on the my virtual machine list.

When setting up reusable formulas for claimable VMs in bulk the list of VMs shows the base image not the formula used to create the VM. This make it hard for lab users to know which VM to choose if they have different artifacts applied. Either display the formula/image name picked as the base when creating the VM or provide an option to display one or the other.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. As a DevLab owner allow me to configure VM notifications to be set to VM creator.

As a lab owner I want to enable autoshutdown for VMs by default but I cannot. Why not? I can't because I cannot turn on send notifications without an email address. In the lab configuration there should be an option to default this value to the creators email address.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Billing notifications

At present the cost integrations are via a single webhook. Would it be possible to surface cost details in Monitor so that alerts can be generated based on more specific thresholds and destinations?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add an option for public load balanced ip.

It would be nice to have an option to set up a load balanced external ip. As it is now one have to choose shared ip for the new VMs (the only way to get the new VMs in an availability set in the devtest portal), delete the NAT rules and modify the load balancer.

Another solution would be to have an option to let new VMs be created in an availability set also when you select private IPs. Then one could set up the load balancers afterwards.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Provide easy way to access anonymous user.

I think that provide environment to anonymous many user for education.
    But now we must need register Azure AD.
    So I want to easy way to access anonymous user.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add tag-based Auto-shutdown feature

Ability to auto-shutdown VM's that have a specific tag, so that it can apply to multiple machines instead of having the need to set auto-shutdown on each of them..

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Option to add Annotations

We should be able to add comments for the reason of the shut down and which can be seen when the VM is accessed in Azure portal

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Schedule using Crontab formnet

if we can configure shutdown in crontab format
    ex:

• *   *    *        command to be executed

| | | | |
    | | | | +----- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0)
    | | | +------- month (1 - 12)
    | | +--------- day of month (1 - 31)
    | +----------- hour (0 - 23)
    +------------- min (0 - 59)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Autoshutdown

want to shutdown vm on daily basis, so please provide an option of calendar

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Option to auto shutdown the Virtual Gateway.

The large amount of my traffic is coming from the Virtual gateway even when the VM is turn off and the clients are disconnected.

We need an option to shutdown the VG connection

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Customize with region/language for I18N bug investigation

I need a VM installed with Turkish windows settings/region/language. I did not managed to do that with available images/artifacts.
    Is that possible?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add artifact for IIS

Sometime many of azure engineers test Azure VM by installing default IIS and deploying test app or default app.
    So it will be time saving in many scenario if you add artifact for IIS configuration on windows serer.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Pass 'parameters' as on object to powershell

The runCommand commandToExecute becomes very messy when we need to pass a large number of parameters. Please add a function to pass the 'parameters' collection to powershell as an object. (JSON or powershell)
    In our powershell we could then access $parameters.Name.Value
    $parameters.Name.type

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. auto startup/shutdown when opening visual studio project

It should be possible to tie up start/stopping of virtual machines to development in addition to time-based.

e.g set up one or more VMs which are a testbed for a project automatically turn on once a Visual Studio project requiring them opens, even if it's before the default startup time (got to work early)
    If I stay working after hours, the same VMs would stay up longer as long as they detect my Visual Studio is running and not idle.

I imagine a "Visual Studio VM watchdog" local service being started by Visual Studio. It would be a very small…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Update Dtl github with "enviroinment" ARM templates as shown in the Connect 2016 demo.

After connect 2016, I am unable to locate an example ARM template containing a multi-machine deployment that can be deployed into an Azure DevTest Lab. Also an example of how to deploy this via the VSTS deployment tasks would be useful.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Create formulas for custom ARM templates as well as VM bases

It would be useful to use formulas to auto-gen parameters for ARM template deployments for PaaS services like SQL Azure, KeyVault etc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion. It’s current in our backlog and need to be prioritized with other feature work. So we don’t have an ETA at this point of time. If you want to see it’s done sooner, please don’t hesitate to vote! Meanwhile, we also have another solution in the backlog that would allow you to select and load parameter values from multiple .parameter.json file with your ARM templates in the repo, when creating an environment in the Labs. Does it solve this problem?

17. View more DTL custom image attributes - blob fullname; created; last used; tags

My current pain point is how to identify what blob correlates to my current dev test labs image, an easy solution would be to expose the blob path/ name in the image details pane. Beyond that, seeing the created, frequency of use, tags and utilization (i.e. how much of my ~136GB container is "full" within image).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to save Artifacts

It would be nice to be able to save an artifact state to be reusable. Such as setting up a PowerShell artifact with links to files and parameters.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting the suggestion. In order to help us deliver the right solution, could you please share more context about this? Are you talking about adding your own artifacts or adding artifacts in a specific state? If it’s the former, you have the ability to add your own custom artifacts so you can add them to a VM base: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devtest-lab/devtest-lab-artifact-author

19. Allow connections from non-Microsoft RDP clients (e.g. rdesktop on Linux) or add documentation to explain how

i've been unable to connect to DevTest Labs VMs from rdesktop or any other non-Microsoft RDP client (Remote Desktop on the Mac seems okay). This appears to be something to do with certificates, but I can't find anything out about it. It would be good if there were some instructions on how to do this. Also, it'd be nice if the downloadable RDP configs actually worked and didn't need editing.

Having said that, when it works, it's AMAZING - beautifully fluid and fast and for the first time allows me to use a remotely hosted VM as a development machine,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)