Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Notification for lab timing

If we set any schedule for any lab what is the process of enabling the notification before time is up

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Is instructor view possible

Any way to share my view with other user or instructor or possible to arrange remote access

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Make Feedback link for new users go somewhere other than here!

First use of Azure, got a new VM, it suggests I set up "auto-shutoff", when I try to do, but the save button is grayed out, and when I try to leave page, it suggests I'll lose my edits.
    So, I click the "Feedback" link, which brings me to this "Lab Services" forum, where everyone I see with the same question is barked at to file a support request. I just want to know why "Save" is grayed out. I've used web pages before where once you make a change, the "Save" button appears or changes color. Azure doesn't do…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. restrict lab access based on user account for labs that have multiple classes but limited SW licenses.

We need to limit access to a lab when there are several classes scheduled per day but each class of students also needs to have after-class time, meanwhile we have a limited number of licenses. eg: stata azure lab...three classes of 20 students each. classes are scheduled 9-11am, 1-3pm and 4-6pm. we only have 20 stata licenses. and as well, students need to have a couple of hours of after-class access. limiting access based only on a computer schedule is not granular enough.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bastion support for Classroom Labs

Similar to DevTest Labs, and perhaps even more important, Classroom Labs should support Bastion Host or any other mechanism that gets around port restrictions. Students should be able to get to their virtual machines without having to ask an IT department to grant access through their firewall to non-standard ports (which gets denied more often than not anyway).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Email Notification when a schedule is added for a LAB

When a new schedule is added for a LAB the invited recipients should be getting an email on the day of the schedule with the information about the Lab timing and other custom message.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Instead of shutdown why we can't use hibernate option

On Auto shutdown of VM we might loss the current work we are doing, instead of shut down can't we use Hibernate option.

So that there will be less chances of losing unsaved work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. auto-shutdown VM's when not logged in or not in use for specified time

As a developer I would test my product in virtual machines and left the virtual machine in on state for couple of days but I would have logged out of the machine. So It would be great if you could provide an option to aut-shutdown the machine when it is not logged in or it is idel for specified time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. User Groups for Scheduling

It would be useful to implement user groups to help with classroom lab management and managing costs.

Ideally the lab administrator could assign user groups through the Users screen. From there, user groups could be applied to the lab schedule to control which schedule applies to a given user group, thereby allowing central administration of a single class with multiple instances and controlling which schedule entry applies to which user group to limit potential costs.

Scenario:
    I have three instances of a class (each with different users). It would be useful to be able to have all of those users…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. "VM boştayken t süresi sonunda kapansın" diye bir özellik ve yönetebileceğim kolay bir arayüz olmasını isterim.

"VM boştayken (CPU, RAM, HDD t0 süresinde kullanılmıyorsa) t1 süresi sonunda kapansın" diye bir özellik ve yönetebileceğim kolay bir arayüz olmasını isterim.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make it easy to set up auto shutdown.

Make it easy to set up auto-shutdown.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Upload FOLDER Option on FileShare

Hi All,

Once we Setup File Share on Storage Account i would like to have options to Upload FOLDERS along with Files.
    If i Map this File Share on any VM and i need to copy across Folders which might be software installation folder containing 40+ files and 15 Folders.
    It will be handy if we have FOLDER Upload option enabled.

Cheer's
    VB

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. DevTest Labs Selective Option for Claiming VMs - Would like to an option to Select or Select ALL option to Claim VMs

With Cost Factor in Consideration i create say 20 VMs for particular Task in Claim section .
    Now for instance i need to create 20 more VM's and i am required to Claim all 40 VM's
    1] Looking for SELECT OR SELECT ALL Options to CLAIM these VMS.

2] Second option is When i Claim 40 VMs by default i need them in DeAllocate State and not in Running State as i might be prepping for Next Day Schedule where these VM would be required to Start.
    3] Also During CLAIM Process you can ADD option for De-Allocate or START…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Give the ability to assign Lab Admin through Teacher portal

It would be great to give the teachers the ability to give other teachers admin access to particular labs in the azure labs admin portal, otherwise this needs to be done in Azure Portal through RBAC roles.

A lab account can have multiple labs and the lab creator role works well but for teachers who don't need to create labs but still be an admin, there's a role gap for this use case.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Show virtual machine total running time/usage in virtual machine view

Teacher's want to see the full running time a student runs their lab including scheduled time and out of hours to see if they're actually active and running the labs.

In the virtual machine view, it only shows the quota time used. This is helpful but not helpful when the student just runs the lab during the scheduled time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Save button not available on this page after filling out form.

When I fill out the form on the auto-shutdown page, you should make the save button available to click.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. DevTest Labs should honor "Exclude from latest" flag of SIG versions

On creating DevTest Labs VMs, choosing "Latest" image version from a shared image gallery definition is actually end up using the version last added to it, regardless of "Exclude from latest" flag of that version.

This behavior is quite inconvenient when we need to test versions in development for DevTest Labs. Please honor "Exclude from latest" flag of versions, just like it does for ordinary VMs outside Labs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Integration to add new students automatically

For on-demand classes it would be useful to be able to add students automatically via integrations such as Zappier, Email, etc. instead of having to log in manually and add them afterwards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base