Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create formulas for custom ARM templates as well as VM bases

It would be useful to use formulas to auto-gen parameters for ARM template deployments for PaaS services like SQL Azure, KeyVault etc

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion. It’s current in our backlog and need to be prioritized with other feature work. So we don’t have an ETA at this point of time. If you want to see it’s done sooner, please don’t hesitate to vote! Meanwhile, we also have another solution in the backlog that would allow you to select and load parameter values from multiple .parameter.json file with your ARM templates in the repo, when creating an environment in the Labs. Does it solve this problem?

2. View more DTL custom image attributes - blob fullname; created; last used; tags

My current pain point is how to identify what blob correlates to my current dev test labs image, an easy solution would be to expose the blob path/ name in the image details pane. Beyond that, seeing the created, frequency of use, tags and utilization (i.e. how much of my ~136GB container is "full" within image).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Ability to save Artifacts

It would be nice to be able to save an artifact state to be reusable. Such as setting up a PowerShell artifact with links to files and parameters.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting the suggestion. In order to help us deliver the right solution, could you please share more context about this? Are you talking about adding your own artifacts or adding artifacts in a specific state? If it’s the former, you have the ability to add your own custom artifacts so you can add them to a VM base: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devtest-lab/devtest-lab-artifact-author

4. Allow connections from non-Microsoft RDP clients (e.g. rdesktop on Linux) or add documentation to explain how

i've been unable to connect to DevTest Labs VMs from rdesktop or any other non-Microsoft RDP client (Remote Desktop on the Mac seems okay). This appears to be something to do with certificates, but I can't find anything out about it. It would be good if there were some instructions on how to do this. Also, it'd be nice if the downloadable RDP configs actually worked and didn't need editing.

Having said that, when it works, it's AMAZING - beautifully fluid and fast and for the first time allows me to use a remotely hosted VM as a development machine,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Default view

When you go into DevTest Labs you need the default display to be all vm's - not an overview of the ones you created. Tricked us a couple of times that you have "Overview", "My virtual machines" and "All virtual machines". It's a shared env. where you have resources, they should not be bound by member and who has created them. Maybe we just have a different "use case" than what MS came up with? Any feedback/thoughts would be appreciated! :) Otherwise a setting where you could set the default display to members of that devtest labs could also work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting the feedback! It’s definitely a valid scenario, while DevTest Labs hasn’t optimized for that. Meanwhile, you can pin the “All virtual machine” blade to your Azure dashboard, so that next time when you access the lab through the pinned tile on your dashboard, you will access the “All virtual machine” list immediately. Does it work for you?

7. Add default NSG to either Lab subnet or VMs as they are created

It seems like VMs created in the Lab do not have an NSG defined. I believe this means that there are no blocks to any ports inboud from the Internet to the Lab VMs. I know that I can RDP to my Lab VM although no NSG is allowing it. I think this sets up a sub-optimal security posture. Would it not be better to add a default NSG to the Lab subnet which allows RDP and SSH?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting the request, Steve. DevTest Labs allow you to add an existing VNET from the subscription to be used in the Labs, which means that you can create your VNET with subnets where NSG is applied in your subscription, and then use that VNET in your labs. Does it work with you?

8. Loadbalancer STATIC shared IP

Use of static IP for sharing a single public IP's By Lab VM's.
    The current shared IP option is a good start, but constantly changing public IP's are not suitable for external whitelising and working with firewall rules.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Networking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. like Auto-Shutdown we also add Auto-Start scheduler

like Auto-Shutdown we also add Auto-Start scheduler

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Define Up Time Range

VMs at this point allow only Daily Shutdown time. You should allow an UP Time range also. Helps keep a running schedule with weekends Shutdown etc. or allow a day wise schedule. Reduces the logistics.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. More options of virtual machine size and access other port

Are there any plans to add more options of virtual machine size same as the options of the DevTest Labs, we feel it too high specifications for a Linux terminal.

Currently, the small size is 2 cores, 3.5GB RAM and cost of USD 0.20/hr. If there will be lesser specifications which also lower the cost. The current setup of Lab Services assumes that you're using GUI or particularly on Windows.

Hope there is an option to tunnel a specific port(s) not just ssh and rdp. If we make web services (80,443) that too can be accessible to that option. Another…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Accessing one lab pc by multiple users

Is there any way to handle one PC by multiple people or managing one project in one machine by multiple people?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. How to prepare a practicing ethical hacking lab

How to prepare an idol hacking environment for practicing ethical hacking.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Build network lab in Azure lab service

I want The virtual lab should include additional features such virtual switches, firewalls and GNS3 simulators to facilitate topology architecture (Network Infrastructure). How to build these up?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Restrict Lab Access

How to prepare a scheduler so that the students can't access the lab out of his scheduled time. How to restrict the user entry automatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Notification for lab timing

If we set any schedule for any lab what is the process of enabling the notification before time is up

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Is instructor view possible

Any way to share my view with other user or instructor or possible to arrange remote access

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. How to build new machine image from existing imagge

We want copy Lab image or copy particular machine so that we can use that image to build new machine or lab

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make Feedback link for new users go somewhere other than here!

First use of Azure, got a new VM, it suggests I set up "auto-shutoff", when I try to do, but the save button is grayed out, and when I try to leave page, it suggests I'll lose my edits.
    So, I click the "Feedback" link, which brings me to this "Lab Services" forum, where everyone I see with the same question is barked at to file a support request. I just want to know why "Save" is grayed out. I've used web pages before where once you make a change, the "Save" button appears or changes color. Azure doesn't do…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)