Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure Lab Services?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow for greater variety of auto-shutdown schedules

Allow for greater variety of auto-shutdown schedules

E.g.:
    - multiple times per day;
    - various days in the week;
    - weekends;
    - recurring dates;
    - one-time; etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The option to suspend auto shutdown for a few hours

It would be a very nice feature to suspend the auto shutdown for a few hours. I.e. when you are working late or have a long running process that you expect to finish a few hours after the auto shutdown time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to auto shutdown VM when no user is active for X minutes

While the auto shutdown on a daily basis is great, if I haven't been logged in for an hour it would be nice if the machine would shut down automatically. This is especially true as I am experimenting with developing using an Azure VM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Attach Multiple Data Disks With ARM Template / Via Portal

There are no options to create and attach data disks when creating a new resource within the DTL GUI.

When using an ARM template to deploy a VM with an attached data disk it appears I am only able to attach one disk using the following syntax:

"dataDiskParameters": [
    {
    "attachNewDataDiskOptions":
    {
    "diskSizeGiB": "32",
    "diskName": "[concat(parameters('newVMName'), '-IIS')]",
    "diskType": "Standard"
    }
    }
    ],

Attempting to add multiple lines to create other disks is ignored and only one disk is ever added.

It would be very useful for my users if they were able to specify whether they would like to attach…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Multiple Auto-Shutdown Times for each VMs

Be able to implement multiple auto-shutdown times for each VMs through the portal.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Claim VM using a specific tag

"az lab vm claim" command in CLI should allow claiming of VMs that tagged with a specific tag:
    az lab vm claim -tag XYZ <rest of params>

This would be useful when VMs are created in different ways, and then tagged appropriately. For example I might create 50 VMs with a certain version of my app, and tag them as "V1", and 50 more VMs with a newer version of my app tagged as "V2". And users should be able to claim a VM from any of the two versions by specifying the tag in the command.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Having the right to stop/start a VM should imply also having the right to schedule automatic shutdown.

It makes little sense to me to separate the two rights for the same VM. It would simplify administration if I didn't have to contact a manager just to not have the VM suddenly die when I need to work late.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The schedule is applied at two levels viz. lab level and VM level.
    Depending on the policy applied by your lab owner, you as a lab user can modify the schedule on your machine.
    The policies include:
    - Lab user can modify schedule and/or opt out
    - Lab user can modify schedule but cannot opt out
    - Lab user cannot modify schedule nor opt out

If you are not able to modify the schedule, it might be because of the policy your lab owner has set on the lab.

Hope this helps!

8. Ability to restore VM's to original state post creation

At present we can create snapshots of the VM's however no further use unless we create VHD's and then manually re-create VM again which require much more efforts. Instead please add some functionality to store the VM states where the restore of VM to the point saved can be completed. For example system restore function is used to restore the system state in this case VM with data should be stored or saved to restore to the restore points instead of just system or OS data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. would be nice to get a "power this machine now" - link, with notification mail. to allow for it to shut down and have a handy up link.

would be nice to get a "power this machine now" - link, with notification mail. to allow for it to shut down and have a handy up link.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Is there is possibility to define create a pool of Auto shutdown VM's and set shut down if idle, but start when load exceed 50%

Is there is possibility to define create a pool of Auto shutdown VM's and set shut down if idle, but start VM when load exceeds on any server in pool by 50-60%

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Give permissions to Manage Resource Groups Created by VMs in DevTest Lab

When Creating a VM in Dev Test Labs they are created in new Resource Groups. Since Resource Groups can not contained within each other, they are created "parallel" to the Resoruce Group the DevTest Lab is contained in.

The newly created Resoruce Groups should automatically have the same Users with the same Roles assigned to them, so i can manage and configure the RBAC on one Resource Group containing the DevTest Lab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. automatic start and shut down during the weekend

different time for automatic start and shut down during the weekend

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bug found in Azure Pipelines Agent - DevTest Labs

To reproduce, create a new Windows 10 VM in DevTest Labs with an ampersand (&) in the password.

Add the Azure Pipelines Agent to configure an agent in Azure DevOps.

Enter details in the artifact configuration pane, and specify the VM user/password for logon. Use the saved secret option.

Notice that the pipeline agent fails with the following message:
    Testing agent connection.
    2019-01-24 14:36:46Z: Settings Saved.
    ERROR: Invalid windows credentials entered. Try again or ctrl-c to quit

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. VM size explanation column

Would be great to have a description field for VM size list to explain customers the use case of specific vm varieties

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base