Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow for greater variety of auto-shutdown schedules

Allow for greater variety of auto-shutdown schedules

E.g.:
    - multiple times per day;
    - various days in the week;
    - weekends;
    - recurring dates;
    - one-time; etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure Bastion: DevTest Labs support

DevTest Labs users should have an option to use Azure Bastion to connect their VM when clicking "Connect" in DevTest Labs VM blade in Azure Portal.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Multiple Auto-Shutdown Times for each VMs

Be able to implement multiple auto-shutdown times for each VMs through the portal.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to restore VM's to original state post creation

At present we can create snapshots of the VM's however no further use unless we create VHD's and then manually re-create VM again which require much more efforts. Instead please add some functionality to store the VM states where the restore of VM to the point saved can be completed. For example system restore function is used to restore the system state in this case VM with data should be stored or saved to restore to the restore points instead of just system or OS data.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. delete unused VMs in DevTest Labs

As an extension to the expiry date in DTL, an option to auto-delete VMs not used for xx days would be awesome.
    Maybe even a warning e-mail to the VM owner before the deletion

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Option to auto shutdown VM when no user is active for X minutes

While the auto shutdown on a daily basis is great, if I haven't been logged in for an hour it would be nice if the machine would shut down automatically. This is especially true as I am experimenting with developing using an Azure VM

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Attach Multiple Data Disks With ARM Template / Via Portal

There are no options to create and attach data disks when creating a new resource within the DTL GUI.

When using an ARM template to deploy a VM with an attached data disk it appears I am only able to attach one disk using the following syntax:

"dataDiskParameters": [

{
    "attachNewDataDiskOptions":
    {
    "diskSizeGiB": "32",
    "diskName": "[concat(parameters('newVMName'), '-IIS')]",
    "diskType": "Standard"
    }
    }
    ],

Attempting to add multiple lines to create other disks is ignored and only one disk is ever added.

It would be very useful for my users if they were able to specify whether they would like to attach…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Select NSG for DevTest Labs VM on creation

Currently there is no way to select a VM-level NSG for a DevTest Labs VM. In order to allow both VM-level and subnet-level NSGs to both be applied to a VM (for example, per policy requirements). This should be possible when creating a VM in DevTest Labs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Overview 'My virtual machines' has a scrollbar for both column values and column titles

In the overview tab, 'My virtual machines' has a scroll bar for both the columns titles and column values.

I believe this wasn't intended and isn't often seen. Typically they move together so you can more easily associate values with titles/labels.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Could not create new machine after clicking "Create" button

Could not create new machine after clicking "Create" button, no response.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. postpone or cancel auto shutdown

I have my VM set to shut down at 7PM, however I'd like an ability to skip the shutdown on a particular day, in case I am working late.
    Currently I have to delete the auto shutdown and enable it again once 7PM had passed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Custom advanced notice for auto-shutdown notification

It looks like the only option for the auto-shutdown notification is the default 30mins. It would be great if I could adjust it (to say 2 hrs) so that I can get the notification during my workday when I'm still checking email.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Feature Request : Auto turn off rule like "turn off after 30 minutes from logoff"

Feature Request : Auto turn off rule like "turn off in 30 minutes after last logoff"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Don't send DevTestLabs shutdown notifications for production VM's

We are receiving notifications with a subject line of "Alert—Auto-shutdown of virtual machine <machine name> in 30 minutes.

The VM in question is, I am assured by our infrastructure team, in a production resource group, in a production subscription, with a production SLA.

It does have an automatic shutdown configured by some mechanism, but I do not know the mechanism.

Notifications from microsoft should not be stating that this is a notification from DevTest labs, since the VM is not in a DevTest Lab according to the infrastructure team.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The auto shutdown for Azure Compute VMs can be disabled and is not something that needs to be enforced on the machine.
    If you are the owner of the VM and using it for a production scenario, you should be able to opt out of the shutdown schedule to ensure your VM will keep running. Do you own the VM you are talking about?

The shutdown mechanism is provided by the DTL team, however the message should not say DevTest Labs unless the VM is in a lab. Can you confirm if your VM is in fact outside of a lab?

If you are using a DTL VM, it is meant to be used for Dev and Test scenarios only and shutdown can be set at lab level by your lab owner and at lab VM level depending on the level of control you have on setting DTL VM level…

16. Time Format for Auto-Shutdown on Portal

The format or way of selecting time on the Portal needs to be improved.

E.g.
    allow 24hr clock option
    schedule up and down times across a given week start/stop
    (date selection covered in a different posted idea)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support auto-shutdown that does a deallocate as well

Auto-shutdown is great, but I'd like it to deallocate as well, so I don't get charged. That's my primary reason for wanting auto-shutdown, so I don't get charged for a playground VM twiddling its thumbs overnight.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. autoshutdown manual default value

Oftentimes admin has same single or few needs of values for autoshutdown TZ and hour.
    Would be nice to have be able to set default value in webUI (or use saved user profiles if you plan to add more flexibility and choices to that option)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Azure Dev Test Labs new VM azure hybrid option while using Microsoft base images.

If possible can we include an option to choose Azure Hybrid option while creating VM's in the Dev Test Lab using Microsoft base images so that we can use BYOL.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base