How can we improve Microsoft Azure Lab Services?

Set shutdown multiple times during a day

I would like to schedule shutdown and start-up multiple times a day. Ideally I want a shutdown at 12:01 PM, 5:00 PM, 10:00 PM, 12:00 AM, 2:00 AM, and 4:00 AM. I don't want the servers running unless it is being used.

8 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Erik McCarty shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting the idea! Could you please help us to understand why you need auto-shutdown to be triggered so many times during a day? If someone needs to use the VM after the scheduled auto-shutdown time, DevTest Labs today allows you to set auto-shutdown notification, which allows users to delay the shutdown for an hour or two (and if so, then they will get another notification with options to delay). Does it work in your case?

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Erik W McCarty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If auto-shutdown occurs at 5pm, and I turn it back on at 6 because I'm working after dinner, then it runs for the next 23 hours if I forget to shut it off. I normally get to bed around 10pm, so I want my test server shutting down at 10:00 without relying on my memory. However one of the other devs works until midnight many nights, another sometimes gets up at midnight and works till 4:00 am. However these systems are typically un-monitored and can remain off except when we need them. So I want to be able to customize the off times to meet our various schedules.

Feedback and Knowledge Base